TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
pbuck1

Default Can I tow my 2720SL home with my RX300?? help!!

Hi,
I just bought a 2001 2720SL and need to collect it imminently from N. Fla to drive it home to Wash DC, I95 all the way (excl. stops). I bought it with the impression that my Lexus RX300 with 3500lbs/350lbs limits would be adequate as a long term tow vehicle. After reading this forum (esp. Toyota Highlander comments), I realize it is probably not, so I intend to change tow vehicles. I plan to replace the 2000 Lexus with, say, a 2001 4Runner /Infiniti QX4 which I think should be adequate for the long term.

My dilemma is: do I a)tow home with the lexus anyway which gives me time to replace the vehicle at a more leisurely pace, i.e. time to think and browse vehicles for sale? or..
b) Rush out and buy a replacement vehicle right away because I just shouldn't use the RX to tow the TM home?

I'm working with this for the RX300:
TM's UVW is 2950 lbs per the seller. I assume this includes options since spec'ed dry wt. is 2680 lbs). So with two 150lb people in the RX I'd be just OK maybe if lightly loaded and dry except for propane. The TM comes with Reese wt. dist. hitch and my Hidden Hitch receiver spec is spec'd for WDH use (5000/500lbs) . Can I use this combination to adjust to be OK with 350lbs tongue weight limit? Also I've just received my Prodigy brake controller but not yet installed it. ( I guess I can install in the RX then rip out and reinstall in new vehicle if need be).

I'm a new RVer, and I wanted to make the trip back my first camping trip (2/3 nights). Is it possible to do this relatively comfortably when I must have dry tanks and virtually no load when moving?

I'll be v. grateful for any comments/suggestions that will help me make this decision.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
BobRederick

pbuck

I think you will be fine for this trip. Reasons:
* Use hookups at the campgrounds and empty before leaving.
* 1 full propane tank will suffice for the trip. Refrig will be about the only user.
* Use your cell phone to make reservations and have a campground book in the car. Some tell last years' costs as well as ammenities.
* You can avoid heavy mountain cllimbing. You might check the route to be sure this is the case. Climbing and high altitude is where you will really see the TV power and residual cooling capacity issue show up.
* Being it is new, you won't have it heavily loaded. You have to carry everything you need in your truck going down.
* Take $$$ and a map to the Wal-Marts and Camping Worlds! You will find a lot of things you "just have to get"...

We did this last fall -- towed a "new 1 yr-old 3326" 2000 miles from Indiana to Arizona. I have a GMC Envoy 6 Cyl and it is rated for the load. We didn't hit any climbs until getting into Arizona where I was able to hold 50 MPH or higher all the way.

Have fun!

Bob
Old 08-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

And lock it out of overdrive while towing.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Couple of additional...............

........points.

1) WDH will redistribute 2/3 of the tongue weight off of the tongue. Assuming close to proper setup, 1/3 to the RX front axle, and 1/3 to the trailer axle. No worries about the 350 lb tongue weight limit.

2) A 2001 (and 2002) 4Runner is power/torque limited. As in 183 HP and 217 lb-ft torque. Torque is king when towing.
a) A 2003 4Runner SR5 4WD returns 245 HP and 282 Lb-ft torque. Much more flexibility for most towing needs.
b) If cost is the issue, then a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder comes in at 250 HP and 240 lb-ft of torque. Better than an '01 or '02 4Runner, but not up to the 03 4Runner.

Denny_A
Old 08-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Thinking further about your situation and assuming the 300 is still under warranty, I'll offer a few more personal opinions. I would forget camping and concentrate on just getting the TM home. Considering the temperatures back your way I would travel at night or at least in the cooler parts of the day. I'd also strip all but the front seat out of the 300, stay in motels and travel with little more than a toothbrush.

We towed our 2619 for 20,000 trouble-free miles with an 02 Honda Odyssey minivan which was car-based like your 300, had the same 350/3500 tow limits but had a longer wheelbase, a factory tow package and was bigger and heavier. We removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the Ody and packed like we were going on a backpacking trip but were still within a few lbs of our allowed GCWR. We also traveled in spring/fall to avoid the heat.

I recently visited an owner's web site for a larger mid-size luxury SUV and a "towing" search brought up a lot of discussion of whether they could be towed behind a motor home but nothing about using them as a tow vehicle for anything other than small boats -- and even that was limited. you'll probably find the same thing on the 300 owner's site.

I should tell you that I'm a little conservative so you'll want to keep that in mind while considering my opinions. I don't wear a belt and suspenders with my elastic waist pants like some guys here but I'm not far from that :-).
Old 08-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
pbuck1

Thanks for everyone's great advice. So, I've decided to use the RX300, travel lightly and when cooler, and not buy the new tow vehicle in a rush.
For the new tow vehicle I'd actually meant the 2001 Pathfinder/QX4 not the 4Runner/QX4 - I guess getting your Japanese cars mixed up is a sign of age. Both these are 240hp, 265 ft.lbs @3200rpm.
Incidentally, I wonder what margin the manufacturers really have in their tow limits? Some of the numbers are suspiciously round and/or happen to match tow hitch standards. The RX300 US spec limits are 3500lbs trailer weight and 8000lbs GCW. While the European spec limits for the exact same vehicle are 2000kg and 4000kg (which is 4400lbs and 8800lbs). Do you think the cars are actually built differently or do you think the US figures are more conservative because the US is more litigous?

Paul
Old 08-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Had a discussion........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck1
............snip..........
Incidentally, I wonder what margin the manufacturers really have in their tow limits? Some of the numbers are suspiciously round and/or happen to match tow hitch standards. The RX300 US spec limits are 3500lbs trailer weight and 8000lbs GCW. While the European spec limits for the exact same vehicle are 2000kg and 4000kg (which is 4400lbs and 8800lbs). Do you think the cars are actually built differently or do you think the US figures are more conservative because the US is more litigous?

Paul
.......about tow limits recently. Concerning an Acura MDX, limited to 3500 lb capacity. Turned out, the limit was based on"dumbing down" to the "average, uninformed buyer". They assumed a trailer is a big, slab-sided box creating beaucoup drag. Yet a 4500 lb boat/trailer combo was ok - aerodynamic and all!

Comparing the slab-faced, full height trailer to a trailmanor revealed that the trailmanor's parasite drag is as much as 70% less. Imagine that.

European trailers tend to be much smaller than those in the US. I confirmed that visually whilst watching the Tour de France this year (on the Telly). Never saw anything as large as we see on the road regularly. Increased tow limits "might" be explained as simply as that!

Just a hunch.

Denny_A
Old 08-13-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

There is a lot of luck involved in these things. There is a guy over at the Odyssey owners site who has been pulling a grossly overweight Airstream since 2001 with his minivan and Honda has replaced his transmission free of charge twice during that time -- once after his warranty expired. His dealer has never asked what he was towing but I get the impression Toyota is not that lenient.

Good observation on the European #s. I have no idea why it would be so different but I do know their countries are the size of our states and they have been paying $5.00 gal for fuel for years -- possibly they don't log many miles.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Windbreaker

Ever time one of these "can I pull a trailer with my 'insert match box racer here'" questions is ask I can't help but wonder "Why do people want to do this?"

If you're going to pull something, anything, buy a truck that was built to do it!
If you like driving the little cars, and still plan on camping, pull it behind a motorhome. Please remember "THEY DON'T RV IN JAPAN!"

Of course we may not be RVing here too much longer with the price of fuel what it is.

Just my $.02.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Windy

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessmant. The TM is targeted toward those people who will use their daily-drivers for towing a few times each year. Generally speaking, trucks don't make ideal daily drivers and few working people can justify keeping one sitting around just for towing. For many the only logical alternative to a TM is a canvas popup and even those are pushing up into the same weight range as the TM.

The Sport (stripped) TM models weigh significantly less and would be a good alternative for some but they apparently haven't caught on and are not readily available. I think we could get by with a Sport model because we use the TM's toilet for liquid only and have never used the shower. YMMV

There are a lot more people successfully pulling a TM with a minivan or equivalent than you may be aware. Also, there are people out there pulling 5th wheels that weigh twice as much as their tow truck. The hitch-ups we are discussing involve almost equal weight between the TV and TM.