TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
johnbill2720QS

Smile New to TM new to this forum as of today

My wife and I bought our first trailer about 2 months ago--TM2720QS. So far we have driven it home from the dealer and had it in a local RV park with full hook-up for three days as we finished up cleaning out half of our double car garage. It fits. BUT we need to get a new garage door to accommodate the AC without having to tip the old wooden one-piece door up for that extra 2 inches. Surprise.

I suspect my wife wants to go the full hook-up route and I want to be out in the real deal and not in a parking lot full of RV's. On my bucket list is driving to Alaska--if we take the trailer we can have some freedom about where we stay since we are terrible at staying on schedule.

Interested in mods for boondocking and more than a little concerned about the recirculating toilet and its small capacity. Solar panels vs generator for electric for my wife's happiness if not in a full hook-up situatione
johnbill2720QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Tymanthius

A previous owner of mine put a soft-start on the AC, which is nice b/c I can run the ac on 110 15A circuit (tested at home) and supposedly a 2000W generator (not tested yet).

You may want to look at going that route.

I want to purchase a propane (really dual fuel) genny and just run it from the on-board bottles. But I'll need to make a hook up for that.
SoftStart AC*
Futon Style Couch*

*All done by previous owners
Tymanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbill2720QS View Post
Interested in mods for boondocking and more than a little concerned about the recirculating toilet and its small capacity. Solar panels vs generator for electric for my wife's happiness if not in a full hook-up situatione
Well this is open for a WHOLE lot of reply's and opinions. I suggest you use the search tool and look up boon docking...but i'll give you my personal @.02 but first ask your self these Q's
* Where are you planning on going?
* How long?
* What time of year?
* How many people will be in the trailer?

For me, these q's are
-Usually within a couple hours of the house. ( I live in Northern UT)
-Three days
-Three seasons
-Two

For 95% of the camping I do, my two 6v batteries and a small solar panel keeps me in all the power I need. (I converted all the lights to LED's, and use a small TV for entertainment if its too cold outside). If I plan on camping in a HOT environment I have a generator I can use to cool the TM off in the evening before bedtime, but I don't like to take it if I don't have too. It's heavy, bulky and although fairly quiet it does make noise :mad)

As for the potty Q, unlike others on this forum I have had NO issues with my toilet (Granted, I have only had it out for two three night stays). But I have a portable tote should the need arise...but again, one more thing to carry with us. At our first outing we used the camp potty's for all but the nocturnal necessaries and we didn't even break 1/4 of the tanks capacity. On our second trip for three days, there was no camp potty so all of our adventures were carried out "in-house" and we were just slightly above 1/2 of its max.

I also think your frame of mind and attitude makes a difference. What I mean is.... Are you (or your DW) expecting a mobile motel room with all of the comforts of home...Or are you having a camping adventure. Run out of battery power? No problem, break out the Coleman lantern or candles! Water running low? Skip the shower and use only paper plates and plastic wear. Too warm in the trailer? Make sure all the windows are wide open and sleep "Au Natural".

If your DW expectations are room service and caviar, then by all means do all that you need to do to make her as pampered as you can. I once got great advice from a friend. "If your wife has to everything camping, that she does at home but under austere circumstances, it wont be much of a vacation for her"
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbill2720QS View Post
It fits. BUT we need to get a new garage door to accommodate the AC without having to tip the old wooden one-piece door up for that extra 2 inches.
I've never had the pleasure of using a one-piece wooden door. When you say you will get a new garage door, do you mean a conventional multiple-section door on rollers? If so, you may be aware that those things have an adjustable open height (in other words, how far up the track it moves before stopping at full open). Be sure you mount the opener far enough back (away from the opening) at the top end of the track to accommodate the extra height. Hmmm - for more clarity, see post #17 here
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ead.php?t=5571

Quote:
... more than a little concerned about the recirculating toilet and its small capacity.
You know, it may sound strange, but I'm beginning to think that folks who have a recirc toilet, and don't like it, should remove it, install one of the other toilets (M28?) in its place, and stash the recirc unit away. A lot of folks like me actually like the recirc, and when it fails, we will be looking for a used replacement unit. I bet there is going to be a growing market for those things, and the prices can only go up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #5
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You know, it may sound strange, but I'm beginning to think that folks who have a recirc toilet, and don't like it, should remove it, install one of the other toilets (M28?) in its place, and stash the recirc unit away. A lot of folks like me actually like the recirc, and when it fails, we will be looking for a used replacement unit. I bet there is going to be a growing market for those things, and the prices can only go up.

Bill
How do they "fail"? Can we get replacement/spare parts?
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 01-11-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
How do they "fail"? Can we get replacement/spare parts?
There are not very many things that can fail. The hardest to deal with is cracks in the plastic top, where the seat bears down.
Bottom line cause is that Thetford did not put enough of the hard rubber cushions on the underside of the seat. You can buy more of these cushions at many hardware stores, and I would suggest adding several to the underside of the seat as a preventive measure. If the cracks have already happened, they can be repaired at a plastic fabricator shop.You can find details in this thread
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=10819

One of the most common failures is the gasket in the Slide-EZ dump valve. At one time, you could buy the entire valve, or just the rubber parts that allowed you to rebuild the assembly.

The foam donut, similar to the wax ring in a household toilet, but a different size, is probably used by other manufacturers, and so should continue to be available. The level gauge, and the pump, seem indestructible.

Is it possible to get replacement parts for the recirculating toilet? Thetford announced that they had discontinued the toilet, and that they had no parts available. It is possible that there are some parts for sale in RV parts stores or on eBay. But with no manufacturing behind them, the stock will diminish, and it will get to be harder and harder to find what you need.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill! I will look into the seat issue when the TM gets out of hibernation, and see about the rubber "bushings". From what I gathered from the previous owner, the potty wasn't used much, so hopefully it will have a few more years in it.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 01-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There are not very many things that can fail. The hardest to deal with is cracks in the plastic top, where the seat bears down.
Bottom line cause is that Thetford did not put enough of the hard rubber cushions on the underside of the seat. You can buy more of these cushions at many hardware stores, and I would suggest adding several to the underside of the seat as a preventive measure. If the cracks have already happened, they can be repaired at a plastic fabricator shop.You can find details in this thread
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=10819

One of the most common failures is the gasket in the Slide-EZ dump valve. At one time, you could buy the entire valve, or just the rubber parts that allowed you to rebuild the assembly.

The foam donut, similar to the wax ring in a household toilet, but a different size, is probably used by other manufacturers, and so should continue to be available. The level gauge, and the pump, seem indestructible.

Is it possible to get replacement parts for the recirculating toilet? Thetford announced that they had discontinued the toilet, and that they had no parts available. It is possible that there are some parts for sale in RV parts stores or on eBay. But with no manufacturing behind them, the stock will diminish, and it will get to be harder and harder to find what you need.

Bill
I found and picked up one of the last NEW recirc toilets! It's currently sitting in my garage. We liked it so much that I decided to get one before repairing the old one wouldn't be an option. Bill's right, there isn't much that can go wrong, and if you install a vent kit there will be no smell either. Emptying the recirc toilet is as easy as pulling a lever if you have full hookups. Depending on use, you can get several days or longer. With a family of 4, we could probably go 2 days. In fact, the family would probably fill the grey water tank first.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #9
Stephene1219

I only do boondocking. I had a T@B 320 CSS prior and was all over the US and Canada. Have upgraded to a 29/22.

If you are really boondocking the you must have solar. I have added solar so I have 450w of solar power. It cam with 100w and a 30 Amp controller. A 30 Amp controller can handle 600w of solar power. I add 2 175w Renogy flexible solar panels. I added 2 125 AMP AGM batteries wired in parallel. AS long as there is some sun I have never had an issue with power. Last year I did a 7,000 mile US and Canada cross country trip and only stayed in 4 campgrounds with power.

If you are really staying off grid then a generator can work. You need to carry gas and it is noisy. Most campgrounds today have limited or curtailed generator use.
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #10
GigEmAgz95

we just got a TM as well - Long story short: GET THE SOFT START as Tymanthius spoke above ! ! !

previous owners installed it, and we are able to fire the WHOLE CAMPER UP, with electric, run fans, A/C, water heaters, etc...off of our GFCI outlet on side of house. I thin the converter costs $200 + Labor?? he paid for it, not me..but the convenience of normal house power to PREP the TM before you leave and check systems? Priceless.
GigEmAgz95 is offline   Reply With Quote