TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
bjmjr1

Question TV WDH Question 2720SL

I just picked up my 2006 TM 2720SL. I want to get a WDH, but am unsure on the size, type, or capacity for my TV. I have a 2008 Explorer, V6 4X4 with the factory tow package III/IV. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmjr1 View Post
I just picked up my 2006 TM 2720SL. I want to get a WDH, but am unsure on the size, type, or capacity for my TV. I have a 2008 Explorer, V6 4X4 with the factory tow package III/IV. Thanks in advance for any help.

bjmjr1, welcome to the forum.

There is a parallel discussion going on now on the forum about WDHs....check out: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6938

Probably any dual bar WDH system with the correct rating (leaning towards the heavier side, as the other thread suggests) for your trailer should work OK. It is probably no necessary to spend the extra bucks for a sway control, as most TM owners don't experience any sway.

I use a Reese WDH with mine. Easy to hook-up, and I don't have to lift the tongue of my TM using my current settings......just the included pry bar.

Chap
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmjr1 View Post
See my post at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...6620#post26620. Since I posted that information shortly after we got our TrailManor, we have done trips from Florida to Pennsylvania. Our tow vehicle setup has worked fine for us, and I can still recommend it to others in the same situation.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, Benny, and welcome aboard -

We had a long thread on this topic a couple years ago. I can't find it at the moment, but as I recall, the conclusions were the following.
1. A 500-pound set is too light. Rocky Mountain Ray, our towing expert, had some bad experiences with his 500-pound set, and moved up.
2. A 600-pound set is OK, but on the light side.
3. A 1000-pound set is OK, but getting toward the heavy side.
4. Anywhere between 600 and 1000 pounds is great, and 750-800 is a nice middle ground.

By the way, I have a 1200-pound set, simply because that is what the dealer had in stock when I bought my first TM in a panic situation. There is no doubt that it is heavier than needed. On the other hand, I've adjusted it carefully according to the Reese instructions, and it has been fine.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

It's a shame we don't have more information on actual TM tongue weights of the various models when they are loaded for the road. I weighed our 2619s tongue using the bathroom scale method (described elsewhere here) when empty and sitting in our garage with two full bottles and a battery and it weighed 309lbs. I thought something must have been wrong with my scale so I went next door and borrowed the neighbors an his said the same thing. Adding the WDH probably puts it up around 400lbs. I did not unhook and weigh the tongue the one time I weighed the TV/TM however while on a trip. I wish I had but my suspicion is that the tongue was still around 400 because we don't haul water in the fresh water tank and probably carry as much stuff behind the TM axle as in front. We don't have air but looking at the pictures it appears the air conditioners are actually slightly behind the axle on some models when they are closed so the tonges may not get heavier with more accessories. Slide models are likely significantly heavier in front but some people add a second battery in the back battery compartment so it's hard to know unless a few people weigh them.

Anyone have any actual loaded weight numbers to share?
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo View Post
Anyone have any actual loaded weight numbers to share?
The only actual weight I ever recorded is the TM axle weight of 3380 pounds for my TM 2720. I also have the TV front and rear axles published around here in summer 2005.

I did not disconnect to weigh the loaded TV or TM tongue weight.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
mtnguy

The tongue weight on my 2720 weighed in at 415 lbs. That was lightly loaded for camping, but no food stuff and personal gear. The LP tanks were 3/4 full each. No water in the tanks. The WDH weighs 65 lbs, so that brings the total up to 480 lbs. hanging behind the bumper. Since I did that weigh-in at the local quarry, I have added another battery and box to the tongue. Add 20 gals. of water, and I betcha I am pushing 550 lbs. of actual tongue weight, plus the 65 lbs. for the WDH.

I wouldn't want that to fall on my toes if my jack broke.

Chap
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The tongue weight on my 2720 weighed in at 415 lbs. That was lightly loaded for camping, but no food stuff and personal gear. The LP tanks were 3/4 full each. No water in the tanks. The WDH weighs 65 lbs, so that brings the total up to 480 lbs. hanging behind the bumper. Since I did that weigh-in at the local quarry, I have added another battery and box to the tongue. Add 20 gals. of water, and I betcha I am pushing 550 lbs. of actual tongue weight, plus the 65 lbs. for the WDH.

I wouldn't want that to fall on my toes if my jack broke.

Chap

Also add the weight of whatever you have loaded into your tow vehicle behind the rear axle. This weight plus the weight of the hitch and the measured tongue weight is what you should be compensating for.

Mike
</IMG>

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
mtnguy

Mike, I do like Wayne (PopBeavers) does when loading my truck. Wayne loads all of his heavy stuff towards the front of his bed, and also some heavy stuff behind his seat. This helps him put more weight towards the front axle, negating his need for a WDH....plus he has a heavy duty 1/2 ton truck. Even though I use a WDH, I still load all of my heavy stuff (firewood, extra water, scuba gear, tool boxes, etc.) as far forward as I can, to help bring the front of the truck down where it should be. Yes there might be some stuff behind the axle, but I at least keep the weight to a minimum in that area.

Hope I didn't speak out of turn, Wayne.

Chap
Old 03-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
jcjim4

please explain the bathroom scale method of weighing the tongue. I can't find it!