TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Even if the welding was legit, it certainly was not a $1,000 welding job (considering the rest of the stuff should have maybe cost ~$600).

Dave
The actual charge for installing the lift kit was $275 including the kit. They quoted that before I ever gave them a list of things I wanted.

Im going to pick it up tomorrow. I'll try to post the actual invoice so you can see the breakdown(if it is broken down).
Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Well, maybe. On the other hand, at one time the factory-installed lift kit (the square steel tube) was welded into place rather than bolted. It is possible, I suppose, that they used that particular installation as a production example. Should have known better - but then again, if they didn't weld, they might have had to drill big bolt holes in the frame and/or the kit.

Not to say that I know why they did what they did - but it is possible that it is legit.

Bill
I may be wrong but I thought that the lift kit came pre-drilled, with the bolts and everything. I didn't think that the price ($275) was that far out of line, it was just the comment about "Welding" that seemed a bit odd. I may be way off track about that. Maybe they bolted and welded it. Sure seems like over-kill, if they did. Double nutting the bolts would have been plenty effective IMO but it's not my shop.

BTW.... I got a quote from a local detailing company to buff-out and wax my trailer.. $300......and that's in Beverly Hills. They have a mobile unit that comes to us or I could bring the trailer to them.....same price.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
I may be wrong but I thought that the lift kit came pre-drilled, with the bolts and everything. I didn't think that the price ($275) was that far out of line, it was just the comment about "Welding" that seemed a bit odd. I may be way off track about that. Maybe they bolted and welded it. Sure seems like over-kill, if they did. Double nutting the bolts would have been plenty effective IMO but it's not my shop.

BTW.... I got a quote from a local detailing company to buff-out and wax my trailer.. $300......and that's in Beverly Hills. They have a mobile unit that comes to us or I could bring the trailer to them.....same price.
That's about what they quoted for the wash/wax/cleaning job.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #24

Picked up my TM from Peco yesterday.
Parts Total: 179.04
Total Labor: 1,374.65
Freight(Lift Kit) 10.80
Tax: 13.31

Grand Total: 1,577.80

The biggest charges on the breakdown were intalling the lift kit, $222.75,
Cleaning and waxing, $350, packing wheel bearings, $148.50, repairing 3 leaks in plumbing, winterizing and replacing w/h anode rod, $198, and pressure testing the LP system, $49.50. Everything else was small change type stuff pertaining to general TM maintenance. Their Labor rate is $99/hr. From now on I'll not be seeing Peco unless its for something major or warranty stuff.
If anyone wants to see the complete breakdown. Send me a message and I'll emaill a copy.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #25
robertkennel

On the other hand maybe they pay their mechanics a decent wage to keep responsible and talented people. Do you really want the cheapest place, which probably pays the lowest wage to its mechanics working on wheel bearings, brakes, and gas lines. If you were a good mechanic would you work for the highest wage or the lowest. You get what you pay for! Such a famous cliche and it ends the sentence with a preposition. I never go with the cheapest. Robert
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #26

Oh I agree. I never said they didn't do excellent work. I just think $99/hr is a bit much for labor. I should add that they did not do anything I did not have on my list except for the anode rod, which I ment to put on the list anyway. In fact, the service manager requested an itemized list of all the things I wanted done before I dropped the TM off. I guess that will teach me to keep my lists a little shorter. They did some welding on the lift kit during install. I don't think it was actually necessary. I think that is just the way they do lift kits on other brands and they did it the way they know. At least I know it won't slip!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Ours is a different size but manufactured the same year and there is some existing spot welding that would have to be addressed to install a lift kit on ours. I'm not saying the price is right but someone would have to pull out a welding torch at some point with ours. After five weeks out, we still haven't decided if we want the lift kit or not.

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
Ours is a different size but manufactured the same year and there is some existing spot welding that would have to be addressed to install a lift kit on ours. I'm not saying the price is right but someone would have to pull out a welding torch at some point with ours. After five weeks out, we still haven't decided if we want the lift kit or not.

Malinda
I am very happy with the lift kit. I needed the extra clearance, if for nothing else, to keep the rear end from dragging when I pull out of the driveway where I store the TM. It also made hooking up easier since I bought my new Ford 4x4 which sits a little higher off the ground than my old truck.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
Joseph

Thank you for sharing your experience with PECO.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience with PECO.
My pleasure. I appreciate all the great advice I get from this forum.