TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
vincoTM

Default Prospective Owner? Not any more!

Hello folks! I have been lurking on the TM forum for a few days now, so I thought it would be a good time for me to make an introductory post. This spring, I traded a rifle for a not-too-bad 1988 Coleman Sequoia popup. My wife was instantly on board with the idea of camping, but she and I both got very rapidly frustrated with the Coleman because it turned out not to have a title with it. Plus we did get it cranked up, but it's a little sketchy in the lift cable mechanism. And then we started thinking about tent camping in a box, in the rain - or worse yet, what if it hails??? That just sounds like a lot of not as much fun as initially dreamed. I do absolutely have to give it props, though: that old popup has two king-size beds in it rated at a thousand pounds apiece capacity!

So then we thought about selling it and buying a travel trailer. We shopped and looked and poked and prodded, but I just never could warm up to the idea of 12 years of payments at a hundred fifty a month, or the weight of the darn trailers! We even went to look at other popups thinking they might be nicer than our Coleman, but they just weren't.

Trolling around on Craigslist one day I saw an ad for an older (1997) Trailmanor 2619 that was local to me and within the price range of buying for cash. I put my Google-fu into overdrive and quickly learned about the neatest looking popup I'd ever seen: the Trailmanor! I went and saw it one day on the way home from work, and while likely very functional still, it did have some cosmetic and functional issues that I didn't really want to deal with or spend my money on. But it sparked an ember in my mind!

Fast forward a month, and the wife and I had pretty much decided to hang up the idea of buying a camper at all, but I was still working on getting a valid title for the Coleman. The state Revenue Office told me as part of getting a bonded title I had to go to 2 different trailer dealers and get written estimates of value of the Coleman, in order for them to determine the required value of the bond I have to buy. The first one was easy. The second one was not so much. Driving through town one Saturday late afternoon 3 weeks ago I stopped in at a brand new high-end boat and RV dealership to see if I could get somebody there to give me an estimate on the Coleman.

Lo and behold, what did they have sitting at the back of their lot but a folded down Trailmanor! Of course the salesman nearly knocked me down as I was getting out of my car, trying to "see if he could show me anything". I said just for the heck of it, "what year is that Trailmanor and what are you asking for it?" He scampered inside to find out while I looked at it and figured out it was a 2009 model 3023. He didn't know a darn thing about it, but he told me their asking price and then offered me $1500 trade-in for the Coleman sight-unseen! I said thanks and went on home. I mentioned it to the wife, and she liked the idea of trading off the Coleman, but we were still in "not going to buy a camper mode." So we went about our business for a couple more weeks until I mentioned one afternoon that I was still thinking about that Trailmanor. She said she didn't like the idea of a 10-year-old trailer and suggested that instead we go seriously looking at travel trailers again at some dealerships. So we did, and she even went on her own for a couple of days. At the end of the evening I said let's run by and see if that Trailmanor is still there and if it's set up. The dealership was closed, but the Trailmanor was still there, set up, and the door was unlocked! She stepped inside and was quick to say how much room it had compared to most of the small 16 and 17-foot travel trailers we had been looking at all night. We decided to come back and look at it during the daytime, but it took 2 weeks more to get to it with our schedules. Meanwhile, the wife actually took time to watch some Youtube videos and got herself excited about the Trailmanor concept.

Finally today was the day. I was able to get off work early and picked up my wife and our Suburban from home, and we drove to the dealership. We spent about 2 hours poking and prodding around the trailer, testing things, and we even put it down ourselves. We decided to offer them $2000 less than their asking price with no trade-in, and they accepted our offer with no further haggling! We went inside and did the paperwork, and then we went back out, hooked it up to the Suburban, and dragged it home today! So now we've instantly gone from never having camped before to owning the coolest camper ever built! And we still have the little Coleman to sell!
vincoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What a great story! Welcome to the band of TM owners. And 2009 is in no way a bad year or a "too old" TM. You're going to love it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Welcome to the tm group. Happy camping.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the cool world and forum of Trailmanor. If I might suggest join the forum. I was leery to buy in, but have come to realize its been well worth the cost.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Welcome abord!

(I thought you had given up on TM when I read your title... I'm so happy for you!)

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
FlyboyTR

Vinco,
Welcome to the amazing...and strange...world of the Transformer camper, the Trailmanor. Also...glad to have you with us!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
vincoTM

Thank you for the welcome! We're both very excited!

One of our motivators is that we have decided to road-trip to the Grand Canyon from our home in Arkansas for our vacation this summer. It's coming up in 2 weeks actually! We've never camped before, so this will be a complete novel adventure for us both, in every sense! I am trying to compile our list of stuff to really be worried about on the trailer before we head out. I'm thinking we really need to make sure the tires and bearings are up to snuff, and we will also take our 2008 Suburban TV to have a brake controller put on it. We spent Saturday on a shopping spree buying stuff to outfit the camper (coffee pot, dishes, pots and pans, indoor/outdoor carpet, etc.)

So one question I have that I haven't yet found a straight answer by searching: the shower curtain is completely MIA, but the hangers are still there. Do I have to buy a special curtain to hang on the factory hangers, or will any curtain work? I don't think I have time to do any mods yet - just want to bring it back to factory-ish configuration for now.
vincoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I am not sure you will be able find suitable shower curtains between now and your scheduled departure on your first camping trip.

One option is to order replacement curtains from the factory.

Here is the link to their parts catalogue: http://www.trailmanor.com/storage/ap...atalog2018.pdf scroll down to part # 11009 (6x6) white nylon shower curtain. The factory might be able to get it to you in time.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Default Made my own rod and curtain

I removed my curtain and now use pvc tubing as a shower rod. I had a friend shorten and sew the bottom of a regular shower curtain to use in its place.
I measured the width and cut to pvc to length, drilled holes to use the smallest cable from the hardware store. Swedged the cable into a loop and hook it onto the small command hooks. I can pop it off when I stow the camper. It works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D792223C-5356-496D-A27D-BA1AC880E039.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	18316   Click image for larger version

Name:	205FF807-A1FB-4CF8-A849-9AD5744969CC.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	575.3 KB
ID:	18317  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
ceickhoff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincoTM View Post
Hello folks! I have been lurking on the TM forum for a few days now, so I thought it would be a good time for me to make an introductory post. This spring, I traded a rifle for a not-too-bad 1988 Coleman Sequoia popup. My wife was instantly on board with the idea of camping, but she and I both got very rapidly frustrated with the Coleman because it turned out not to have a title with it. Plus we did get it cranked up, but it's a little sketchy in the lift cable mechanism. And then we started thinking about tent camping in a box, in the rain - or worse yet, what if it hails??? That just sounds like a lot of not as much fun as initially dreamed. I do absolutely have to give it props, though: that old popup has two king-size beds in it rated at a thousand pounds apiece capacity!

So then we thought about selling it and buying a travel trailer. We shopped and looked and poked and prodded, but I just never could warm up to the idea of 12 years of payments at a hundred fifty a month, or the weight of the darn trailers! We even went to look at other popups thinking they might be nicer than our Coleman, but they just weren't.

Trolling around on Craigslist one day I saw an ad for an older (1997) Trailmanor 2619 that was local to me and within the price range of buying for cash. I put my Google-fu into overdrive and quickly learned about the neatest looking popup I'd ever seen: the Trailmanor! I went and saw it one day on the way home from work, and while likely very functional still, it did have some cosmetic and functional issues that I didn't really want to deal with or spend my money on. But it sparked an ember in my mind!

Fast forward a month, and the wife and I had pretty much decided to hang up the idea of buying a camper at all, but I was still working on getting a valid title for the Coleman. The state Revenue Office told me as part of getting a bonded title I had to go to 2 different trailer dealers and get written estimates of value of the Coleman, in order for them to determine the required value of the bond I have to buy. The first one was easy. The second one was not so much. Driving through town one Saturday late afternoon 3 weeks ago I stopped in at a brand new high-end boat and RV dealership to see if I could get somebody there to give me an estimate on the Coleman.

Lo and behold, what did they have sitting at the back of their lot but a folded down Trailmanor! Of course the salesman nearly knocked me down as I was getting out of my car, trying to "see if he could show me anything". I said just for the heck of it, "what year is that Trailmanor and what are you asking for it?" He scampered inside to find out while I looked at it and figured out it was a 2009 model 3023. He didn't know a darn thing about it, but he told me their asking price and then offered me $1500 trade-in for the Coleman sight-unseen! I said thanks and went on home. I mentioned it to the wife, and she liked the idea of trading off the Coleman, but we were still in "not going to buy a camper mode." So we went about our business for a couple more weeks until I mentioned one afternoon that I was still thinking about that Trailmanor. She said she didn't like the idea of a 10-year-old trailer and suggested that instead we go seriously looking at travel trailers again at some dealerships. So we did, and she even went on her own for a couple of days. At the end of the evening I said let's run by and see if that Trailmanor is still there and if it's set up. The dealership was closed, but the Trailmanor was still there, set up, and the door was unlocked! She stepped inside and was quick to say how much room it had compared to most of the small 16 and 17-foot travel trailers we had been looking at all night. We decided to come back and look at it during the daytime, but it took 2 weeks more to get to it with our schedules. Meanwhile, the wife actually took time to watch some Youtube videos and got herself excited about the Trailmanor concept.

Finally today was the day. I was able to get off work early and picked up my wife and our Suburban from home, and we drove to the dealership. We spent about 2 hours poking and prodding around the trailer, testing things, and we even put it down ourselves. We decided to offer them $2000 less than their asking price with no trade-in, and they accepted our offer with no further haggling! We went inside and did the paperwork, and then we went back out, hooked it up to the Suburban, and dragged it home today! So now we've instantly gone from never having camped before to owning the coolest camper ever built! And we still have the little Coleman to sell!
ceickhoff is offline   Reply With Quote