TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
MidwestDave

Cool Many Thanks

Many thanks Bobby! This looks like what I need to do. I am impressed in the fact you incorporated the phone jack with external RCA connectors and also found a very versatile radio combo to handle a variety of tv, radio, mp3, video pictures. This is one of the many reasons why TM owners should belong to this form. I thank every one of the member responses.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
ragmopp

I really can't gripe for the price, but I just wish the unit had a built-in ATSC (high definition) tuner, instead of just a NTSC (regular analog) tuner. All the television stations are turning off their NTSC broadcasts in 2009, by federal law. This will make the radio unit's built in NTSC tuner worthless then, unless I want to hookup a ATSC convertor box. But who wants another piece of electronic equipment taking up space and power in their trailer. It bewilders me why television manufacturers are still making stuff with only NTSC tuners in them, but they are.

Bobby,

I am a little confused on how you used the tuner in this radio. I suppose I am missing something here but why use that tuner when you have the tuner in your tv? By the way I have looked on the net and I have not been able to find a radio/dvd player that does have ATSC capability. Of course, maybe I am looking in the wrong places...

Mike Anderson
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post

Bobby,

I am a little confused on how you used the tuner in this radio. I suppose I am missing something here but why use that tuner when you have the tuner in your tv? By the way I have looked on the net and I have not been able to find a radio/dvd player that does have ATSC capability. Of course, maybe I am looking in the wrong places...

Mike Anderson
Mike, to use the tuner in the (or a) television set, then it will have to be hooked up to the outside antenna. I could just hook a coax to the television set, and then into the 12V/amplified antenna 75 OHM connection to easily accomplish this. It's just another wire showing at most. If I set it up this way though, then the only sound I have is thru the television speakers. However, if I use the radio's built in television tuner, then the AUDIO is transmitted to the trailmanor speakers, along with the sound to the television set........without hooking up any different wiring configurations. This is the whole point I am trying to accomplish which is to transmit the sound thru the trailmanor speakers.

Another benefit to this setup, is I can also hook the rca jacks up to my laptop computer inputs (which doesn't have a tv tuner), and watch regular television the same way as above on it.

I hope I explained it where everyone can understand. I think I know what I am trying to say, but aren't sure if I am verbalizing it correctly.

If you do find a radio/dvd player/mp3 player with a built in ATSC tuner, I would be greatly interested in it. I got the BOSS one I installed at www.onlinecarstereo.com. They had some real good pricing.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #24
ragmopp

Thanks Bobby that explains the need for the tuner in the radio, and the way you hooked it up.
I have an extra dvd player so I put that in a cabinet and then purchased one of those FM transmitters. By turning the speakers on the tv up and using the FM transmitter I can then use the TM speakers and the tv speakers. However it is cumbersome and those FM transmitters are not very good (lots of static AND the need to find a frequency that is not being used).
I think the method you have used is much better, but I will wait till I can find one with ATSC capability (besides I just put the trailer away for the year). I would think we should start seeing ATSC tuners on these radios sometime next year....

Mike