TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengiesige View Post
that sounds like a good idea do you think the trailer valet 5X
would work on my TM 2720 SD with a swing away hitch
------------Ken
__________________________________________________ _____________-
Ken, We don't have a swing away hitch so I can't comment on that and the mounting.
However, on level ground (pavement), it is a piece of cake bringing your TM to the hitch ball (the edge of the anterior portion of the hitch ball so that it slides on and fully down for the coupler lock) and cranking it the remainder of the way into the covered storage, once the TM tires are on level concrete.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #22
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
__________________________________________________ _____________-
Ken, We don't have a swing away hitch so I can't comment on that and the mounting.
However, on level ground (pavement), it is a piece of cake bringing your TM to the hitch ball (the edge of the anterior portion of the hitch ball so that it slides on and fully down for the coupler lock) and cranking it the remainder of the way into the covered storage, once the TM tires are on level concrete.
People interest in mounting the original TV on the TM may wish to see this thread.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ighlight=Valet

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #23
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Well, the TV XL was a bust. Hooked it up and it working well, then it shifted. Even held in place by the fancy retaining nut, it moved. It's easy to see what happened. The ball was tightened up against the hitch, and it torqued the front lip, bending it upward.

I DO NOT recommend this tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	12628  

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #24
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
Well, the TV XL was a bust. Hooked it up and it working well, then it shifted. Even held in place by the fancy retaining nut, it moved. It's easy to see what happened. The ball was tightened up against the hitch, and it torqued the front lip, bending it upward.

I DO NOT recommend this tool.
The TM tongue weight is considerable and placing just enough weight (by adjusting the tongue jack height) on the Trailer Valet (original frame mounted) for solid traction on pavement without completely flattening the tires seems like a constant process, even for some short distances during turning.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:53 AM   #25
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Now the question is: did I damage the hitch? Is it safe to use?

How do I answer these questions? Any ideas?

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 12-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Suspect the issue is that a TM carries a lot of weight on the tongue for its size. over 450 lbs for my 2720SL even with the batteries in the back.

Still been too busy to try the NT crank mover but have learned it is best to mount the tongue as low as possible to minimise lateral stresses.

Well you could hitch it up and if everything looks OK then raise the tongue with a floor jack. If the back wheels of the TV come off the ground it may be OK.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #27
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

The XL is supposed to be rated for 10k lb and 1k toungue weight. I think the issue is that trailer valet relied on the hitch having sufficient steel to support the torque applied by the locking nut while maneuvering the trailer. looking at it now, it seems that there's a lot of torque applied to the front lip while moving forward.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #28
Padgett
TrailManor Master

So maybe a piece of 1/4" steel plate about 4" on a side and with a 2" hole in the middle ?

I was a little surprised that with all that tongue weight it uses a 2" ball but is rated to 8,000 lbs.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #29
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Yes, I was thinking along those lines as well. This would transfer the torque to the stronger part of the hitch.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #30
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Ok fit to talk to the TV people today, and had a very good conversation. Shared my thoughts with them. They tell me they are investigating, and that there have been a few other instances of problems keeping the coupler tight. We shall see; but at least the call was pleasant and very open. Much better than talking to a computer or a tech services person operating on a script.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL