TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
jkcoyote

Default campgrounds

A friend told me that some campgrounds won't allow a pop up trailer in. Has anybody had that experience? We are looking to buy our first travel trailer and decided that the Trail Manor would be a good choice for us. Any help would be appreciated. How much does it increase your gas mileage if at all?

Jkcoyote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Scott O

I can only wish that the TM increased our gas mileage! It actually goes from about 21 mpg to 16+ mpg on a Tacoma Tacoma. Mileage really depends on terrain, wind, and driving speed. But that is balanced by other savings with the trailer as well as the ability to stay places you couldn't stay at otherwise. (Unless you like to sleep on the ground!)

I have also read about some campgrounds not allowing popups. But have not experienced it. I would tend to think they are referring to tent trailer popups, not the hard-wall style such as TM. Don't really know why popups would be banned anyhow, except maybe because of bears (Yellowstone) or just maybe a snobbish attitute. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have also run into campgrounds which require full hook-up units only, which really doesn't make much sense and doesen't affect me anyhow in the TM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
PopBeavers

Some RV resorts appear to cater to the million dollar motorhomes.

Some RV parks will not allow any RV older than 10 years old, although this does not seem to be well enforced.

Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone will not allow fabric walled trailers.

www.rv.net is another good place for forums on general rving topics. These topics appear often over there.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoyote View Post
We are looking to buy our first travel trailer and decided that the Trail Manor would be a good choice for us. How much does it increase your gas mileage if at all?

Jkcoyote
I presume that you mean increased fuel mileage over conventional TTs, which the TMs surely do. Depending on the type of TV you have, terrain, stop & go traffic, you can figure an decrease of ~ 4 to 6 mpg over that same criteria without the TM. You are still pulling an extra 3500 lbs. or so up hills, and away from dead stops, but you don't have all of that wind drag that coventional TTs have.

Chap
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default TrailManor advantages

Quote:
A friend told me that some campgrounds won't allow a pop up trailer in. Has anybody had that experience? We are looking to buy our first travel trailer and decided that the Trail Manor would be a good choice for us. Any help would be appreciated. How much does it increase your gas mileage if at all?

Jkcoyote
I've owned 3 popups, a full sized trailer, a motorhome, and a TrailManor. The motorhome was the most expensive and the nicest, in all ways. But 7mpg is pretty impractical these days for those 10000 mile trips you'd like to dream about. The full sized travel trailer was a nightmare on the road even with a truck to tow it, but the good news is that everything else is easier once you've done that for awhile.

The TrailManor has limited space in the bathroom, by comparison, but it still meets DW specs, which no popup ever did. It's a great compromise for an RV that lets you vacation economically using a tow vehicle you can reasonably enjoy every day. We found that the tow vehicle truck was a hassle going to work every day, and having that unnecessary motorhome engine/power train depreciating while it's stored somewhere was expensive even when you weren't feeding it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Quote:

Jkcoyote
I know of two campgrounds that restrict campers to "hard-sided" RVs - Tiger Run in Breckenridge and one in Yellowstone. I've been to neither, but one of the long term reasons we wanted a TM was so we could go to Yellowstone and not have to camp with the tents. We would have been very limited in our canvas sided popup. I'm sure there are many more campgrounds that have restrictions, but IMHO it is not a limitation against "pop-ups" but against soft sided RVs. That said, we will always say we have a TT and not a popup. Many places don't understand the popup concept with a hardsided trailer! When the campground asks for length, we'll say 31 feet because that is what it takes to set up a 3124.
I don't have enough experience with my TM yet to have fuel mileage numbers, but I'm guessing that my 16-17 mpg Durango will be in the 12-13 mpg range with the TM. We'll see.
Alan
Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default TrailManor is Travel Trailer, NOT a Popup

Read the tag beside the door. Also, Virginia DMV registers our TrailManor as a "Travel Trailer."

The first campground we stayed at said their regulations classified our TrailManor as a popup, but they went on the say, "The owners aren't campers, so they don't know any better. Anyhow, it's early in the season and we have lots of spaces, so we'll call it a Travel Trailer." They put us in with the coaches!

Happy camping in your TrailManor Travel Trailers!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

There was one post on rv.net I recall about someone being turned away from a "swanky" campground in So. CA because they were in a "popup".

After reading this, I concocted a plan in my imagination. I thought about leaving the campground after being turned away, popping up the TM, and then coming back through an hour or so later (hopefully after the kiosk shift changed) as a true "travel trailer" and changing drivers.

And then when I left, I would have popped down the TM for everyone to see and never gone back there again.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Other than in bear country, we never felt unwelcome in popups, but that was a decade or so ago. And Yellowstone never mattered because we couldn't get reservations there anyhow, so we always stayed in commercial campgrounds in West Yellowstone. The campground guidebooks are always great about stating the rules, because the campgrounds don't like surprises either. In a quick Google search, I'm not finding campground references that have the phrases "no tent trailers" or "no popups", so they must not be very common these days, either.

The one thing that I've run into that's not been mentioned on this forum is that there are state parks in Maryland that allow "tent" trailers, but not full sized travel trailers (Cunningham Falls, for example). I haven't decided whether to push that particular envelope with the words "we have a folding trailer, and need a reservation..."!

We are in a curious position in the "for sale" ads where they'd like us be a travel trailer, a hybrid trailer, or a folding trailer, when we're not exactly any of the above. I'm inclined to call us "travel trailers" for those who ask. I'd prefer not encountering any serious campground confusion about all this, so maybe I'll just chose the words carefully from "we have a hard side folding travel trailer".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
mgoblue911

Default New school "Exclusive RV Parks"

Check out this from their brochure:

2008 RV Rental Rates

Summer ( May 23 to September 1 )

Daily $45
Weekly $300
Monthly $1035
Seasonal Lakeside & Ravine
( Class A Coaches only)
$3,800
RV non Lakeside $3,400
Plus $100 electrical deposit
Visitors $3.00 per day

Cancellation Policy: More than 14 days Full Refund, less than 14 days to 24 hours $45 charge, less than 24 Hours NO REFUND.

Summer weekends two night minimum. Holiday weekends (Memorial Day , Fourth of July, Blueberry Festival and Labor Day) three night minimum.

Tents and pop-ups not allowed. All RVs must be 25’ or longer, 10 years or newer or like new condition.

Saw some rep's at the RV show in Chicago. When we descbribed our 2007 3023, they concluded that we were absolutely welcome in "their park". Kind of hilarious actually. An upscale RV park.... oxymoron?