TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
woodbinite

Default Construction Detals - Plumbing protection cage

I'm about to install a plumbing protection cage and need some information. These questions apply to a 2006 3124. Does any one know the plywood floor thickness under the tub area? I'd like to lag bolt the rear of the cage in the location just aft of the fan housing. Second, are the exterior walls mounted onto steel channel, and if so, does anyone know it's size? It would make a great anchor point also for the rear of the cage. The front portion of the cage will mount to the steel extension behind the wheel well. Thanks in advance.
Ralph, Darlene and Otto
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
woodbinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I not long ago installed a flush toilet in our TM, so I had to do a little cutting on the plywood. I assume it is the same under the tub. Just going from memory, I'm pretty sure the plywood sub-floor was thicker than 1/2". So either 5/8 or 3/4, so my educated guess is 5/8".

Below that was the foam layer and the sheet aluminum bottom skin, probably 3/4" total thickness for that as well.
oldstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up use the edge

see page 22 on my website. I installed a cage and use the frame, outrigger and the very edge on the bottom outside part. There it is really thick since it is a beam on the edge, but all of the stress will be on the frame attachments and the piece on the edge will be pushed up by the flapping tread so it won't take as much pounding as the front of the cage. I used 1" lag bolts there.
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
woodbinite

Default Construction Details

Thanks for the info. I had a cage mfg very similar to the one previously posted by MisterP, 3/16" aluminum. I'll post some pictures after I install it. Although I know what a good weld is, I can't make one.
For Tom..the box beam section behind your tire is different from mine. I have a gusset similar to what you'd see welded onto a commercial truck cab to attach a mud flap. TM used the right part AND saved some weight there I guess.
Ralph, Darlene and Otto
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Im under the impression there is a 2x4 along the outer edge. The floor is laminated aluminum, thin plywood (1/8 or 1/4), Styrofoam about 3" , thin plywood (1/8 or 1/4), aluminum. Some areas don't have the Styrofoam because there are wire and pluming channels cut out of the Styrofoam.

Except for the outer edges, I don't think I would be using lags.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Exclamation scrimping again

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinite View Post
Thanks for the info. I had a cage mfg very similar to the one previously posted by MisterP, 3/16" aluminum. I'll post some pictures after I install it. Although I know what a good weld is, I can't make one.
For Tom..the box beam section behind your tire is different from mine. I have a gusset similar to what you'd see welded onto a commercial truck cab to attach a mud flap. TM used the right part AND saved some weight there I guess.
How much weight do you think they saved ....3...4 lbs. maybe....why can't manufacturers stick to one plan....case in point, the faucet washer! How many different ones are there? Anyways...good luck with that and I hope you had them bend a flange on the inside edge so you can attach it to the frame....I guess you could use some 90° angle brackets for that also, but the outside edge should be fine to use.
Tom
Old 07-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
woodbinite

Default Plumbing Protection Cage

I installed the cage yesterday. As Art and Joyce noted, there is no plywood to attach the cage in the area under the tub. So at the aft end, I attached a bracket to the cage and then to the box frame, then I attached the cage to the 2 x (?) at/near the outside edge of the exterior wall. At the forward end, I attached the cage to the steel gusset angle that extends out from the box frame behind the wheel well. In the middle of the cage, I attached the cage support "clip" to the box frame too. All in all, it seems very robust and I hope it is never needed. I paid a local fab shop to make the cage from 3/16" aluminum plate, following (somewhat) the design I found here from a "MisterP" post from 2010. The cage weighs approx. 12lbs., about the same as an extra heavy duty mud flap. I paid $98 for the cage, and about $5 for the attaching hardware. Here's my attempt at pictures;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	13766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	13767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	13768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	13769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	13770  

Ralph, Darlene and Otto
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Thumbs up Good Job!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinite View Post
I installed the cage yesterday. As Art and Joyce noted, there is no plywood to attach the cage in the area under the tub. So at the aft end, I attached a bracket to the cage and then to the box frame, then I attached the cage to the 2 x (?) at/near the outside edge of the exterior wall. At the forward end, I attached the cage to the steel gusset angle that extends out from the box frame behind the wheel well. In the middle of the cage, I attached the cage support "clip" to the box frame too. All in all, it seems very robust and I hope it is never needed. I paid a local fab shop to make the cage from 3/16" aluminum plate, following (somewhat) the design I found here from a "MisterP" post from 2010. The cage weighs approx. 12lbs., about the same as an extra heavy duty mud flap. I paid $98 for the cage, and about $5 for the attaching hardware. Here's my attempt at pictures;
That will save your pipes for sure. I think everyone should do this...blowouts are not if, but when and on the street side is the worst!. I am thinking of making a cage inset that will go inside the wheel well to protect it from coming apart like mine did at the arc radius seam. It spewed rubber all inside the cabinets under the stove so I want to avoid that problem as well. I have heard of a blowout taking out cabinets and all...yikes! I already have a new wheel well that I can use as a pattern to cut the expanded steel grid. Then all I'll have to do is weld the two pieces together.
Tom...the endless mod man...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
deim11

Just installed my cage in time before long weekend camping trip. Design is mostly influenced by the woodbinite's work. I just did a minor updates to sizes and per the request from metal fabricators had to add values for angles. I have no welding equipment, neither a bending bar (or whatever it is called) for metal that thick - 3/16" aluminum.

At the front it is mounted with stainless steel 3/8"x1" bolts and nylon locking nuts.
Middle bar - stainless steel self-tapping screws 3/8"x1".
Back plate (small square one) - also stainless steel self-tapping screws 3/8"x1".
Back, closest to the trailer's side - I used existing lag bolt. Had to slightly shave a couple of mm's to fit there - you can see it on 4th pic.
All bolts and screws are with rubber washers on both sides of aluminum (I used 3M adhesive spray to keep it in proper positions )

I cheated - there is a missing 3rd bolt at the front. To drill that hole in a frame I had to remove the wheel, and I was too tired and miserable of doing it at 11:30pm under the pouring rain.
Btw, tarp over the roof of TM does not protect from water, running along the wall (and right on my head while I was mounting cage )

Huge thanks to everyone who was/is part of this discussion here!!! I feel MUCH safer now having cage installed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrtyPMW.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	14019   Click image for larger version

Name:	LUcZVRl.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	14020   Click image for larger version

Name:	dFKj0SC.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	14021   Click image for larger version

Name:	QOITfhY.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	14022   Click image for larger version

Name:	mHuqYLa.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	14023  

Name:	TM 2720SL cage.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	14024  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM 2720SL cage.pdf (45.3 KB, 36 views)
deim11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
woodbinite

Default Plumbing protection cage

Great Job! Looks like a professional installation. Very nice work on the drawing too. Anyone can take that drawing and have a cage built, and that's golden. You're good to go now. Happy trails!
Ralph, Darlene and Otto
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]