TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Dixielou

Default Honda Ridgeline Truck

Overall, we have been delighted with the towing ability of the Honda Ridgeline. It is quick and responsive with trailer in tow. Maximum torque is available over an exceptionally wide range of engine speeds (3,500 rpm to 4,500 rpm), which makes one think in highway passing situations there's a V8 under the hood. In towing our TM we have had absolutely no problem in keeping up with traffic. The Ridgeline's high-tech 3.5L engine is the same engine as in the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot, but built extra-tough with a 5-speed automatic that was specifically engineered for the Ridgeline. This is one tough truck, and it rides beautifully with and without the 3326K in tow.

We have traveled on many steep and long inclines, but as of yet we haven't ventured into the mountains with our trailer and Honda. Given the Ridgeline's 245 lb.-ft torque rating, I would anticipate slowing down in the highest of elevations. For someone planning on frequent camping in high elevations, and/or routinely traveling in the higher mountains, I think a V8 engine, with a minimum of 300 lb.-ft + torque, would be more appropriate for the 3326K. Having said all this, you may be surprised to learn that for quite a few years I towed a 3124KB, and later our first 3326K, with a '94 Ford 4WD Aerostar minivan, 5000 lb rated towing capacity, which only had a 215 lb.-ft torque engine. With this Ford truck we towed our TM's all over the western USA and into Canada, avoiding the highest mountain ranges when possible, and to my distress, experiencing the dreaded "white knuckles" when not possible, but surviving to live and love another day. Compared to the Ridgeline, our '94 Ford Aerostar (which we still have) is of an old technology and certainly not in the same league as the Honda truck of today.

We purchased our Honda Ridgeline truck primarily to serve as an everyday driver but also wanted a truck to be able to tow our 3326K. Realizing that our loaded TM ready for the road would be close to the Ridgeline's towing recommendations (5000 lbs.) I have taken several precautions, such as replacing stock oils with Amsoil. Our Ridgeline has Amsoil in the engine, transmission, transfer assembly and rear differential. Synthetic lubricants in general, and Amsoil in particular, protect an engine and drive train from the heat and wear induced by towing. Synthetic oils add a measure of protection to the power train that all who tow ought to consider. Also, I never pull our TM with its water tank full. Since we only stay at camp grounds and parks with full facilities, it is not necessary for us to carry the extra weight of water. We do not overload our 3326K, nor our Ridgeline. Lastly, I do not drive with trailer in tow faster than 65 mph, other than when passing.

In summary, we continue to be delighted with our Ridgeline. It is a great everyday ride and a safe and competent tow vehicle.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Assuming the 3326 has brakes on all four wheels I would think towing it with a marginal TV on down-hills would be safer than some of the other TMs -- I'm not suggesting that the Ridgeline is marginal.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Dixielou

Your assumption is correct, the 3326K TrailManor has 10" electric brakes on all four wheels. The Honda Ridgeline has excellent stopping power. It has 4-wheel disc brakes and a 4-channel anti-locking braking system which helps maintain steering control during hard stops.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
EdfromMaine

Dixielou

Thank you, we knew our Ridgeline was a fine truck but needed to hear about "real life" towing experiences. A 3124KB may very well be in our future.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
riverrat

Dixielou,
Thanks very much for the detailed responce. I have really enjoyed driving our RL and hope to be able to purchase our TM soon. The possibility of a 3326k would resolve the retirement rig question for us. Thanks for the tip re Amsoil. I had heard about this but had not checked into it. I have been to the piney rolling hills of east Texas. Grew up in Marlin just south of Waco. Planning a trip that way soon. My parents live at Lake Somerville.
We purchased the RL for essentially the same reasons, great comfortable everyday vehicle but with intent of towing a TT. One question are you happy with the Mckesh mirrors on the RL? I though of trying to find some that attach with three arms to the front fender well and the joint between the hood and fender. I used this type for years on a full size Ford wagon towing a Jayco J king tent trailer back in the 70's. However I think the left front post might obstruct my vision since the attachment point would be closer to the driver than on the long hood of the old Ford wagon.
Oh if you are considering a shell for the RL, we recently got a Leer shell. It is comparitively expensive but so far as I know Leer is the only one making a shell for the RL so far. However, it is a very nice shell, headliner, interior light (which is really not necessary as you know), the rear window opens by itself when unlocked and the side windows open a little at the bottom to vent (with screens) incase you have a pet in the back. I also got the Thule rack with the top mounted tracks that you can get factory installed. I also got a removable rack to mount on the RL cab up front so we can carry our canoe. Anyway, the color match is very good and overall the unit seems to be very good quality. Time will tell.
OOPs this was supposed to be a Quick Reply. Hope to hear back form you soon.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #16
ragmopp

Riverrat,

I don't own a Ridgeline, but I can give you my opinion on the McKesh mirrors for my Tacoma. They are great. I know some folks have not been happy, but mine worked fine for my old Tacoma and now with the new Tacoma. I had those Cibe strap on ones, and they were useless on my old truck. That might possibly have been because the shape of the mirrors. Regardless, they shook and kept falling off. What I really like is that once you have set them up the first time, it only takes a minute per side to reinstall them each time you need them.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #17
riverrat

ragmopp,
Thanks for the input about the mirrors. I assume you have the ones that attach to the door or do you have a fender mount? Hope you are enjoying your new TM.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
ragmopp

Yes, I have the ones that mount on the door...Couldn't be any easier, and also have had zero problems with the units doing any damage to the paint (in case that might be a concern).

I have the TM set up by the garage and spent the last weekend, with DW, getting it ready for camping. We also jacked up the TM and removed all the tires and took them to be balanced and metal stems placed on the rims. I am glad that I did this now in the 'privacy' of my yard, before having to figure it all out if I got a flat.

Looks as if we have decided to go to McCloud for the Shasta Dinner Train this weekend....Thats as good a excuse to take the TM out as I can figure.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #19
Dixielou

riverrat,

To answer your question, the McKesh mirrors are the best of several types of towing mirrors I have tried, although I have not had a pair of the three arm mirrors you referenced. None of these add-on mirrors are totally satisfactory as they all tend to need adjusting or tightening from time to time.

I have seen pictures of the Leer shell in photo's submitted by Honda Ridgeline owners at www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums and they are neat. You have a nice set-up with the Thule rack, and all. Do not want to continue Ridgeline talk here in the TrailManor Forum so you can use my e-mail address if you would like to chat further.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #20
PopBeavers

We bought the TM 2720 with swing tongue because it was the largest hard sided trailer that I could find that would fit in my garage, length 19 foot 6 inches.

If it weren't for the swing tongue I would have gotten the 2619 and suffered with the double bed instead of the queen bed.

We looked at many tent trailers. The TM bathroom is nicer than any tent trailer bathroom that we ever saw.