TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
swamperk

Default trouble with rain

has anyone had any trouble with rain coming in around the vents? i put flex seal tape around the bottom of three vents,not leaking there,then i tried around the seams, all seams,,,i ever covered the air condition with a tarp when its raining,and it still gets between the top and ceiling running to the front of the camper,,,i have no idea where its coming from???,,,i even tried to run a water hose up there,,not a drip,,,but when it rains its coming in leaking from the vents,,,anyone had this problem?
swamperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There have been some strange leak problems reported around the vents. I have not experienced them, but others have. So in the meantime - - - -

You sealed the entire length of the center roof seam? I've had a leak there.

Have you tried around the base of the TV antennas, especially if you have the crank-up model? I've had a leak there.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 AM   #3
swamperk

Default rain water

yes i have the seams and everything up there covered,,,still the rain water comes from the back going towards the front,,,very strange
Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Trailmanor George

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the a/c base gasket which I replaced. Sometimes you can tighten the 4 bolts that hold the a/c unit to the base gasket from the inside they might be loose. I would try that first...
Old 03-12-2020, 04:07 AM   #5
swamperk

Default leaking from rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmanor George View Post
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the a/c base gasket which I replaced. Sometimes you can tighten the 4 bolts that hold the a/c unit to the base gasket from the inside they might be loose. I would try that first...
even though i put tarp over the air condition when its raining i still have a leak,,,but i will try this tomorrow,,thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
swamperk

Default rain water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmanor George View Post
i just check,,,everything is tight,,,o well let it rain
Old 06-06-2020, 12:43 PM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I just came across this. A lot of guys seem to think applying sealant on top of screws or on the edges of vent seams is good enough. I've had so many leaks when sealing is done this way. If you want a leak proof solution, you have to cut out the old sealant, lift up the vent, clean out the old sealant, and apply new sealant. For screws, remove them, inject fresh sealant into each screw hole, then reinsert the screw. Use something like Proflex, not silicone. Proflex remains soft and doesn't need to be removed completely like silicone does.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote