TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
macdasher

Default What am I looking at here...

What is this appliance which is located in my prospective 2720 from 2001 which is located a great distance from me?

Is it AC? If it is than it is obviously side mounted. Does anyone know how well the side mounted AC units work for cooling down a 2720?

It's important...it's currently 91 degrees with 60% humidity here!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	297045_6.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1321  
Old 07-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

You're correct. It is a side mounted air conditioner. Our 2002 2619 has the same type unit. You'll no doubt get a lot of opinions, but we live where it is hot and humid much of the year, and I consider the AC performance in our TM to be marginal at best when the temp gets in the upper 80's. You don't get much cool air to blow toward the beds (the 2619 has beds fore and aft). I think the factory now uses roof mounted ACs, and I would think they would provide better air circulation, since cool air tends to fall.

We supplement the AC with a few small fans to help move the air. This seems to work pretty well for us.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I believe it was Denny-A who reported getting good service out of his side air conditioner by running the roof exaust fan at the same time. You have to get rid of the hot air near the ceiling if you want cool air to replace it. A 5' paddle fan blowing the hot air down to mix with the cool might work as well but I don't recall anyone having one of those :-).
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
pbuck1

I rotate the upper louvres past their detentes to fire the air upwards. It seems to help. I actually don't find the side air too bad overall although I'm sure the roof air does a better job. We have to use a portable fan at night to get the more cool air into the bed area.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Freedom

We have the side air on our 2000 2619 and last year in New Mexico in heat around 100°F the A/C did a very good job of cooling the TM. I was impressed as I had figured it wouldn't keep up. It did run constantly and the noise is obnoxious, but it cooled really well. Maybe some others need a little more Freon or something?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default IMHO the........

.........side AC unit is OK for moderate temps (i.e.; below 85deg F). Beyond that it takes a lot of improvisation to stay moderately comfortable. Lots of luck if there are kids going in and out regularly. At least yer feet will stay cool!

South Atlantic and Gulf states during summer. Forget about it. I tended to go south in the fall & spring and stay north during the summer, so was rarely in extreme conditons. The few times were memorable.

Denny_A
Old 07-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have a 2001 2619 with side a/c. Our experience has been that it is, as someone said above, marginal. But with a good floor fan and turning the a/c on full blast as soon as the power cord gets plugged in, we have done all right in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
Doug W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
It is currently 104 here in North Central Texas. Tomorrow's forecast is for 105 with the heat index of 107. I don't care how efficient my a/c works, I'm staying home.....
All I could do, if camping, would be to stay in the shade and sweat or stay inside and listen to the a/c hum. (slight roar).
It will be that way 'till mid-September.
When I was younger, I did a 50 mile canoe trip in temps like this. I also crewed on a sailboat when it was 104. I don't remember what position we came in, but it was nowhere close to first place. Been there, done that.
Leon, You need to come up to the nice spring feed rivers of Missouri to canoe. Even if it is hot, a dip in the river cools you right off.

I have the roof mount A/C and it keeps our trailer cool even in the middle 90s.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
macdasher

Thanks everyone for your advice and wisdom.

Incidentally, When I was younger I used to work in the engine room of a small ship that cruised exclusively in the Caribbean. I used to come out of there (120 degrees) into the 98 degree heat and think the outdoors was air conditioned.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
macdasher

Tomorrow I'm going to call the dealer with an offer. If we work everything out I'll put down a deposit and plan on driving down in August. I hope to camp on the way home so do you have any suggestions for the first night in Texas?