TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Al & Barb

Default Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, Exterra - which is best for 2720SD?

We have just ordered a 2720SD and now have to choose a TV. We are looking at Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder or Exterra, and would love to hear recommendations from people who have used these vehicles. We plan to travel all over the country (including the Rockies).

Al & Barb
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
wwjam

We have an Explorer, and since buying the TM we have been grateful more than once that we have this TV. So far it has fit all our needs for towing. We can only speak for the towing the TM we have though, the 2720SL. Not sure how it would be for towing the larger TM's since we really haven't checked that out. I don't know about the other vehicles you mentioned, but Ford lists all the towing abilities on their website.

Hope you find the right one for your needs.

Wayne and Jo Ann
Old 03-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Cateye
Cateye

Default Tow Vehicle

We have a 99 and 05 Grand Cherokee (with hemi). Both have towed our 2720 without a problem. The 05 is a dream tow vehicle with the hemi and full time 4wd. It is stable, powerful and economical. We also tow a trailered Jeep CJ7 (something around 5500 lbs) and the 05 doesn't know its there.
2003 2720SL
1999 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L V8
Quadradrive
Factory Towing Pkg.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
PopBeavers

If you think you *MIGHT* ever rent a trailer from U-Haul, you might want to check what their policies are. As of Spring 2005 they would not rent a trailer to an Explorer as a TV. That was the only TV that had the issue. Appears to be a left over polciy from the lawsuit several years ago.

It may not matter to you.

They may have changed their policy since last year.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
wwjam

Hmmmm... didn't know that about U-Haul and the Explorer, or any lawsuit. I guess I wouldn't haven't commented on our Explorer if I had known. Ours is a Limited V8, with a heavy duty tow package, and we don't have any problems with it.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I was renting a car hauler to go fetch my son's dead truck for scrap.

The guy in front of me wanted to rent a small covered box trailer to tow behind his Explorer. I don't know what year the Explorer was. The only prohibited TV was the Explorer.

He ended up renting a truck and a car hauler to carry the explorer on.

This was at a U-Haul in San Jose, CA.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Bill & Lisa

WWJAM,
Your opinion on using the Explorer as a tow vehicle was what was asked for and you were kind enough to give it. Pops added another piece of information that the perspective buyers may want to look into but in no way lessons the value of your input unless it has changed your mind about your vehicle, which I don't think it has. Bottom line, no one knows everything there is to know on any topic and the fact that so many people are willing to share their opinions and experiences is what makes this forum a great source. Don't stop giving your opinion just because someone has something different to say. I dare say that among any group of owners of anything from washing machines to lawmowers there will be glowing praise and horror stories. No guarentees that our experiences shared here will insure that a new owner has the same results or level of satisfaction. Thanks for your input and keep it coming
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
wwjam

Bill and Lisa,

I appreciate your kind words, and encouragement to continue sharing. This forum is a rich vast of valuable information, and I want to do our part in contributing anything that might be helpful. But, I don't want to give information that would be better left unsaid, or harmful. I was a little shaken reading that information about the Explorer. It made me question our TV, do some research, and most importantly give this information to my husband. After all was said and done, we are still happy, and confident, with our Explorer and it's ability to tow. Although, I would like to find out the reason U-Haul denied towing with an Explorer.

Thank you,
Jo Ann
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I was just reading in the morning paper that the parents of a young American woman who was killed while standing in front of a foreign army bulldozer in a combat zone is suing the American manufacturer of the bulldozer. It's not about the Explorer, it's about avoiding any exposure to possible litigation.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
PopBeavers

I wasn't trying to make anyone panic about the Explorer when I posted the U-Haul story. I was attempting to provide a "heads-up" for a special situation.

My guess is that U-Haul has a situation with their insurance company regarding the Explorer because of the Ford/Firestone lawsuit several years ago. There are any number of happy Explorer owners. My point was that if anyone is looking to by an Explorer as a TV and IF they think the might ever rent from U-Haul, then you might want to give U-Haul a call to find out the current situation. It is quite possile that my information is obsolete by now (one year later). Maybe by now Ford has put some pressure on U-Haul to change their policy.