TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
wbkahuna

Default OLD TM in paper

I called about a 1987 TM and was told its a 2518S. He said it hadnt been used in years. The AC and frig. didnt work. He said they needed charging..?? He also said the wood trim inside could be replaced with a plastic kit from TM.The awning was useable but had a broken L braket..Besides that it was clean and useable.Asking price is $ 2200.What do I need to know or look at on these older models?Any and all advice appreciated.Supposed to go look at it today if not sold. Thanks in advance Bill
Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
BobRederick

big kahuna
I understand that before about 95 the TMs used wood frames inside and around the edges of the shells. The shells sometimes collected water and rotted a lot of the wood out. You can do a search and find pictures of folks repairing these. Its quite a job.
Bob
Old 07-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Larry_Loo

Exclamation Look for Happytrails

Kahuna, another "Bill," aka "Happytrails," did extensive repairs on a TM of that vintage a few years ago. Happytrails documented his rebuilding work on his own web site, which may still exist out there on the ether waves. Do a search on this site for "Happytrails" and read over his earliest postings (perhaps around 4 years ago?).
Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If the A/C and refrig don't work, and need to be "recharged", that means they have lost their freon - the original charge of freon has leaked out. If a new charge of freon is all they need, then it is a little expensive, since they undoubtedly need the old freon (called R-12, I think). The old freon can be had, but it carries a hefty premium these days (I just recharged the A/C in a '93 Saab). The new freon (R-134a?) is not quite so expensive, but you can't just substitute the new stuff in a system that was built for the old.

Beyond that, the fact that the old freon has leaked out probably means that the refrigeration tubing has corroded and has one or more pinhole leaks. Although a good refrigeration guy can find and repair a leak, you can be sure that there are more pinholes waiting in the wings. As a practical matter, a relatively old A/C and refrig that have lost their freon probably have to be replaced. And they cost several hundred dollars each.

If you proceed with the purchase, be prepared to replace them and hope that you don't have to. If the present owner tells you that my diagnosis is full of farina, ask him to back up his statement with a one-year guarantee - you will pay for an initial recharge, but if either one loses its freon again within a year, he pays to replace the unit. If nothing else, it's a good sincerity test.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Frig uses Ammonia/Hydrogen, not Freon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
If the A/C and refrig don't work, and need to be "recharged", that means they have lost their freon - the original charge of freon has leaked out. If a new charge of freon is all they need, then it is a little expensive, since they undoubtedly need the old freon (called R-12, I think). The old freon can be had, but it carries a hefty premium these days (I just recharged the A/C in a '93 Saab). The new freon (R-134a?) is not quite so expensive, but you can't just substitute the new stuff in a system that was built for the old.

Beyond that, the fact that the old freon has leaked out probably means that the refrigeration tubing has corroded and has one or more pinhole leaks. Although a good refrigeration guy can find and repair a leak, you can be sure that there are more pinholes waiting in the wings. As a practical matter, a relatively old A/C and refrig that have lost their freon probably have to be replaced. And they cost several hundred dollars each.

If you proceed with the purchase, be prepared to replace them and hope that you don't have to. If the present owner tells you that my diagnosis is full of farina, ask him to back up his statement with a one-year guarantee - you will pay for an initial recharge, but if either one loses its freon again within a year, he pays to replace the unit. If nothing else, it's a good sincerity test.

Bill
Concur on the AC...a Freon recharge after finding where the leak occurred is sufficient. Probably anywhere from $100 to $300 for labor and replacement Freon.

However, the 3 way "absorption" type refrigerators don't use Freon, but rather an exotic mix of Ammonia and Hydrogen. From everything I've read, once that coolant leaks out (usually due to deterioration of the tubing), it's nearly impossible to get it working correctly again...they apparently can't be "recharged" and the entire refrigerator has to be replaced. A replacement Dometic absorption refrigerator of the size used by TM runs around $700 to $800 (plus another couple of hundred for installation...they're not normally considered a user installable device.)

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good catch, Ray, thanks. I was aware of the special stuff in the absorption refrig, but I guess my mind was floating somewhere in space.

One other point. If the A/C lost its freon, and the system has sat empty for several years, it is quite likely that a small amount of water has found its way into the system. This may render the compressor inop and non-repairable.

Bottom line, I think it is reasonable for the OP to expect to replace both appliances, and build the cost into his thinking.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
wbkahuna

Are all 3 way refrigs,absorption type or just the older models like 87? How can you tell?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default All

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkahuna
Are all 3 way refrigs,absorption type or just the older models like 87? How can you tell?
If the refrigerator uses a heat source (e.g.. a propane fueled gas flame or electrical heater) as the energy source for cooling, it is an absorption type refrigerator. As far as I know, all 2-way (propane or 120 AC) or 3 way (propane, 120 V AC, or 12 V DC) RV refrigerators are of the absorption type...and that includes both the older models (like your '87) as well as those sold today.

Non-absorption refrigerators, be they of the thermoelectric type or of the compressor type, must have a source of electrical power...they can not use propane gas as an energy source.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #9
wbkahuna

you da man!!!! Your a walking book of information!! Thanks alot.Im learning. Bill