TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
KdHammonds

Default Storage Space

Hello all TMers'. It has been awhile since I have posted, but we have continued enjoying our 3023. We have discovered that storage space is at a premium. With five of us and two dogs all our "stuff" is difficult to stow when we are camping for more than a weekend.

I am interested in everyone's experiences and tips for storing, clothes, food, pots, pans, etc. I have looked at several posts and have gleaned many good ideas, but could use a few more.

Thanks,
Old 02-26-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default pots and pans we use

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdHammonds
I am interested in everyone's experiences and tips for ... pots, pans, ...
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=26150
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Four of us camp in a TM2619 so we understand the space issue. We bought some stackable racks from Home Depot to store our food. You can see our set up in the photos below:

Food Rack Photo1

Food Rack Photo2

We keep our clothes in duffle bags and shoes in a laundry basket. We also do alot of shuffling.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

Roll clothing together by outfit. Pants on the outside, then shirt, underclothes and then socks. Roll up and then stow in lockable storage bins kept either under the beds outside of the camper or in the back of the TV. Once a day, before bathing, everyone picks out the outfit for the next day and whatever sleepwear for the night. That is the only time alloted for going into the clothing box. Saves a lot of "shuffling". Shorts & a T-shirt (or a set of sweats) double as PJ's at night, and can be stuffed into a pillowcase for daytime storage, next days wear stows in the pillowcase for nighttime storage. If you have a luggage rack on your TV, all you need are the bins and a bungie cord type cargo net to make this work.

Plan, Plan, Plan! DH was a submariner and we find ways to make space count.
Plan your meals, make use of leftovers for snacks or lunches. A snack of cut fruit salad can be a fruit cobbler for dessert, or the makings of a waldorf salad for lunch.

Take foods out of boxes, zip bag, label or tear off the instructions and stow inside them, then store the bags flat in a large open topped basket. This saves you the space that the box takes up. Store canned goods in a layer under those baskets--you only need four corners to hold up the baskets so the space between is usable. A piece of cardboard folded so as to be doubled works great for making a shelf. BTW, do this in the storage bins.

Stack, Nest, Compress! Stacking campers pots; nesting tumblers, nesting cups, "spooning" measuring devices, compress linens and Pillows in vacuum bags

An old GS trick was to put clean clothing in a pillow case. Use a pony tail holder to keep it shut and use that as your pillow. As your clothing was dirtied, you put your dirty clothing back in the pilow case. This kept all your clothing in one place and allowed an easy job of laundry when you got home. Works well with extra blankets, too.

Plan shoe needs by what can do double duty. ie., the daily flip flops could also be pool/boat/shower shoes/slippers. One pair of tennis shoes may suffice for each trip.

Travel sizes do save space--and there are travel toiletry kits that hang from the bathroom walls. Alternately, a large pencil pouch works well for the smaller children, and a wire clotheshanger can be cut and shaped into an over the wall hook for hanging storage.

Family use items (toothpaste, floss, med kit, etc) should be kept small and stored in the bathroom cabinets. It's better to refill after every few trips than take too much and not be able to store it all.

A car top storage option is well worth the investment,especially when you travel with children and animals. However, you can really pack for multiple week stay with just 7 days of clothing, some pre-measured laundry supplies, a roll of quarters and dimes, and a menu plan. Those pop up hampers are wonderful for dirty clothing you may wash on site.

So the best answer is to consider all your usable space and how best to fill it and still be able to use it. Our 3023 has a long and narrow vertical storage space under the front of the rear bed. Our stick vac, collapsable broom/mop/squeegee, go on one shelf along with the tool bag and shower helper. The other shelf has some see through shoe boxes and then other baskets stacked on top to best use the space. Makes a great pantry area!

Stow whatever you can in the microwave (my coffee maker fits in mine), in the toaster oven (my spice rack), the oven (the knife set and cutting boards), the tub (the toaster oven), bathroom floor (the microwave), the sink (drainer/board, paper towels & holder, over cabinet light). Think of yourself as a cat, where could I run if the TM were shut down, and find a way to use that space.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
solejnik

We bring a small 2 man tent with us and set it up next to the TM. It's our "shed", and holds dirty laundry bags, mudddy shoes, bulky jackets and the like while we are camping. Keeps everything dry in the rain, and is "invisible" in the campground!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Very cool ideas!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
coulter

One thing I noticed since we got the tm, I was constantly shuffling stuff around on the countertops. I just ordered a couple of these http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4744667 coleman hanging tent organizers, I figured one hanging in the corner from the wardrobe, and another somewhere by the sink could hold that misc. stuff.
Another thing we do is carry 2 18 gallon rubbermaid bins with us, as we dirty laundry it gets tossed in those which are stored outside under the bunkend.. it they are empty for travel we just stick something else in there., it's handy when you have to go to the laundrymat during travel, you take them in dirty wipe out the bin and bring back the clean stuff inside.. this is a hold over from our pop-up days.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Another organization helper? Over-the-door hanger hooks are great in many places. We hang a couple of them in the hall, over the top of the bathroom wall, for towels. Two more go just to the right of the main door, over the top of the wall and under the velcro - and a plastic grocery bag hangs here, to serve as a wastebasket that is off the floor and out of the dog's reach. I screwed two of them to a plastic paper towel holder, and it hangs over the top of the bathroom wall next to the kitchen sink. And another right beside it to hang the dish-drainer on. I have another that I can hang over the door of the rear storage compartment, to hold my bag of hose accessories. And of course, the original hands-free shower holder (from Hal) is based on a couple of them.

They are really cheap at Walmart, and I get an amazing amount of use from them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info. We use most of the ideas you mention, but I just ordered 2 of the hanging units that you suggest. Sounds like just what we need ,too. We're from Florissant, but will be in Springfield in June for a meeting. Pulltite on the Current is one of our favorites. Olga and Ken, Northwoods
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
PopBeavers

We run out of space for miscellaneous stuff. The stuff you keep in pockets. Wallets, small cameras, watches, flashlights, change, chapstick. They end up on the counter and there just isn't much counter space. Sometimes we put it on the ledge behind the seats for the dinette in our TM 2720, but it gets knocked off.

I have decided to build a small tray out of nice looking wood. This tray will be the length of the dinette seat and the width of the space between the seat and the wall of the upper shell, around 4 inches. The depth will be up to the curtains, about 3 or 4 inches. I will probably create three or four compartments to keep it all from sliding around too much. There are three places in this space where there is exposed velcro, that is normally used to hold the flap up when the TM is closed. By putting velcro on my little storage box in the proper places I figure it won't slide around or get knocked off. During travel it will just go on the floor.

I am also considering building a ledge for the front bed. This would be similar to some of the TV stands that people have. It will have a base under the mattress, a wall up the end of the mattress and a platform on top to store stuff. It will be high enough to put your feet under while sleeping. DS is about 6 foot 5. He carries all of his stuff in a very large duffle bag that I never make any attempt to lift (ah youth). Right now he puts his duffle bag down by his feet and he either puts his feet on top or he sleeps diagonally. I think this shelf will improve his comfort when he goes with us. Ditto for any other occasional guest.

I intend to get the newer cabinet for over the stove and add it to my 2005 TM 2720. Good place for light weight stuff.