TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
FotoCEO

Default What options would you order if you could?

Reading through the forums has been extremely helpful - a wealth of information indeed! We are getting ready to order our TM and I was wondering if you all would give input as to what options you wish you had and why. Also, if you know of something that they can do that isn't in the official list of options that we should consider, I'd love that info as well!

Some of the things we're considering are: microwave instead of oven, all vinyl floor instead of carpet (I think I'd rather cut a remnant to size than try to keep the installed carpet clean), AC.

The available options for the 2006's are:
• Air conditioning
• Awning
• TV antenna with power amplifier
• TV shelf
• Bike carrier receiver
• Satellite dish
• Solar panels (anyone know what size - and whether we should consider this??? Is this just for boondocking?)
• Electric tongue jack
• Microwave
• Hanging Kitchen Cabinet
• Swing-around tongue, reducing storage length two feet
• 3 drawer dresser
• Stove cover

Thanks! Joni
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You'll get a lot of different answers, and of course they are all related to the way different people use their TMs. Will you use your TM the same way I use mine? Probably not, so my answers won't be right for you. That being said, my list is:
  • Vinyl floor - yes
  • Airco - yes
  • Awning - yes, though only for resale value, we've never used ours
  • TV antenna - yes - I like my quick morning news fix, and occasionally use it for rainy days
  • TV shelf - no, we don't lie in bed and watch TV, esp when we are camping
  • Bike carrier - no, we carry our bikes on the tow vehicle
  • Sat dish - no, we don't lie around and watch TV much
  • Solar - ONLY if you are going to do serious boondocking
  • Electric jack - hmmm, maybe, never had one but it would be handy
  • Microwave instead of oven - no, we like to be able to cook when we are boondocking
  • Hanging cabinet - yes, much to my surprise. It is handier than I thought
  • Swing tongue - only if you need it
  • Dresser - no, we have plenty of space without it (there are only two of us)
  • Stove cover - no. I don't know what is good about it, but I bet it falls on the floor
Good luck

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default stove cover

In our TM, the stove cover is attached to the rear of the stove in two places and swings up against the wall behind the stove as a (sort of) grease shield. It can also be folded in half so that it does not cover so much of the wall behind the stove. When covering the stove top, it keeps the grate from popping off during travel.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default microwave drawer

The microwave drawer is almost an essential, in my opinion. It fits between the counter beside the stove and the wardrobe, making the counter surface level and giving you another drawer. The surface that it sits on is lower than the rest of the counter in order to make room for the rear bed to slide in.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
cmc211

I like vinyl floors(no worry about getting musty and easy to clean.
Hanging cupboard. yes I love it!! Great for cups dishes, etc
I did get the TV shelf it is nice to lay in bed and watch TV sometimes.
I got the microwave, electric oven combo. So far I like it.
Swing away hitch no because can't fit a 3326 in the garage anyway
TV antenna Yes
A/C South Texas a BIG YES!!!
Satellite, From what I here 80% of the time you can't get reception based on camper placement. If I were to get a dish I would get a portable one on a tripod that I could move to clear trees but so far no need.
Awning yes however have found I don't use as much as I thought. Just too windy every where we camp.
Thats my 2 cents!! Good luck
Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Bill & Lisa

Default My input for what it is worth

Some items work better in some models than others..This is what we have in our 3023

[Air conditioning - Yes, most camping happens in the summer and most places in the lower 48 get warm enough to need it (it IS a metal box in direct sunlight.....besides with DW's allergies we use it regularly
• Awning - We like and use ours. We have lights to put out and during some parts of the day it is nice to keep the sun from shining through the big window the 3023 has on that side and baking the insides. We do not leave camp for any length of time with it up unless we have it staked down. Having one blow over the top of your TM and smack your A/C can ruin your day
• TV antenna with power amplifier - Ours came with it, we use it, and it is a good resell value item.
• TV shelf - We put in two corner shelfing units from shelf expressions and DW's small TV fits fine as well as a ceramic heater when it is cold out. (We use 2 heaters because the design of the TM doesn't make for good distribution of the heat from the main cabin back to the back bed area. For the "front room" you can find several do it yourself shelves including one I made. Adding a memory foam pad has made my original choice no longer useable. we also found that sitting with our backs against the forward bed and looking towards the kitchen the couches are much more comfortable than facing forward. We have come up with a new triangler design that will take up 3-4" of the self above the refridg, and hook to the TM wall using hanging cabinet mounting brackets, hold our 17" flat screen and the Direct TV reciever box. Pictures to follow once we build it.
• Bike carrier receiver - We have one installed. Haven't used the bike rack in it yet but have used the wheeless trailer to haul blue tote and satelite attenna. Currently have a 6' tool box where I keep lightweight stuff. (ground mat, satelitte dish, hose, ardco cover etc.) see pictures at this link http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=rear+hitch
• Satellite dish - concur with CM211 - We like to camp in areas with trees. We went the route of stand alone antenna (DW found good deal on ebay) haven't tried it yet but we will eventually.
• Solar panels (anyone know what size - and whether we should consider this??? Is this just for boondocking?) - Again, we prefer to camp in areas with trees so it doesn't work for us. We did put a second battery in to extend our legs a little when a/c is not available. We mostly camp with at least electric and water.
• Electric tongue jack - Didn't have one originally but got one soon after switching to equalizer WDH. Numerous cycles up and down to attach/detach trailer, raise tongue and rear of vehicle up to put bars in place or remove bars soon made an electric tongue jack a very worthwhile investment
• Microwave - We have a seperate Micro wave and toaster oven. DW is very accomplished cook and sometimes needs full size oven. (peach cobbler this last weekend was fantastic )
• Hanging Kitchen Cabinet Use it all the time. Not sure where we would put the stuff in it if we didn't have it but it would definately be tougher to get to. It does make the sink area a little dark and the installed light casts your shadow over the sink so we installed a single tube plug in florescent light under the cabinet that works great.
• Swing-around tongue, reducing storage length two feet - our model will not fit in our garage so we don't have. Some folks have had problems with the induced stress this option has above and beyond normal solid tongue so if you need it to stow the TM in your garage go for it, if not avoid it as it is one more "complication" that you shouldn't add if you are not going to use it. THat said, it may be a good idea for resale value but I don't plan on selling ours any time soon and a search on the topic will show that the modification can be done afterwards if desired.
• 3 drawer dresser - Lovely idea and doubles as a TV stand but no place to put one in a 3023....
• Stove cover - We have one and wouldn't be without it. It keeps so much stuff from falling into the stove burner pan. Even though we have modified the metal grate so the 4 legs are held in with cotter pins vice pressure washers it still is not the easiest thing to remove to clean the bib area. The cover looks good when closed (as well as providing another flat surface). We normally lay a towel across the top to provide pressure between the underside of the rear shell and the top of the cover to prevent it bouncing around.
+ Flooring - ours was a tech rep demo and came with the carpet and vinyl mix and we have been pleased with it so far (8 trips and counting). I can see where over time the carpet will show wear quicker than the vinyl. I guess we can always add a throw rug over the carpet as easily as over the vinyl.

Anyway as others have said each person has their own preference. These are ours. I hope they give you ideas and info to outfit your TM to your liking. After all, in the end it comes down to your preferences and happiness so go with your instincts.

Bill
One option not on the list is the 40 Gal potable water tank vice the 20. we have the 40 gal on our unit. It may not be on option on all models since I believe the 2720's have their tank under the sink. Ours is under one of the couches
Old 04-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Lisa
One option not on the list is the 40 Gal potable water tank vice the 20. we have the 40 gal on our unit. It may not be on option on all models since I believe the 2720's have their tank under the sink. Ours is under one of the couches
My 2005 TM 272 was ordered with the 40 gallon tank under the street side seat. This past weekend I used all but a few gallons in a dry camp at a race. 2o gallons would only last me through a weekend. I am glad I had the 40 gallon tank.

It was muddy, glad I had vinyl instead of carpet.

I discovered that if the wind is strong enough to fly a kite is is strong enough to rip the awning. Not sure what I will do to repair/replace it. The factory awning requires zero wind.

We always use the hanging cabinet.

Since we mostly dry camp the microwave is of no use. In the future I might buy a small one to take on the rare trip where we have hookups. The gas oven makes nice biscuits and cookies. Trust me.

Without the swing away tongue I would have gotten the 2619 instead of the 2720. We like the queen bed and extra storage. There is a recent thread where Dinuba RV is apparently now recommending that they add the swing tongue as a modification instead of the factory tongue. I also have a long thread regarding the cracked tongue I encountered. Basically, if the swing tongue allows you to get a longer unit into the garage then go for it. If you have no need for it then skip it.

For the rest of your questions I have nothing to add beyond what others have already said.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
genesc

Default Oven

If you are going to order your TM with an oven, I strongly recommend that you order the model with the pizeo light, in order to light the burners and oven. Just press a button to light the burners and oven.

genesc
Old 04-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Genesc -

I wasn't aware that there is such an option. Can you tell us more?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
genesc

Default Piezp knob

TrailManor has not offered this option, but if enough people request it, I would think that TrailManor should be able to make it available. It is much easier to light the oven with the piezo knob. We do not have it. If I would have known such a feature existed when we ordered our TrailManor, I would have wanted that model oven installed. I am now looking into seeing if there is a retrofit.

genesc