TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Fasterskis

Default Main Fuse Blown

The traditional main glass in-line fuse on my 2008 TM has blown today. The in-line holder was beat up and the fuse was stuck inside. Solder melted in the cap. It was a 32v 30amp fuse. I'm not ready to make big changes to the batteries or converter at this time but I would like to upgrade this fuse and wiring to the battery.

Questions:
is there a preference for blade style fuse and holder vs Circuit breaker style?
The original fuse was a 32v can it be swapped out for a 24v?
Should the fuse actually be on the negative side instead of the positive? I thought I read someone posted that here.

Thanks in advance. Electrical is not my specialty. But I'm learning.
Fasterskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

That is what I did. I picked up a blade fuse assembly at the auto parts store and installed. I think it was a 30 amp assembly.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't think the glass fuse actually blew because of an overload. Although the holder is OK at lower current, it is not really adequate at 30 amps. It tends to heat up, which increases the resistance, which makes it heat up more, and finally it gets hot enough to melt the solder that holds it together internally.

A blade fuse and holder is a great answer. A self-resetting circuit breaker is more expensive, but better because it is self-resetting. In my case, I never found that the fuse blew often enough (i.e., never) to justify the cost of a circuit breaker. But other opinions are different, and that's OK. The choice is yours.

As for voltage, any automotive fuse will do the job. The holders come in two or three different physical sizes, and you just need to be sure you get a fuse size that matches the holder. And buy a couple spare fuses - that's the best way to guarantee you won't need one.

Finally, no, you shouldn't put the fuse in the negative line. In household wiring, this is against code because it is dangerous. Because automotive systems operate at lower voltage, there is less danger - but there is no reason to do it. Keep it (and all interrupt devices including fuses and switches) in the positive line.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb A circuit breaker needs no spare, and also provides a battery load shut-off.

In storage, you can simply switch off the circuit breaker to kill "phantom loads".

This cheap one from Amazon (or Ebay) does a great job, and clamps all sizes of wires (up to about 2AWG) very firmly. Stripped wire ends go straight in the ends, no need to mess with wrapping the wires around a round post. I have lots of these things, but mostly with higher Amperage (I have LiFePO4 batteries, an Inverter, and other things).

https://www.amazon.com/Podoy-Circuit...dp/B01HJKMZPG/