TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
jackehop41

Default Honda Ridgeline???

The "little woman" loves the Ridgeline so I told her I'd inquire if anyone has used it as their tow vehicle. I know it's a little light in towing capacity with a 5000 top and it has a V6 but I'd like to hear from anyone actually using it with a TM. THANKS, Jack
Old 12-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Start by cranking up the Search tool on "Honda Ridgeline". There is quite a bit of info.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Jim-NY

Jack,

Your “little woman” and I share a common love. I have never felt such passion for a vehicle until I got my Ridgeline.

I pull a 2720SL with mine. I have not taken it to the real demanding mountains of the west, but on relatively level roads and low elevation mountains such as the Catskill’s in NY, I have had absolutely no problems. If you search for Ridgeline you will see posts where I was told, mostly based on the available torque, that it will bog down at high altitudes when I do go out west with it. Time will tell. I have not noticed any posts from anyone towing in the high mountains with a Ridgeline yet. If you see any please let me know.

I don’t think the 3023 is a whole lot heavier than the 2720SL in itself, but what someone pointed out to me when I was looking into TM’s on this site before I bought mine, is that it has room for more people and stuff therefore it can get quite a bit heavier when you take everything into account. I can only tell you that the 2720SL tows very well below 3,000 feet including significant grades.

There was at least one other Ridgeline owner on this board. I don’t recall what sized TM they were pulling.

Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
janthony

Dixielou Flint (TX) tows a 2004 TM 3326K with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Ridgeline would be my TV of choice, too, but don't have a TM yet. Still thinking about it all.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
George H.

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackehop41
The "little woman" loves the Ridgeline so I told her I'd inquire if anyone has used it as their tow vehicle. I know it's a little light in towing capacity with a 5000 top and it has a V6 but I'd like to hear from anyone actually using it with a TM. THANKS, Jack
Sorry for such a delayed reply. I am a new TM owner, 2720, with a Honda Ridgeline 2006 as my tow vehicle. Just finished towing it four hours from the dealer, mostly on open highway. Here was my experience. The tow was fairly smooth without problems. It seemed to have enough power to maneuver the roads without holding up traffic, and could pass other vehicles easily. I had to get a hitch that was raised by several inches to compensate for the TM weight on the rear of the Ridgeline in order to keep the TM level. The back end of the Ridgeline sagged a little bit but it was not too noticeable. The dealer talked about "springs" (not sure what it is really called) that could be added to take some of the weight off the Ridgeline but he did not think they were needed with the very little sag that I had. The spring rig weighed 80 lbs. So all in all, it was a good ride for a pick-up that does not have the power of an F-350
Old 03-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Jim-NY

Default One Ridgline Owner to another...get a WDH

George,

I have never towed my 2720SL without a weight distribution hitch (WDH), but when I did not have it adjusted enough to bring my Ridgeline back to its original level position my headlights were shining too high. For me, that would be reason enough not to tow without the WDH. I think a WDH will also help with tire wear, driving comfort, handling, and someday you might want to carry some weight in your truck bed while towing. It may add 80 pounds but I would still recommend using a WDH.

The WDH that I bought came with plenty of height adjustment so I have both my TM and TV level.

I bought my TM sight unseen and then got an inexpensive WDH on e-bay before I went to pick it up. I panicked when I found that my propane tanks were in the way when hooking up my WDH. I now follow a simple alternate procedure hooking up that works. There is nothing wrong with my WDH, it's just that another design would make hooking up my trailer a bit easier. From my experience, I would suggest you look at the physical relationship of the WDH to your TM before you commit to a style. Not only are all WDH’s not the same, but not all TM’s are the same either. If you get one installed at a dealership, it should not be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
George H.

Default Purchased WDH

Jim:

Thank you. I suppose you can tell I am a newbie without experience. Your advice on a WDH sounds logical and I will check it out. I also failed to mention that I got 14 miles per gallon of gas. Do you know if that will get better with a WDH?

George (hunting for a WDH)
------------
Update, 3/8/06:

OK, I purchased a WDH for my TV/TM. I had it installed at Restless Wheels in Manassas VA. They (Paul) did a good job and educated me with practical hands on training. The rig looks great, level and I easily detected better handling while towing the TM with my Ridgeline. It cost me a total of $550 and I have it set on the 5th chain link at this time. Thanks again to all. Until next time,

George H.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Jim-NY

George,

I get less than 14 mpg towing (12.8 on a recent trip to Florida and back to NY), but I think it has nearly everything to do with my heavy foot and not the WDH.

I bought my Ridgeline when they arrived at the dealerships one year ago. I bought the TM in June. I have only taken it on a couple trips and I am still learning myself. I think it's a great combination. But as I said earlier, it sounds like I could be wishing for more torque if I take it over any high elevation mountain passes.

I did have the 20 amp fuse in the line running to the DC Power to TM blow on me once. It happened on my way back from Cape Breton. My freezer food thawed but the fridge stayed cold enough that nothing spoiled. I have not figured out why the fuse blew. The Ridgeline comes with a spare fuse, but now I have a few with me and I open the fuse box to check the fuse once in a while while traveling.

Jim
Old 03-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Blown fuse in 12V line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-NY
I did have the 20 amp fuse in the line running to the DC Power to TM blow on me once. It happened on my way back from Cape Breton. My freezer food thawed but the fridge stayed cold enough that nothing spoiled. I have not figured out why the fuse blew. The Ridgeline comes with a spare fuse, but now I have a few with me and I open the fuse box to check the fuse once in a while while traveling.
The same fuse in my truck blew once when I was fairly new to trailering and would occasionally partially insert the Bargman plug upside down before realizing my mistake. It was raining heavily when I was hooking up. I do not think that the plug can be fully inserted if upside down, but perhaps water on the plug allowed the ground terminal on the plug to make contact with the 12V terminal on the truck's socket, which I think would blow the fuse.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #10
George H.

Default Reply on WDH Info

Leon from Texas:

Thanks for that great explanation of how the WDH distributes the tongue weight. Both Jim from NY and you have convinced me to get one installed for future trips. As a note, I own the 2720 that sleeps six (if the dinette table is closed down).

George from VA