TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
tport40

Default Bugs?

I've just joined this forum as we are considering buying a TM. A recent thread asked about getting rid of bugs because of gaps and another member mentioned they stuffed a towel in the gaps. Why are there gaps? Are bugs always in the TM?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
camp2canoe

Default Bugs

The design of the TM does necessitate a gap when the unit is folded and that gap is what allows us to have curtains. When errected there are vinyl flaps that cover the gaps and some advocate adding some insulation on top of the flaps when cold weather camping but we haven't found this to be necessary. Having used a variety of RVs over the years, I assure you that no RV is absolutely sealed against bugs - I can remember cleaning a mouse nest out of the oven of a very deluxe Class C in the spring. Leon is 100% on point when he says that any bugs you find in a TM are likely to have come through an open door. I think you will find this to be a non issue. - Camp2Canoe
Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
meriflower

Though not related to bugs, about the gap that is needed when the unit is folded, does dirt and debree get lodged in the gap when towing down the road, be it paved or dirt? How about when towing in rain, does the tops inner walls get wet and dirty?

I'm also a new member here and seriously looking at TM.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Magdefrau

After one complete year.....No problems with bugs, though one day it's possible a odd bug/spider/wasp could crawl in. Ants, the little black guys, can get in. But, not any more than a brick $200K home. The gaps, holes or cracks are 1/16th of an inch, very small. Cold air sometimes will be notices alittle during the winter camp outs. But the bugs do not swam in on a summer night. It's not a worry.

Buying a TM is a good thing. Lite wieght, roomy, functional and more that a tent pop-up. Thinking big, If I could I would get a bus camper. However, If all you all looking for is a trailer camper the Trail Manor is the one to get.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
PopBeavers

We had ants once. RAID solved that problem.

We had small flying gnats in large quantities once, due to having the door open.

In 15 trips we have never had a major problem with bugs. Certainly no worse than at home.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
SireMike

Went to a military FAM RV camp a couple of weeks ago. The spot was concrete surrounded by grass. A previous rain storm had stirred up the gnats.

I mean thousands of gnats landing and hanging out on the exterior of the TM. I had replaced a couple of interior lights with amber bulbs but it did not really help. They were thick inside the TM around the front slide and rear bed for a couple of days. I only run one light above the front couch at night and the bugs were hanging around the light.

Another camper with a normal TT had quite a few inside their TT also. I do not think there is much anyone can do when your TM is inside a swarm of gnats.

The last couple of days were great as mostly the gnats were gone. The price you pay when you camp in Florida.

I did figure out my portable vacuum cleaner worked great for getting rid of the gnats hanging out on inside the TM.

Mike
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

The AC on light frost will take care of them too. We had similar situation last month in South Georgia.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We live in South Florida and never had a bug issue inside the TM (lots outside). A few fliers always get in when you open the door but they always flock to the lights and few swats later it's all clear. The gaps have never been an issue for us and we don't take any preventive measures.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
drehak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SireMike View Post
Went to a military FAM RV camp a couple of weeks ago. The spot was concrete surrounded by grass. A previous rain storm had stirred up the gnats.

I mean thousands of gnats landing and hanging out on the exterior of the TM. I had replaced a couple of interior lights with amber bulbs but it did not really help. They were thick inside the TM around the front slide and rear bed for a couple of days. I only run one light above the front couch at night and the bugs were hanging around the light.

Another camper with a normal TT had quite a few inside their TT also. I do not think there is much anyone can do when your TM is inside a swarm of gnats.

The last couple of days were great as mostly the gnats were gone. The price you pay when you camp in Florida.

I did figure out my portable vacuum cleaner worked great for getting rid of the gnats hanging out on inside the TM.

Mike
I am very concerned about Florida camping and mosquitoes. Do you have mosquito problems during summer camping trips in you Trailmanor?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Doug W.

The only problem I have with bugs is when the inside lights are on and I am doing something and forget to closed the dooor, but that is a problem in any trailer or house. We occationally have a few bugs when I do not make that mistake, but I still think the majority are from coming in and going out of the trailer.