TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #11
radiojon

I'm having the Acura dealership install a regular, factory-made towing package next Wednesday; I figured that was the best way to go, given that I'm leasing the MDX and want to make sure I'm staying within full compliance of any warranties, etc. (If I DO end up having problems with the vehicle after using the trailer, I can claim that I'm within the Owner's Manual's recommendations.) The Owner's Manual only references guidelines with the factory-installed tow package.

Is it not going to be a WDH that the dealer installs? My neighbor and I figured they'd be installing whatever's best for the specific vehicle, no?

Am I better off to go with an after-market WDH, and have another place install it?

I feel like a goof, but I really haven't considered any of this until now. Suggestions, please!

Thanks again,

- Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default The dealer will be installing a hitch receiver, not a hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojon
I'm having the Acura dealership install a regular, factory-made towing package next Wednesday; I figured that was the best way to go, given that I'm leasing the MDX and want to make sure I'm staying within full compliance of any warranties, etc. (If I DO end up having problems with the vehicle after using the trailer, I can claim that I'm within the Owner's Manual's recommendations.) The Owner's Manual only references guidelines with the factory-installed tow package.

Is it not going to be a WDH that the dealer installs? My neighbor and I figured they'd be installing whatever's best for the specific vehicle, no?

Am I better off to go with an after-market WDH, and have another place install it?

I feel like a goof, but I really haven't considered any of this until now. Suggestions, please!

Thanks again,

- Mark
There is a vast mis-understanding floating around that that thing at the rear of the vehicle that gets installed as part of factory tow packages is a "hitch". Back in the day when a hitch included a ball mount, that was true. But it's not anymore! That part that will be installed on your vehicle is a hitch receiver...the part that the actual hitch (drop down, weight distributing, whatever) will slide into and be attached to by a hitch pin. After the dealer installs the hitch receiver, you can (and probably must) go to another store (usually a hitch shop) to buy the WDH since I rather doubt that Acura/Honda make weight distributing hitches.

Yes, the hitch receiver that will be installed is likely optimized for your vehicle. It's completely up to you to find the best hitch to insert into that dealer installed receiver.

Clearer now?

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
radiojon

Gotcha, Ray ... thanks for clearing that up for me. I totally get it now.

Okay, next question (and I'll bet I'll find the answer if I do a "search", correct?) -- any ideas on the best hitch to purchase for my type of TV?

My guess is that opinions will vary on this one, but I can't understand why I would NOT want to get a WDH. Seems as though they're the most safe to use -- why in the world would an auto manufacturer recommend AGAINST towing with one?

Again, thanks for setting me straight ... guess you really can tell the newbies in this bunch, huh? ;-)

- Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

If it's like the Honda factory tow package; in addition to the hitch receiver, the dealer will install: (1) an auxillery transmission cooler (2) an auxillery power steering cooler and (3) a wiring bundle to the rear bumper. You'll also need a 7-pin receptacle to go on the end of the wires so the trailer wiring harness can be plugged in and a brake controller for the trailer brakes. You can see pictures of all these things by clicking around on http://www.etrailer.com. The factory tow package can be bought off the internet and self-installed for about half the dealer's installed price but that is only an option if you like doing that sort of thing.

Your TM dealer knows all this stuff and is not going to let you tow the 2720SL off their lot without being properly setup for towing. There are a variety of WDHs however and the more you know before you go in the more likely you are to be satisfied with you hitch. They'll all work however as long as you get the proper weight-distributing bars for your TM's tongue weight.

As some old-timer is alleged to have said: "the only dumb questions are those we don't ask". So feel free to keep coming back.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I can't understand why I would NOT want to get a WDH. Seems as though they're the most safe to use -- why in the world would an auto manufacturer recommend AGAINST towing with one?

- Mark
Perfectly good questions, Mark.

First, you will (MUST) have a WDH on a tow vehicle of this size. Only a few people on this board tow without a WDH, and generally speaking, they have LARGE tow vehicles.

The second question, why would a manufacturer recommend AGAINST a WDH, is more ticklish. I believe that the answer is this. When you snap up the spring bars on a WDH, the hitch (and hence the receiver) is put under a tremendous torque (twisting or rotating force). That is, the rear of the receiver tries to rise upward, and the front of the receiver tries to twist downward. The receiver is bolted to the frame, so the frame has to resist this twisting force. With a full steel box-girder frame, this is no problem. The frame is very rigid, plenty strong enough to resist this twisting force. But a unibody isn't as rigid, and if it can't resist the force, the surface to which the receiver is mounted may twist when you snap up the springbars. Not good, obviously.

Do I understand that your vehicle has kind of a a hybrid frame - part box beams and part unibody? Make sure you go to a GOOD hitch installer, and tell him what your trailer will weigh, to ensure that he finds the strong points. The Acura dealer is probably a good bet, since he will have to accept responsibility if it is mounted wrong.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #16
radiojon

Okay, I just spoke to both the Acura dealership for explanation: basically, their feeling is that the weight distributing hitch places loads on other parts of the MDX that isn't designed to take anything other than vehicle/passenger weight (the suspension, etc). Supposedly, it would cause premature wear and stress to those other parts of the vehicle. He said that the hitch that comes with the tow package (yes, there's a hitch -- i only need to purchase a ball mount) is what they recommend towing with.

So now I'm VERY confused. Acura says don't use a WDH, but it sounds like I'm compromising safety and ease of use if I don't. On the other hand, if I use a WDH, it could cause undue stress on the vehicle and could cost me hefty repairs (or worse).

If I can't use the MDX, it rules out getting a TrailManor (or any other trailer, for that matter) until I'm ready to get another TV, which won't be anytime soon.

Suggestions??

- Mark

UPDATE -- The salesperson at the TM dealership said that I can't use a WDH with a TM swing hitch anyway. Anyone using a WDH with a swing hitch?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #17
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

First I need to take back my statement that your TM dealer won't let you leave their lot without being properly set up. Obviously that is not the case if the salesman thinks you can't use a WDH with the swing tongue. We don't have a swing tongue but many people here do and as far as I know they are all using WDH's.

Re your Acura dealer: I've suspected for some time that the explanation you got from your dealer was Acura/Honda's real problem with regard to WDH use and they just weren't admitting it. They probably fear someone will attempt to pull a trailer with a huge tongue load or use a WDH far stronger than necessary for their trailers tongue weight. WDH's are made that will handle up to 1400lbs of tongue load and if someone used one of those with a light trailer like the TM they probably could damage the suspension of a car/minivan based SUV. It would be like suspending the rear wheels off the ground and putting all of the TV/TM weight on the TV's front wheels and the TM wheels. I'm not an engineer but it seems logical to me that the Acura's frame should handle the 100-200lbs of twisting force a properly chosen and set up WDH will put on it better than the 400-600lbs of downward force of the trailer without a WDH. Also, dumping all the weight on the rear bumper and behind the rear wheels is going to lighten the front end so how could it hurt to put some of that weight back. Maybe one of our engineers will address that issue. I installed the Honda tow package on our Odyssey and I noticed considerable reinforcing underneath the rear end and there were pre-drilled and threaded holes where the hitch receiver is bolted on. I can't imagine the MDX would be any different.

IMO the solution is to get the proper WDH -- and kick that TM salesman in the pants when you see him.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #18
radiojon

Okay, I called the saleswoman (sorry, Frank, won't be able to kick her in the pants, but I WILL tell her she could be mis-informed ) today and told her we'll buy the 2720SL, on the condition that I'm able to get the proper towing gear all set up on my MDX, so at least they're holding it for us. The MDX goes to the dealership next Wednesday to get the tow package installed -- cooling fans for PS and transmission, as well as hitch receiver and whatever stock hitch they install with it.

Once that's all done, I'll go and find a proper WDH (should I get it at the TM dealer -- which is also a Camping World?) ... sounds like I'll need one rated for about 600 lbs of tongue load and 4,000 lbs of trailer weight, correct? Then I'll install that.

Then, hopefully, I'll be all set. Whew, thank GOODNESS for this forum!!

- Mark
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #19
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Found an interesting.......

....link, regarding your MDX. Quite interesting indeed. It's a round-tube, class 3 receiver for a 2001-2005 Acura MDX.

http://store.yahoo.com/autoaccesscon...dx2cl3trh.html

The intersting part is this little tidbit:

Quote:
Weight Rating:
Quote:
3,500 LBS. WC / 5,000 LBS. With weight distribution system (Gross Trailer Weight)
Very interesting ideed - if it proves to be correct!

HTH - Denny _A
Old 07-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
The salesperson at the TM dealership said that I can't use a WDH with a TM swing hitch anyway. Anyone using a WDH with a swing hitch?
Mark -

The salesperson's statement is dumb to the point of being dangerous. Any number of people on this board, including myself, have a swing tongue and a WDH. Works great - I wouldn't leave home without them.

I agree with everything Frank said, so I won't waste space repeating it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote