TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Default Trailer Valet XL

Having just purchased a 2720SL from another member in the forum, we are now working on the problem of getting it into the garage before the snow comes. My garage is large enough, however my driveway has a double bend that makes it very difficult to back in while attached to our expedition.

I tried pushing it, but was concerned for the safety of the building, the trailer, and the pushing helpers. So,started looking at trailer dollys to help. Now the trailer valet has been around for a while, but there's not enough room on the TM hitch to mount it.

Now it seems that travel valet has launched a new unit that connects to the trailer hitch. No mount required. The call it the TrailerValet XL, and my be just the ticket. So we're going to spend a bit of money to experiment.

https://www.trailervalet.com
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Be interesting to hear what it is like. My major concern is balance. I have tried a two wheel dolly and it required constant pressure to balance the trailer on the ball. Possibly that screw that raises into the ball will help.

For a drive/drill adapter I use this and this .

I can see that this one would be handy for multiple trailers and should be able able to turn over 180 degrees (frame mount is limited in some turns) but am concerned about the rigidity, ability on dirt/sandy soil, and how to carry it.

Please let us know how it works
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
stormpeakco

Default my $0.02 with Trailer Valet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
Having just purchased a 2720SL from another member in the forum, we are now working on the problem of getting it into the garage before the snow comes. My garage is large enough, however my driveway has a double bend that makes it very difficult to back in while attached to our expedition.

I tried pushing it, but was concerned for the safety of the building, the trailer, and the pushing helpers. So,started looking at trailer dollys to help. Now the trailer valet has been around for a while, but there's not enough room on the TM hitch to mount it.

Now it seems that travel valet has launched a new unit that connects to the trailer hitch. No mount required. The call it the TrailerValet XL, and my be just the ticket. So we're going to spend a bit of money to experiment.

https://www.trailervalet.com
__________________________________________________ ___
Congratulations...everyone seems to have unique issues with off-season and/or between trip on-season storage.

We have a "removable" trailer valet unit (bracket is permanently bolted to the left side of the frame behind the batteries, '15 2720QB) for at home, in between trip, on season for the paved, narrow and angle driveway.

We use a Dutton-Lainson Worm Gear Hand Winch with Hex Drive - 2,000 lbs, 50' steel cable, set up in the 2" rear frame bike rack-receiver (TM), 1/2" anchor bolt into the concrete and can safely winch it or out without much difficulty using a variable speed 18V Makita cordless hammer drill for our off-site, off season covered storage with ~1% uphill grade & a 90 degree approach...but getting it inside the covered storage unit it is best having 4 eyeballs since (awning) there is only 3" to spare on each side.

For short distances (unless there have been design revisions with the new XL) on paved turf with minimal incline at home, the valet works OK but you'll find one's body position for cranking with one arm and actively releasing the trailer valet brake arm while bent over is far from being ergonomically ideal (likely worse for taller individuals or those with significant back issues). The valet is not heavy duty and with any bump or dip in the asphalt one needs to re-adjust the height of the tongue jack to maintain the ideal amount of valet tire pressure/traction (moisture, leaves, needles, sand and dog toys can be an issue). Between use stowability, portability and removability (one hex bolt with 1/2" drive socket with extension) for the trailer valet is easy.

After some experience in both settings I find it (planning and performing) kind of fun.
Best of luck.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I would consider a front hitch on the tow vehicle. It doesn't have to be an ugly monster, since it will never be used for towing, but simply to maneuver the trailer into the garage.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

thought about the front hitch, but the double turns are tight, and very awkward. I can back the trailer in until it's close to the garage entrance, but it's at the wrong angle. Since there's no grade, the tool should be just right to pivot the trailer 180 degrees and ease it in.

The XL also features a drill adaptor now. No more cranking! At least in theory. Will keep everyone posted.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Be interesting to hear what it is like. My major concern is balance. I have tried a two wheel dolly and it required constant pressure to balance the trailer on the ball. Possibly that screw that raises into the ball will help.

For a drive/drill adapter I use this and this .

I can see that this one would be handy for multiple trailers and should be able able to turn over 180 degrees (frame mount is limited in some turns) but am concerned about the rigidity, ability on dirt/sandy soil, and how to carry it.

Please let us know how it works
There's some sort of locking mechanism to keep it rigid. A nut that turns up from the bottom.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Trailer Valet review with photos

I reviewed the Trailer Valet on my RV blog.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #8
ArkyDoodle

I have the trailer Valet (5X) and have used it extensively. As others have said it's very helpful but for me (since I'm taller with a bad back) it is difficult to use and you have to bend over while holding up the brake release / steering handle and walking backwards....And the cranking takes a lot to get it to move even a short distance (assuming the tires are properly inflated to 85# and the terrain is cooperative) but the drill adapter may help with that --- but you're still in an uncomfortable, bent over position the whole time while you're cranking and struggling with the steering wand.....As I said, I've used it often (and would in the future if I had to) but for me it's not a pleasurable experience (especially the following morning).

I also have the front hitch on my vehicle which could be a help for some but not in my situation (too many tight turns with a very short, narrow, weird driveway)

Sooooo for me the answer was the Enduro Purpleline that others' have recommended on this forum. It ain't cheap (about $750, I think) but it's BY FAR, the best thing I've done since buying this unit!! You simply engage the unit and drive it where ever you want by pressing buttons on the handheld remote control.....And you can make very precise turns without breaking a sweat.....I'd do it again in a NY minute....HIGHLY recommend this addition!!

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
I have the trailer Valet (5X) and have used it extensively. As others have said it's very helpful but for me (since I'm taller with a bad back) it is difficult to use and you have to bend over while holding up the brake release / steering handle and walking backwards....And the cranking takes a lot to get it to move even a short distance (assuming the tires are properly inflated to 85# and the terrain is cooperative) but the drill adapter may help with that --- but you're still in an uncomfortable, bent over position the whole time while you're cranking and struggling with the steering wand.....As I said, I've used it often (and would in the future if I had to) but for me it's not a pleasurable experience (especially the following morning).

I also have the front hitch on my vehicle which could be a help for some but not in my situation (too many tight turns with a very short, narrow, weird driveway)

Sooooo for me the answer was the Enduro Purpleline that others' have recommended on this forum. It ain't cheap (about $750, I think) but it's BY FAR, the best thing I've done since buying this unit!! You simply engage the unit and drive it where ever you want by pressing buttons on the handheld remote control.....And you can make very precise turns without breaking a sweat.....I'd do it again in a NY minute....HIGHLY recommend this addition!!
Looked at this, and it's not much more than the TV XL, and I must admit supremely cool in a geeky tech toy kind of way. Like the ultimate RC toy car! But 40 kg ( 81 lb) is a lot of weight. I might feel differently in ten years, but I'll stick with my initial experiment.

BTW finally did get the trailer in. And decided I'm right about needing a bit of mechanical advantage.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Looked at both a front hitch (only rated for 350 lbs) and a Lawn Tractor attachment $1,000+ since I do not have a lawn tractor.)

Had a $50 off coupon so bought a Travel Jack but have not gotten around to trying it out yet. Having been dealing with a lot of personal issues relating to retirement. Do think that many of the complints stemmed from users not understanding force vectors.