TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
scoobysue

Default Scared to Drive with TM.......

My boyfriend has taken me all over this summer/fall with our tm that we love. I feel bad because I desperately want to learn how to drive the TV with the TM but I'm terrifed that I'm going to mess up and hit something. Driving straight on interstates/highways doesn't scare me as bad as possibly driving on small narrow roads, bridges, or roads that are under construction..... People aren't very considerate of people with campers so changing lanes and all that can be tricky. Plus it's soo hard to see behind the tm or around it. Any suggestions on helping me ease into driving with the tm?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Travler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysue View Post
My boyfriend has taken me all over this summer/fall with our tm that we love. I feel bad because I desperately want to learn how to drive the TV with the TM but I'm terrifed that I'm going to mess up and hit something. Driving straight on interstates/highways doesn't scare me as bad as possibly driving on small narrow roads, bridges, or roads that are under construction..... People aren't very considerate of people with campers so changing lanes and all that can be tricky. Plus it's soo hard to see behind the tm or around it. Any suggestions on helping me ease into driving with the tm?
Ya just have to make up your mind to do it..and take your time.......make all your lane changes well in advance of your turn. And DO NOT allow any BACKSEAT DRIVERS. and you will be fine.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
wmtire

Is it just the trailmanor, or is it 'any' trailer towing that you don't have experience with?

If it's any trailer, then I would suggest practicing in a big empty(ish) parking lot, like maybe a mall or something on a sunday morning. You can drive up and down the lanes in the parking lot, and practice turning, where you will be able to get the hang of how the trailer pulls behind you. You'll need to fully understand (with practice) of how the trailer tracks behind the tow vehicle, and how wide you will need to make turns in order for the trailer to come around with you, without running it up over curbs, or other vehicles.

You could take some plastic orange cones to set up, and practice turning around them, or even backing the trailer in between them (which is the advanced course ).

Make sure to adjust the mirrors to fit you, not your boyfriend. Your mirrors are your best friends when towing trailers. Set the mirrors where you can see the sides of the trailer and the tires, while you are practicing. You can then look in the mirror when making the turns, to see exactly where the trailer tires are going across the lines at. Practice widening your turns out with the tow vehicle, until you get the trailer to turn where it needs to. You can also see where you need to keep the tow vehicle centered in a lane, to keep the trailer centered. Most times the trailer is going to be wider than the tow vehicle (TV), so you don't want to let the TV get too close to the side of a lane, because the trailer will be OVER the side of the lane

Just take it slow and easy. If you run over a marked line in the parking lot, it won't hurt a thing.

It won't take long, and you should have a good feel for it. It just takes some experience.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
PopBeavers

If you can not see behind the TM, maybe your mirrors are not legal.

Go to a large empty shopping center with the TM in tow. Park with the TV and TM in a straight line.

Now pace off about 100 feet or so behind the TM. You should be able to see both mirrors on the TV. If not, then your mirrors do not stick out far enough. Fix that.

As long as the sports car behind me is following at a safe distance (not tailgating) then I have no trouble seeing him.

If you find that you become surprise because someone passes you unexpectedly, then you are not looking in your mirrors often enough. My wife is sometimes surprised when a sports car blows past her. I am never surprised. I check my mirrors probably about once a minute. My wife checks them only when turning or changing lanes.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
scoobysue

Wow... you guys are great!!! The parking lot and practicing idea is perfect.. I could definitely do that! What kind of mirrors are you using? The kind that strap onto the mirrors and make the view wider?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yup, several posts have hit it. Mirrors! GOOD mirrors! You didn't say what kind of tow vehicle you have (you might add that, along with your TM model, to your signature), but I don't think I have encountered a standard tow vehicle whose mirrors were adequate. You need aux mirrors.

There has been a lot of discussion about mirrors, and you can use the Search tool to find it. For myself, I won't settle for less than McKesh mirrors (or the knockoffs) because they provide a wide, stable view. As you will find, others prefer other mirrors.

As for how to judge the adequacy of a set of mirrors, I think this is a pretty good start.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658
It pretty well echos PopBeavers' thoughts about the 100-feet-back rule.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Yup, several posts have hit it. Mirrors! GOOD mirrors! You didn't say what kind of tow vehicle you have (you might add that, along with your TM model, to your signature), but I don't think I have encountered a standard tow vehicle whose mirrors were adequate. You need aux mirrors.

There has been a lot of discussion about mirrors, and you can use the Search tool to find it. For myself, I won't settle for less than McKesh mirrors (or the knockoffs) because they provide a wide, stable view. As you will find, others prefer other mirrors.

As for how to judge the adequacy of a set of mirrors, I think this is a pretty good start.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658
It pretty well echos PopBeavers' thoughts about the 100-feet-back rule.

Bill
My Chevy truck has the small factory mirrors. As you said, those are inadequate. I sue the McKesh.

My GMC truck has the newer factory tow mirrors, the tall ones. I like them better than the McKesh because:

1. They are taller than they are wide. I am more comfortable with that. This may be a personal preference.
2. They are electrically adjustable, so when we switch drivers I do not need to use wrenches to adjust the mirrors like I do with the McKesh.
3. They are heated, for foggy mornings.
4. They have turn signals in them, so the driver next to me might have a clue about what is happening.
5. They extend in or out, and fold kinda flat, so I do not need to take them off and store them in camp.

My McKesh stick out a bit further than the GMC mirrors. In fact, they may be illegally out by about an inch or so.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysue View Post
Any suggestions on helping me ease into driving with the tm?
You used the right words - ease into it. I've dealt a bit with phobias (not implying you are phobic!) and the solution is to move toward the feared event in small steps. If you are comfortable with straight interstates, maybe the next step is straight two lane roads. Let your boyfriend take the rest. As you gain comfort, move to the next step. Take your time. You are better at this than you think. You just need to prove that to yourself - a step at a time.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I think you just kind of have to go for it. That's what I've done. Mirrors are very important...I'm a lot shorter than DH and he can see over the top of the TM as we tow, and I can mostly only see big trucks in the center rear view mirror, but the side mirrors are crucial to lane changing. And you have to make sure they're adjusted well. I'd love to buy some of the after-market Chevy mirrors that extend in and out, but they are pricey. I'm always looking in the rear-view mirrors when I drive anyways, but with towing, it's even more important to know where people are around you in case you have to make a sudden move. It's best to try to place yourself in traffic where you don't need to make a sudden move, but it's not always possible. The worst place for us to tow so far: Southern CA around L.A.! We both hate it. White knuckles all the way.

It would help to take a long drive around an empty area in town first, slowly, and take a lot of turns (while looking in the rear-view mirrors) to see what the TM does, and how it clears the turns at different angles and turn starting points. If you're really unsure about towing a parking lot with cones would be a good place to start.

Gas stations are my nemesis. You really have to pick and choose them and when you're in an unfamiliar city, and need gas, it can really be a challenge to get in and out of one.

I love to drive the TM and have become very good with it going forward, and am getting better at backing it up. It only takes me one try now when we get home to get it back up onto the blocks in the driveway with DH spotting. It just takes practice. You've just got to start doing it. If you boyfriend is willing to help you and let you drive, and you aren't in a hurry or tired, just start taking the wheel more and more. It just gets better.

You can do it!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I was absolutely fearless driving our 34 foot Bounder (with a jeep behind it which got us to 50') but the TM is a horse of a different color. However, it will go where it is towed and I am very comfortable moving forward. I worked non-traditional my entire career but have now decided it is ok to just not want to do some things. Backing the TM is one of those things. So, for example, I may drive with the TM for hours and hours and then pull up in front of the house, get out, and tell my DH (who has TONS of experience backing trailers) to have fun! He gave me great advice when I first started driving the Bounder. You need to pay attention further down the road than you are used to. As previously stated, you'll need to watch your mirrors and be prepared to slow down, change lanes, etc. Jump on in, the water is fine, even in the shallow end

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote