TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Furnace mod/fix question...

Hey Bruce, when you did the fix on your furnace, how much sheet meal work was involved? Can you give an estimate on any materials I may need?

My Elk is in a storage lot, so I'd like to be prepared when I go to work on it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Hey Bruce, when you did the fix on your furnace, how much sheet meal work was involved? Can you give an estimate on any materials I may need?

My Elk is in a storage lot, so I'd like to be prepared when I go to work on it. Thanks in advance.
I purchased a small furnace vent (use metal, it gets hot) and mounted it vertically under the pullout bed. IIRC the vent was positioned so only a single cut on the front plate of the furnace was necessary to accommodate it. Metal duct tape was used to seal it all together.
EDIT: Maybe not, perhaps two cuts, removing a piece down the middle, was necessary.

The flexible side vent to the bathroom was replaced with smooth-side Aluminum dryer duct and insulated. Leave space for more batteries if that's in the future.

A new large return vent was mounted low on the bedroom partition.
Misc. screws will be needed.

Think that's about it. Not much really.

You will need some wood cutting tools, but IIRC a sharp knife is all I used to cut through the thin plywood and fabric. I removed the front furnace plate and did that cutting in my workshop. You could probably do it with a hack saw if it was clamped somehow (or maybe even tin snips, I don't recall).

EDIT: and while you are in there, make sure the furnace is securely mounted. Ours was just forced in place and not screwed down.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Redhawk

Thank you very much....
Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Redhawk

I'm mainly concerned with the upholstry part of it. What did you do with the fabric?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I'm mainly concerned with the upholstry part of it. What did you do with the fabric?
Once I figured out where to put the vent, I marked the four corners and used a razor to cut the fabric.

Made four cuts, one from each corner to the centre, or similar. No fabric was cut out.

Then folded the fabric wedges out of the way and cut the panel (with the razor too IIRC).

Then the fabric wedges can be pushed into the hole and folded around the edges, trimmed if necessary, and the vent inserted.

I forget how the vent is attached, maybe it was just a tight fit?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
brulaz

Oh and by the way. The existing small round vent to the living area? Initially I just blocked it off. Now I have a couple of 12V receptacles mounted in it for charging the portable computers when boondocking.