TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
JBYRNE7844

Default Fantastic fan

I went to open and turn on the fantastic fan for the first time. I assume that I would have to turn the large knurled knob to open the vent but all it seemed to do was move it ever so slightly.

Is there something on the roof I have to unlatch? It also would not turn on but figured it was because it was in the closed position.
Thanks

Jimmy B.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
TREXHUNTERS
Site Sponsor

There are 3 knobs on the opposite side from the big one that lifts the vent. One is the speed control(middle), one is the fuse(inboard), and the last one which is on the outside is the latch to keep the vent secure.

You need to rotate this small latch knob to release the latch, then you can raise the vent with the big knob, then turn on the fan. You should be able to see the latch/keeper through the vent as you turn the knob.

This is all from inside the camper.

trex

2008 3124KB,1kw Honda gen.
2021 Toyota Tundra DC, 4WD
TREXHUNTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
JBYRNE7844

Default Fantastic fan

Thanks Trex, I'll check that out.....
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
JBYRNE7844

Default Fantastic Fan

Trex,
Just checked it out. I have the large knob on one side and on the opposite side is the fuse and the speed selector. No latch. This is a 2004 so maybe different than yours.
Jimmy B.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

When we installed our new one, I kind of remember them giving us a small tube of silicone lubricant that was supposed to be applied somewhere, I'm thinking maybe to keep the gasket from sticking from the lid, or protect it from UV damage, or both? Maybe the gasket is sticking to the lid. If it is, you really don't want to force it.

You can't turn it on while it's closed.

I'd turn the knob enough so that there is some pressure to open it, but not a lot, and then from the outside see if you can gently pry the vent open just a bit.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBYRNE7844 View Post
I went to open and turn on the fantastic fan for the first time. I assume that I would have to turn the large knurled knob to open the vent but all it seemed to do was move it ever so slightly.

Is there something on the roof I have to unlatch? It also would not turn on but figured it was because it was in the closed position.
Thanks

Jimmy B.
There is nothing on the roof. The fan won't turn on until the lid is open at least a couple inches. The large knurled knob should open the lid. Although there is some slack in the mechanism, two or three turns of the knob should pop open the lid and begin to raise it. Is this not what you are experiencing?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There is nothing on the roof. The fan won't turn on until the lid is open at least a couple inches. The large knurled knob should open the lid. Although there is some slack in the mechanism, two or three turns of the knob should pop open the lid and begin to raise it. Is this not what you are experiencing?

Bill
If it hasn't been opened for a long time in a hot climate, the vent cover can stick to the seal.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
JBYRNE7844

Default Fantastic fan

I'm thinking it is stuck on the gasket. I meet alot of resistance on the knurled knob. Lord knows when it was opened last by the previous owner.
I'll give it a little more beef behind the turning.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
JBYRNE7844

Default Fantastic fan

It turned out that the vent was stuck to the gasket and I just had to exert more force on the knob until it "Popped" open. I mean literaly popped when freed. Opens and closes great now.

Thanks for all the help!
Jimmy B.