TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4leisure View Post
Thank you. I decided to use a residential a 115v receptacle, and used spade lugs with the 14 gauge stranded wire to have angled connection on the receptacle terminals.
Just be sure that your inverter is grounded to the trailer's grounding system.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I had two golf cart batteries that could be charged by two solar panels on the roof, a 2200W generator, or a 110vac input. My inverter was 1kW.
Being a Floridian, the gen could also run the AC which was equipped with a soft-start device.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #13
JimLilly

Default Easiest, simplest way

As an electrician all my life I was looking for a similar answer to your question. Have a couple of devices like my laptop charger and a digital projector that would have been a pain to convert to 12 volts. I looked at transfer switches and electrically held DPDT contactors but didn't feel like investing the time. Ended up plugging a good quality extension cord into my 1800 watt inverter which is mounted in the rear with my two 6 volt golf cart batteries. Plug the other end into a 120 volt adapter for the TrailManor cord. Easy Peasey. Totally eliminates any chance of being plugged into shore power while plugged into inverter power. Just need to be wary of running the other high amp draw TrailManor devices like the AC unit, but this would be true for any of the transfer switch solutions also. You could turn off the breakers for these devices if you felt so inclined. On most TMs turning off the breaker for the refrigerator / water heater (which you probably don't want to run on 120 volt from your converter anyways) will kill power to your converter. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.
JimLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #14
cjminear

On my 2006 2619 I installed the inverter up front under the dinette bench door side. That way the inverter was close to the battery. The inverter I bought is a charger and has a Built-in transfer switch. I ran Metal case romax Inside the frame all the way to the back Went through the rear bumper storage and fished it in where the main power cord goes in. I disconnected my converter altogether Since the inverter had a charger. I removed the wire from GFI 20 amp breaker and ran my inverter bypass/battery charger to GFI 20 amp breaker output. GFI plugs I ran from the inverter output to the sub breaker panel to the black wire I removed from the GFI breaker to the plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	21456   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Diag.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	21457  
Attached Images

cjminear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLilly View Post
Ended up plugging a good quality extension cord into my 1800 watt inverter which is mounted in the rear with my two 6 volt golf cart batteries. Plug the other end into a 120 volt adapter for the TrailManor cord. Easy Peasey. Totally eliminates any chance of being plugged into shore power while plugged into inverter power. Just need to be wary of running the other high amp draw TrailManor devices like the AC unit, but this would be true for any of the transfer switch solutions also. You could turn off the breakers for these devices if you felt so inclined. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.
The issue with doing that is that you are running your converter to charge the batteries while using the batteries to run the inverter which charges the batteries to run the inverter.... phew!! Made me tired just thinking about it.

Of course, you could put an "on/off" switch on the converter. Just remember to use it.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #16
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjminear View Post
On my 2006 2619 I installed the inverter up front under the dinette bench door side.
The ideal place your the inverter on the front mounted battery models is on the outside, just above the batteries. Eliminates noise a d cooling issues. Shortens cables as well,

It's totally protected from the weather when camping and in storage.

Just be sure that they are low enough to clear the interior cabinets when the roof is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ConverterInstall 013a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	21458  
Old 10-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #17
benjburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLilly View Post
I looked at transfer switches and electrically held DPDT contactors but didn't feel like investing the time. Ended up plugging a good quality extension cord into my 1800 watt inverter which is mounted in the rear with my two 6 volt golf cart batteries. Plug the other end into a 120 volt adapter for the TrailManor cord. Easy Peasey. Totally eliminates any chance of being plugged into shore power while plugged into inverter power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
The issue with doing that is that you are running your converter to charge the batteries while using the batteries to run the inverter which charges the batteries to run the inverter.... phew!! Made me tired just thinking about it.

Of course, you could put an "on/off" switch on the converter. Just remember to use it.
Wow, why did I never think of that! Great solution!

So I guess the only downside is a little extra battery drain in order to power your converter so that it can, uh, charge your battery? While a little odd when you think about it, I don't see this as a big concern given the simplicity of the solution. It doesn't seem that it would cause a problem, unless I'm missing something?
Old 10-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjburton View Post

So I guess the only downside is a little extra battery drain in order to power your converter so that it can, uh, charge your battery? While a little odd when you think about it, I don't see this as a big concern given the simplicity of the solution. It doesn't seem that it would cause a problem, unless I'm missing something?
You do not want to run the converter off of your inverter.

If you don't want an automatic transfer switch (ATS) just turn off the converter while running the inverter. The drain is a LOT more than you might think and your batteries will soon be depleted.

On some models, the circuit breaker that controls the A/C also controls the converter. Just be aware that the 1st time that you forget to unplug your inverter when you connect to shore power (for whatever reason), you will instantly fry your inverter. The ATS is cheap insurance and avoids having to remember all that switching stuff.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #19
JimLilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post

Good points Wavery. I had disconnected my converter from charging my batteries a long time ago. Use solar to charge them now. Turning off the refrigerator / water heater breaker, which I wouldn't use on inverter power anyways, will kill power to the converter on most TMs. Will edit my original post. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #20
JimLilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjburton View Post

On most TMs turning off the breaker for the refrigerator / water heater kills power to the converter. Edited my original post to reflect this.