TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Deadbolt on upper door? Is this possible?

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I've searched the past posts and haven't found anything conclusive one way or another.

Has anyone ever put in a deadbolt on to the upper door of the TM?

Have found info on adding a cabinet lock to the upper door (thank you, Larry Loo). I think we'll do this if we can't do the bolt lock.
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Deadbolt on upper door? Is this possible?

I think Civil_War_Buff put one (a deadbolt) on that he got at Wallyworld. Might search on that, maybe check with him, or as I recall he might have pictures on his website.
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

His is on the lower door, just checked the pix on his website....

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Yup, lower. Missed the "upper" reference in your post when I replied.
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
shunter917
Site Sponsor

Since the factory is now doing this, I don't see why you couldn't, too. You might want to call the factory and see if the lock is a special kind, etc. They might just sell you one of theirs reasonably and give you the installation instructions, too.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #6
Larry_Loo

B_and_D, I'm not familiar with the factory-installed deadbolts on the new models of TMs. Can they be locked from both the inside and the outside of the doors? Or, are they lockable only from the outside of the trailers?

The cabinet lock I installed on the upper door works very well when we're outside our trailer. When we're inside at night, though, we can't use it because there has to be a key in the exterior side of the lock in order to swing the latch to the locked position. I've thought about adding a sliding bolt on the inside of the upper door to provide additional nighttime security. It would be an easy installation.

Larry
Old 06-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
KB7OUR

If anyone has installed a deadbolt on the "upper door section" please let me know how you did it. When we ordered our 3023 new they were already installing the "lower door deadbolt" on TMs so I asked if this could be done on the upper door as well for added security. At the time it was not possible due to space constraints between the shells which apparently doesn't provide enough room on the inside to accomodate the lock when the TM is closed. Maybe a low profile deadbolt requiring a key on both sides could work. Surely there must be a way ;D.

Wade
Old 06-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Question for Larry Loo

Larry,

Do you have any pictures of your cabinet latch installation? I was considering putting a cabinet "draw latch" on mine, is this what you did? I am looking for a better way to clamp the door halves together as well.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
rxdave

I have a 3124KS 2000 model. When at the rally lst year I picked up a combination deadbolt and regular lock. I replaced the regular lock with the new one and had the local dealer put the deadbolt on the UPPER door. I don't understand why the factory doesn't do it this way. The upper door has a lip on it that prevents the lower door from opening if the upper door is locked. I lock it when traveling and lock it at night when we are in the trailer or any other time. I might be able to get you some pictures if you want. [email protected] or 5053216905 Hope this helps, Dave
Old 06-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
KB7OUR

RXDAVE,

I would love to see pics of the upper door deadbolt. We tried to have the factory add this to our '03 3023 but they said an upper lock would have clearance issues. Tell us more, please.

Wade