TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 AM   #1
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Default Communicactions

Ok, while waiting for the weather to warm up enough to install solar, batteries, and other upgrades, I'm planning my next upgrades. Planning on adding two communications upgrades: a Wifi Repeater, and a GMRS repeater .The Kit I purchased ( an Alfa kit off Ebay) has an antenna that could mount on top of the the TV mast, while my GMRS repeater has an antenna that likley won't.

Now, I know that a HAM ticket would be more versitile and less expensive, but my family is so busy, it makes more sense right now to to go the GMRS route, pay for the licence and setup a repeater. Yes, I know that not all radios are GMRS capable, and bought walkies that are (MS350R).

All of that said, I'm trying to figure out the best mounting points for antennas, and best routing for cables into the cabin. I like that antenna mast mounting for the Wifi antenna, though the best way to bring that into the cabin would be to drill a new hole. UGH!

I like the PVC pipe mount solution that some have tried, but it seems a little awkward.

So here's my question:

Assume that I do want to add a feedthrough to my roof for permanant installation of one or both antennas. What's the best way to do this? Surely there some combination of gromments, feedthroughs and DiCor that will accomlsh the purpose?

(And I know... don't call you "Surely" ).

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The issue for you sounds like getting from the forward or rear module to the center module. OTOH it might be easirer to put the base station one of the compartments above the front window on an SL. You have a 12vdc supply there also (street side compartment).

For exterior wiring I use wiring channels from Home Depot or Lowes.

Have a repeater to get from house to TM enclave in back yard but use a MiFi hub on the road.

Why do you need GMRS and not say FRS ? Need a range in miles ?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Yes, I saw the wiring channel idea, and am going to use it for my solar setup (once it warms enough to apply the VHB tape!)

I'm using GMRS, because experience shows that in the field FRS falls short, particularly with my son that likes to explore in and around the campground. With the GMRS radios and no repeater, I was good for about 0.6 mi within Peninsula State Park, just barely enough to get from the camper to the lakefront.

The repeater is experimental. I'm hoping that by raising the antenna, and the power I can ge a mile or three. This gives my son, a young teen, a tether back to camp while riding bicycle.

Now, I was thinking that in the short term, I'd temporarily mount them at the side, then bring the cable in street side.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We use a pair of Kenwood hand helds that I reprogrammed for the FRS/GRMS channels.When we hosted in 2012 we could reach anywhere between two CG's about a mile apart without a repeater. Price off ebay wasn't bad, and the longer physical antenna helped with reception. Down side is you can't use anything newer then a 386 machine running DOS. Also batteries are a little pricey. Didn't see a need for a repeater. For the wifi antenna a lot of people mount to the batwing mast.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
daveinfl

I'm just curious Mr. Funny_puns. Why wouldn't you consider a CB radio for what you are trying to do. You can still get them pretty cheap and with a relatively simple antenna you could talk to your son for quite a long way. Back in my younger days I was a big CBer with base stations, mobile units and walkie talkies. A one watt walkie talking would do a pretty darn good job. Just curious.
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Well, portable cbs are limited by their antennas, though the 10m band does a bit better through the forest. They can't tie to repeaters at all, so their practical range is limited to less than a mile. There's no digital squelch, and they tend to be rather large. I did consider them.

The gmrs radioss I'm using are waterproof and small and darn near indestructible.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 05-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
ChefLamont

If your son is a teen, have him get his tech ticket also and just get a couple of 2m HTs and go simplex. No repeater or wiring or whatever needed. That sould cover all but the largest campgrounds.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

HAM ticket is in our future. There's a BSA merit badge for it!

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL