TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
101kreasons

Question satellite dish

Does anyone have the factory installed satellite dish/tv combo? Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Sattelite dish

Just a thought, but I'm already not wild about what I'm paying for TV service at home, so I'll be darned if I'll do it in the RV. I guess I might feel differently if I was in the RV for more nights annually than I am at home, or if I wasn't so easily amused by a few movies that can be played on the portable computer.

One thing I highly recommend is to try the antenna and a digital TV. We live over 35 miles from the nearest TV station, and the old VHF TV reception is awful. But our less-than-$300 17" digital TV from the kitchen counter gets over 20 crystal-clear HDTV stations in the TrailManor on the driveway with only the standard antenna.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One thing to consider. A satellite TV dish requires a clear view of the sky to the south of you. No trees, etc. If your chosen campground doesn't have a site with this view, what is your next step?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
viking

I bought my TM used. I have the combo over-the air-antenna/satellite mounted on the top of my TM and I use Direct TV as my provider. The satellite dish on the TM works well when you have a view of the southwest sky. Unfortunately most of the places I camp have a lot of trees so I can only use the dish on top of the TM half of the time. To get satellite access when I can't use the dish on top of the camper I bring along a tripod mounted satellite dish. Also the antenna/satellite combo uses an Omni-directional antenna and from what I can tell from camping beside people with the bat-wing antenna is that the bat-wing antenna does a better job of pulling in stations. I would like to hear from other owners what your experience is on the two types of over the air antennas.

My two-cents is that if you are getting a new TM is to get the standard batwing antenna and buy a tripod mounted dish. I keep the dish and the tripod in my rear storage compartment on my 3326 with plenty of room to spare for other stuff. I have 100 foot of antenna cord and I have never failed to get a signal when camping. Also I take my television and satellite receiver from home so I don't have to have duplicate equipment.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
othermum

DH can sit in the beautiful outdoors for hours, but I love our Dish Network Satellite TV and my 15.4" Macbook Pro (2007).
We have Verizon cell phone service. Can anyone tell me (in a simple, numerical order) if and how to use the phone for internet and the computer for TV? Or, am I just dreaming? Maybe I can do without both. Nah, No way. Help!
A panicked newbie.
Getting our "new to us" 2002 2720SL next week
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Buck Mills

For the TV on the Mac look at EyeTV Hybrid. I bought one but everywhere I've been with it so far is too far away from a stations (I'm currently using only the pop up antenna)
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
101kreasons

Thanks for all the help. In the end we ordered the dish installed during factory production. Storage was the issue. Our order got botched by the dealer so it wasn't installed at the factory. The dealer tried to make it right and had it installed it locally. Big mistake. Wiring got all tangled during the TM set-up process and tore up the roof seal, the elevation sensor got wired to the vent light and the dish was installed off center. We took our TM to the factory and they made it right. It works fine, even the on-air part when trees block the view.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
ERNIE863

Default Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by othermum View Post
dh Can Sit In The Beautiful Outdoors For Hours, But I Love Our Dish Network Satellite Tv And My 15.4" Macbook Pro (2007).
We Have Verizon Cell Phone Service. Can Anyone Tell Me (in A Simple, Numerical Order) If And How To Use The Phone For Internet And The Computer For Tv? Or, Am I Just Dreaming? Maybe I Can Do Without Both. Nah, No Way. Help!
A Panicked Newbie.
Getting Our "new To Us" 2002 2720sl Next Week
Go On Line And Look At Magigjack.com. That Will Solve Your Phone Problems At Home And Camping. You Must However Have Access To The Iinternet To Use It.