TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
indhci

Default Adding AC to side of TM

Has anyone had any experience adding an AC unit on the side to a TM that has never had AC. I have a 1988 3023 that I would like to add AC. From looking at photos of the side AC unit it appears that TM just uses a standard window air conditioner with a "pass through" to the outside. I presume there is a drain hose to the outside and obviously there needs to be an electric connection. My biggest concern is damaging the unit by cutting through structural framing. Any information/experience in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Adding AC to side of TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indhci
Has anyone had any experience adding an AC unit on the side to a TM that has never had AC. I have a 1988 3023 that I would like to add AC. From looking at photos of the side AC unit it appears that TM just uses a standard window air conditioner with a pass through to the outside. I presume there is a drain hose to the outside and obviously there needs to be an electric connection. My biggest concern is damaging the unit by cutting through structural framing. Any information/experience in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.
I had my TM dealer do just that to my TM about 10 days ago. I've been resisting having AC installed because I hadn't needed it and didn't want the weight. I didn't take the factory roof AC option on mine because it made the trailer too tall to get under my garage door. But I foresee needing it for enroute stops this summer. So now I've finally joined the ranks of air conditioned TM owners. Mine (a nice 10,000 BTU Kenmore unit) even came with a remote control.

Yes, a commercial window unit is used...though it has to be the right dimensions...not too wide, not too long (but also not too short), and not too high. And yes, a drain has to be constructed for the condensate as well as some ducting on the back side to separate the hot from cool air. Also a properly sized and shaped grill has to be obtained. In all likelihood, if factory air was available on TMs of the same vintage as yours, then there's an electrical plug under the counter to make the hookup easy (my '02 was the last year the factory put this plug under the counter). As for cutting through the outerwall, you will need to have extremely careful measurements to make sure the hole matches up with the cabinet inside.

Because of all the above considerations and concerns, I felt it was far easier to have my TM dealer do this as they had templates for the cutting and experience with all the installation issues. And since my TM dealer is only about 35 minutes away, it was quite convenient as well.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
efelker

Ray:

Say it ain't so -- you've gone over to the dark (but comfortably cooled) side of the force! Next thing we'll see from you are hot dog recipes in the cooking threads.

... stay cool my friend.

Ed
Old 03-05-2004, 03:26 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by efelker
Ray:

Say it ain't so -- you've gone over to the dark (but comfortably cooled) side of the force!
Yes it is true, I cannot tell a lie...I have become a comfort seeker. *hangs head in shame*
I realized that to get to central northern Canada in August, I will have to cross regions of the US where the nights are not cool and dry like here in Colorado. Canada will be fine but hot, humid and miserable is the situation in between here and there. Daytime I can remain cool in my truck cab but w/out AC in the TM there'd not be much restful sleep. And a lack of restful sleep for several days in a row makes moi a not-at-his-best driver. So I gave up my very best cupboard for this A/C unit. sniff. sniff.
Quote:
Next thing we'll see from you are hot dog recipes in the cooking threads.
Eeeeeeek. No. Never.
Quote:
... stay cool my friend.
That I am trying to do.

Man, I must be really getting soft these days...last fall when I had the furnace in my house replaced I even went ahead and had a central AC installed with it. There are only about 20 days each year here where AC is really desirous so I had never felt an overwhelming need for it in the previous 20 years I've owned my house. But since I was getting the furnace done anyway, in a moment of wild abandon I said why not really splurge and get AC.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
Chris_Bauer

Regarding A/C roof versus side installation, I prefered the side air in my 2720SL over the roof air on my 3326. It cooled beautifully and without all that darn noise. Where could I fit one on my 3326 8).
Old 03-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
hal

The AC in our first TM wa located in the cabinet near the stove. As far as we were concerned, it was practically useless. We added clip on fans to direct the air toward the ends of the trailer. The fans made little difference. I know of to other ownes r with the ac installed in this spot and there have been times I was concerned they both would have a heat stroke. It was stiffling in their trailer. Their faces were an unhealthy red. I think that a normal fan stirring up the air does as much or even more good. I would recommend that instead of installing your ac in this location, just carry an ac unit with you like most of us carry a microwave. Then set it up and direct it where it will do the most good. The location on new TMs (on the roof) is so effective it will run you out. We stayed in Las Vegas when the temperature was 114° at night. We were quilte comfortable and had it running all night.

Hal :P
Old 03-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I would recommend that instead of installing your ac in this location, just carry an ac unit with you like most of us carry a microwave. Then set it up and direct it where it will do the most good.
While I like the idea, I'm not clear on where you would set up a portable air conditioner, since the back of the unit has to be vented outside. The only place would appear to be on the floor in the doorway, with the lower half of the door open. While it would work, it would be kind of in the way. With some effort, I guess it could be mounted against one of the louvered windows on one end, with some temporary (cardboard?) ducting to ensure that the hot air is exhausted outside.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
friscomike

I have just purchased a 2000 2619 with side air and it hasn't been delivered yet. I was initially happy with the side air, since it is apparently quieter and won't catch air like a roof a/c does. But what's the deal? Does the side air cool well or not? My wife is already skittish about camping. If I can't get it very cool in the TM, I am going to have a problem.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #9
Windbreaker

If you are camping in Texas you might have a problem in the summer. Camp it April, May or Sept. Oct. In Texas. Take her high or north in the summer. Use what you have to its advantages. Next thing you know she will be wanting to go full timing. ;D
Old 08-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
EPICSDUDE

I have side A/C on my TM. It works pretty well, except on really hot summer days that we have in South Mississippi. The combination of heat and humidity really makes it work hard. I use a fan to blow the cool air upward toward the bed and this seems to help. Camping in fall and spring will be much more pleasurable this far south.

Always try to find a camp site with some shade, esp. mid day and early afternnon shade.

Rocky