TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Brifla

Is the top bag seal that Pauloh is referring to along the top and sides where the two sections come together? Isn't this seal exposed the same whether the TM is open or closed? Or am I missing something here?
Although, it would seem a good idea to keep covered from the elements to prolong its life.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
Is the top bag seal that Pauloh is referring to along the top and sides where the two sections come together? Isn't this seal exposed the same whether the TM is open or closed? Or am I missing something here?
No, I'm the one missing something, thanks for pointing out my error...I forgot that seal is out in the elements, no matter TM closed or open. I do have a custom cover on the (closed) TM most of the time, but the previous owner had it set up a lot without the cover on. So again, maybe it's the UV exposure which caused our roof bag seal to crack, but possibly something else I hadn't thought of. It just now occurred to me that once or twice while following my wife (who was towing the TM), I've seen the front shell "bounce" up to 1 inch when the TM hits a bump. Maybe by compressing the seal on the bounce that's caused the cracked seal or made it worse over time. It does look like there is sun damage to the seal though.

Having dragged this thread off course, I will post a photo of the failing bag seal in case someone is curious. I've since put some gaffer tape over the cracked area, which is left of center (like me ) when seen from the back of the TM. Made sure it was bone dry before doing so. My nearest TM dealer is 6 hours away and this was a much cheaper fix for the time being and I can live with it....caused no issues I could see during several weeks of use last summer, including rainstorms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110717-1418.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	7023  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Mkilmurry

I live in a neighborhood with a home owners association and rules about campers. They are not allowed on the street or the driveways or visible by the neighbors. I have my TM parked on the side of the house, closed and with an Adco cover. You can see the TM from both the road and the neighbors house, but it seems less obtrusive, almost like a car with a cover.

I haven't gotten a 'letter' yet.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
T and C
TrailManor Master

Folks,

I know what a gaffer is in the tv/movie industry. I have never heard of "gaffer's tape". What is it?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Folks,

I know what a gaffer is in the tv/movie industry. I have never heard of "gaffer's tape". What is it?

Tom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Tim
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Scottie Dogs

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilmurry View Post
I live in a neighborhood with a home owners association and rules about campers. They are not allowed on the street or the driveways or visible by the neighbors. I have my TM parked on the side of the house, closed and with an Adco cover. You can see the TM from both the road and the neighbors house, but it seems less obtrusive, almost like a car with a cover.

I haven't gotten a 'letter' yet.
I got the same problem but you are lucky you have enough room on the side of your house. We are aloud to keep it on the street for 72 hours to get ready for a trip which is nice. We live in a 55+ village, so many people hit the road in their motorhomes/trailers during the summer, they have to bring them home from storage, clean them up load and turn on the frig. I keep my TM in the garage.

My 2000 S-10 stays outside now that is legal.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	7027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	7028  
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
happybeebob

Scottie Dogs:
A three car garage. "You do have a wonderful set up". My mouth waters.

Bob
Old 03-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Folks,

Not sure what wikipedia will say, but here's my "take": Gaffer tape is somewhat like duct tape but (in my experience) more cloth-like, non-reflective and available in various colors. In movie/photo studios there would be myriad uses for it. One nice feature is that even though it sticks very well, good-quality gaffer tape can usually be pulled off later (even much later) without leaving any residue behind...duct (or "duck") tape often leaves a gooey mess, especially after being heated in the sun. Either that or it falls off and leaves baked-on glue behind.

Major photo-supply stores will carry duct tape (bhphotovideo.com) but it will cost several times more than a roll of cheap duct tape. And honestly, there may be better material for fixing the TM bag seal, but I had the gaffer tape on hand.

Guess I should change my signature...I have used some gaffer tape (bag seal repair), and some vinyl tape (air conditioner shell repair), and maybe even some aluminum tape (can't remember where), but I think I have removed all the duct tape from my TM!
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #19
moaboy

Scottie D,

Your place looks very similar to good friends of mine who live in Sun City Grand. How far are from there ? Is your place a Del Webb community?
They are nice.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Scottie D,

Your place looks very similar to good friends of mine who live in Sun City Grand. How far are from there ? Is your place a Del Webb community?
They are nice.

We are a good distance from there about 70 miles, we are in the far east valley and they are in the far west valley Surprise AZ. We are right on the other side of Apache Junction. We bought our TM in Surprise what a trip but happy we did that...

Remember no basements in Arizona, (ground is like a rock) and we don’t have a second story either just one floor, the 3 car garage is a necessity as far as I am concerned. People make a mistake not getting the 3 car garage when they move here and they regret it for storage or a small boat or a TM. We are from Chicago with basements all our lives so this was a huge adjustment. We don’t store useless stuff anymore.

We love it here, since 1995.

Dave

http://www.goldcanyon.net/