TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
jjneff

Default Angry Neighbor

I want a Trailmanor in order to slow down and enjoy life. I got a call last night from my neighbor saying she is going to take me to court over the Trailmanor in my yard. It is tucked away nicely and you can't even see it from the road. The good news is I have sold it already and I hate to see it go but we decided to go for a smaller unit like the 2720SL. But.... it looks like I am bound by the covenants even though I signed the contract and had a set closing date before they were enacted. However I took possesion after they were inacted. Oh well any advice besides moving would be great I'm just bummed all around
Old 11-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
jlh29303

Default U Store

You might want to try one of those self storage places. Sometimes they will "store" your camper or boat inside their fence for a small rental fee. Are you selling before you've had a chance to take it up on Hwy 11? The good thing about the 2720SL is you can get it with the optional swing away hitch. This allows you to store it in your garage, away from grumpy neiighbors' eyes.
Good luck!

Jim
Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
jjneff

Default Yes Before I Got to try!

I was very sad about not being able to try it out. I have tried everything out on the camper and all works as it should. I hate to see it go but if I wait until next year it will be worth less and I want to have as much money as possible for a 2720SL! So I decided to go ahead and sell now. We have been in a TM before and camp every year at the beach with the family in their campers. The storage place is to expensive to justify you could take a two week vacation for the cost of storage, plus it has been broken into many times. We will consider our options and hopefully be back in it soon!!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

She is just being bitchy, as so many neighbors will be. Her first stop is not court, but the Home Owners' Association. If she bypasses the HOA, she will be thrown out of court until she has done so.

Your first step is to read your covenants very carefully. Some just say "NO CAMPERS" period. But mostly they say "... not visible from the street, or from a neighboring property, unless screened by a 6' fence ... blah blah blah". You might find that your TM is perfectly within the rules - or would be within the rules if you erected a simple screen.

If you think you are (or could be) legal, your next step is to meet with the president of the Home Owners' Association, and explain what you would like to do, and meet with him/her before your neighbor poisons the well. Explain, quietly and respectfully, that you respect the covenants, you understand their purpose, you want to be in compliance, and here is what you would like to do in order to meet the restrictions. Don't mention your neighbor, or her threats. Don't rant and rave - be the very essence of reasonableness. Your goal is to get permission, in writing, to do what you need to do - and do it before your neighbor initiates a fight. HOA officers hate a fight, and their knee-jerk reaction to calm things down is to say "NO" to you.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Carole

Default Angry neighbor

We have CC & R's where we live. It states that the RV must be behind the set back of the front of the house.

Carole
2006 Titan
Old 11-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Bill & Lisa

We live in a PUD--much like your CC & R restrictions. Our initial pop up fit behind the fencing, our 3023 will not. Luckily we found a storage area at a more than reasonable price with 24/7 access.

However, we moved our fence line from the back edge of the side of the house to the front edge (perfectly legal with PUD rules) and stored our pop up behind the extension. You might be able to store your TM in the backyard so long as you have enough access through the fence and adhere to easement restrictions. We created a gate using two 8 foot sections of fence that swing together at the center, voila--a 16 foot gate! Of course, I didn't mention we live on a corner lot and the rules are more stringent for this type of property!
Old 11-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
jjneff

Default Looking Good

There is no HOA in my neighborhood. There are 20 other homes with a camper, boat or utility trailer on their lot uncovered. So I called my lawyer who closed on my house and happens to work for the biggest and best law firm in Greenville! He said that you can not selectively enforce the law it has to apply to everyone and she has no case. He is sending her a letter so we will see how it works out. There are only 45 houses in my neighborhood. I want to be a good neighbor and have done everything I can so that you will not be able to see the camper in my yard! I don't mind my neighbor I just want things to be fair. Thanks for the response
Old 11-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
calypso

I feel your pain! We have a HOA and are not allowed to have any type of RV visible...must be behind a fence. This is normally not a problem as we store our 2720 in the garage. However, when we return from an outing and need to clean the trailer, we have to work very quickly as we've already had a neighbor call and complain that it was out on the street. Some people don't have anything better to do than to make everyone else miserable!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Subdivision Covenants

We also live in a subdivison with strict covenants. Because of this, we opted for a 2619 with a swing-away hitch that snugly fits in the garage. I have to back the TM down a narrow driveway (on a hill) and then use a dolly to make a 90º turn into a "drive under" garage. Defintely not an ideal situation, but it will have to do for now. Next house will have a straight and wide driveway with a "pull through" garage with a door on either end! (and no covenants!)
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote