TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Stopping is harder than towing up hills.

It has been my experience that stopping a 4000 pound TrailManor, with trailer brakes, is much more a strain on the vehicle than towing. That is why I have a Tundra. I previously towed a large boat with a full sized car. No problem towing, but stopping was a different story.
Good Luck stopping when your at the limit.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
RogerR

We tow with a Jeep Liberty with the 2.8 liter diesel. No problems in about 12,000 miles. My son borrowed the trailer and pulled with his grand Cherokee with the 4 liter 6 and had no problems. If a minivan can pull it then the much more robust Grand Caravan should be able to do it.
I do agree that the the electric brakes must be in perfect working order. This includes setting the brake controller to the proper setting. I would also recommend the weight distribution hitch for anything that tows it.
To protect your transmission make sure you take it out of overdrive in hilly areas if the trans starts downshifting. This reduces the heat which destroys the trans. Be sure to change the trans fluid on the heavy use schedule instead of the regular cycle.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
rumbleweed

I have an identical jeep grand Cherokee with a factory towing package. I use it to occasionally move my 2720 around in the driveway as it is shorter than my Silverado 2500. I certainly would not want to take it out on the road even for a short distance.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
irenepl

I too started out with a 4.0L grand cherokee. Had no trouble except withthe hills. Did not like the fact that the semi's were pushing me up hill. I traded up to the Grand cherokee with the 4.7HO. Now highway speeds and hills are no problems. I pushed the safty issues with DW. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #15
irenepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoscubadiver View Post
Hi folks, just joined the forum as I am REALLY interested in buying a 2620 SD. However, I have been doing some quick math and I am a little concerned the 5000 lb tow rating on my 2000 GC 4.0L I-6 4WD isn't all that it appears on the surface.

The Vehicles GCWR is 7550. Impressive enough. However when you subtract the base curb wt. of 3970, that only leaves 3580 to play with. It appears the 2620 SD has a dry wt. of 2865 and a load of 1210. That comes up to 4075, or potentially 105 lb violation of the Jeep GCWR.

That seemed surprising to me, in light of all the hype Trailmanor makes on how most cars can pull these.

Am I calculating this correctly? If so, I guessmy options would be to carefully limit my load. However that raises another question and that is whether the Jeep's base curb wt. is dry or if I need to factor gas, people and gear as part of that load allowance.

Love my Jeep and hope there is a solution here...

I have a Grand cherokee with the 4.7HO V8. I was towing our tent trailers but when I moved up to the trailmanor I was not as comfortable with the TV. It was rated OK but I did not like the semi's pushing me up the hills. That when I went looking for the 4.7HO. I get between 13. and 16.5 when towing depending on the headwinds and mountains. Very comfortable towing with the V8 with extra power to spare. Good luck
Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Just keep in mind............"Towing" is not all about pulling (you can "pull" a TM with a garden tractor). Towing is more about controlling and STOPPING.

I have no problem with going up a hill slowly. I have a problem with getting myself and my family down the other side alive......