TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
markandanne

Default Tow mirrors for 2003 or newer Ford Expedition?

Does anyone have a 2003 or newer Ford Expedition as a TV, and if so what tow mirrors are you using? We would pay the money for the OEM replacement mirrors if they existed, but I can't find anything that is made for the newer body style.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Towing mirrors

I've used different things over the years, but what I like best for the TM are those silly clamp-ons. Yes, they wiggle in the wind and some people have had trouble with them blowing off, but they are light, they stow very easily, and at $10 apiece they are expendable.

My TV is narrower than yours, but I find that I can almost see on the driver side without one, so you might be ok with just one mirror on the right (my standard is being able to see down the side of the trailer in the mirror).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have an '03 and get by with the factory mirrors. I have some strapons I used with the prior TV (a Yukon) but the Exp mirrors are enough wider that I didn't feel the need to hassle with them.

That said, I too would like to know if there is a good answer, because more is better when we're talking range of vision.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
shunter917
Site Sponsor

I haven't ever been able to find replacement mirrors for my 2003. This is what I got instead:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...21154&src=SRQB

(hope the link works - first time I've ever tried to put one in).

These work really well. Just make sure they're tightened down really snug. But they're easy to put on and take off.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
Bob&Karen

We have an '04, and I have no real trouble just using the factory mirrors. I just adjust them so I can see. I also have looked for the "slide-on" type that I've seen for other vehicles but can't find any for our model year.

Bob
Old 04-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't know, Bob. The specs say that the width of the Expedition, from the outside edge of one mirror to the outside edge of the other, is only 91.8 inches. That's kinda narrow. Can you actually see down each side of the TM? For example, can you see if the door has come unlatched (something that has happened to a number of us)? Can you see the tires on each side, so you will know if you have had a blowout? The TM is so well behaved with a flat that you may not even realize you have a problem unless you can see it at a glance in the mirror. (Been there, done that.) Can you see if all the running lights are working? Can you see someone standing 100-200 feet behind your trailer, as is required in some states?

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have a Toyota Sequoia, which I believe is nearly identical in width to the Expedition, and when I put my McKesh mirrors on when I tow, it's like a whole new world compared to what I can see in the factory mirrors. If you've never looked in a mirror that was more off the door than the factory mirror, I can certainly see how you could think you're seeing what you need to see. But towing mirrors enable you to see all around the trailer just as your factory mirrors enable you to see all around your car when you're not towing. The mirrors are another thing to worry about, an added expense, and look not-so-pretty, but these drawbacks pale in comparison to the fact that they may save someone's life. Spend a few bucks just to try it out for one trip. If you decide you don't need them, take 'em back.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

You know, I've never even tried the strapons with the Exp. I should put them on just to see how big the improvement is.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
markandanne

Thanks everyone for all of the inputs. We drove the trailer home and to our first campout about 10 miles from home without towing mirrors, but I think for the 2.5 week trip we have planned in June we'll either get the CIPA universal clip-on's or the Tow-n-See suction cup mirrors and give them a try.

Somewhere (I don't remember if it was here or on RV.net) there was a fellow who had one of each so that he could take advantage of adjusting the passenger side mirror using his OEM mirror adjustments using the Tow-n-See, but he had the advantage of being able to see normally on the driver's side with both mirrors (the presumption being that the Tow-n-See requires the OEM mirror to be mis-adjusted because it's mirror cannot be in a plane parallel to the OEM mirror, although people have talked about trying to bend the arm to fix that also).

The McKesh looks like the best answer if it doesn't sand-paper your door finish, which is why I want to try something else first. Too bad none of the OEM replacement mirrors appear to exist for the newer Expedition mirrors (like the TTT mirror, or the other CIPA mirrors).

Mark
Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The McKesh mirrors (which appear to be sold by Camping World as Eagle Vision) do not sandpaper your car's paint as long as you keep the pads reasonably clean.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote