TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
moaboy

An earlier post noted TM and casitas buyers tend to be those who can not afford a traditional trailer. Fact is, TM and perhaps Caditas are more expensive than traditional trailers. For a variety of understandable reasons. TM even acknowledges that in their advertising.
Casitas are nice little trailers, but don't offer near the space TMs do. Not too mention lower towing rofile and easier storage.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Dchisenh

Moaboy is right, neither TMs nor Casitas are cheap, especially when they're new!

But, considering most folks can't tow with their current vehicles and would need to buy a bigger truck to tow a conventional trailer or 5th wheel, a used TM or Casita can come out cheaper than that combined purchase in the long run.

It always comes down to your actual situation though, if you're patient and do your homework, I'm sure you'll find a good deal you can be happy with!

-Dan

2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
w/tow package, Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and
Pro Series RB3 Weight Distribution System
Round Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 750 lbs TW
Dchisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
ATHiker

Thanks. I plan to tow with a V6 4X4 Tacoma. If I will go with a TM, it will be used one, probably a 2720SL. If I go with a Casita, not sure if used or new. As you indicated, neither the TM or Casita are inexpensive.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I just spent 4 nights in a Casita with my wife -- it was a 17' Spirit Deluxe. They are great campers. A few differences I immediately noticed:
  • They are WAY better at maintaining the internal air temp (via the heat or AC) than Trailmanors. It was 90 degrees out with high humidity, and the AC made the camper feel like an icebox on the Low Cool setting. Plus, it's a smaller AC than on TM's, as it only draws about 8.5 amps, and thus can easily be run on 1 Honda 2000 watt genny (we did that). Conversely, we've stayed in it during the middle of winter, and the AC heater strip can keep the trailer comfortable (in the 60s) when it is 25 degrees outside. That's without running the propane furnace.
  • The build quality is better than on TMs. You won't find the water heater toe-screwed in, and sloppily at that, for example. Whereas the TM is a better example of fine engineering, the Casita is a better example of manufacturing skill, careful assembly, and intensive QA.
  • Casitas hold their value much better than TMs. New, they run about $18k. The one we stayed in was a 2003, and it was just acquired for $11k, and there were people in line to get it 24 hrs after it was posted for sale. 10-year old TMs, which sell for $25-$30k, don't sell for that.
  • Size: this is where TM's come out way ahead. If there is more than 1 of you in the Casita, someone will have to go outside if you want to change your mind. The bathroom is also considerably smaller, but still has a shower and toilet. I think it would be fairly comfortable with 2 people, and MAYBE 2 people plus a small child, especially during fair weather days when you are using the trailer mostly for sleeping (which is what you should be doing, IMHO). But the TM, especially the SL models, basically has a living room, and far more space.

Everything is a compromise......

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
ATHiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I just spent 4 nights in a Casita with my wife -- it was a 17' Spirit Deluxe. They are great campers. A few differences I immediately noticed:
  • They are WAY better at maintaining the internal air temp (via the heat or AC) than Trailmanors. It was 90 degrees out with high humidity, and the AC made the camper feel like an icebox on the Low Cool setting. Plus, it's a smaller AC than on TM's, as it only draws about 8.5 amps, and thus can easily be run on 1 Honda 2000 watt genny (we did that). Conversely, we've stayed in it during the middle of winter, and the AC heater strip can keep the trailer comfortable (in the 60s) when it is 25 degrees outside. That's without running the propane furnace.
  • The build quality is better than on TMs. You won't find the water heater toe-screwed in, and sloppily at that, for example. Whereas the TM is a better example of fine engineering, the Casita is a better example of manufacturing skill, careful assembly, and intensive QA.
  • Casitas hold their value much better than TMs. New, they run about $18k. The one we stayed in was a 2003, and it was just acquired for $11k, and there were people in line to get it 24 hrs after it was posted for sale. 10-year old TMs, which sell for $25-$30k, don't sell for that.
  • Size: this is where TM's come out way ahead. If there is more than 1 of you in the Casita, someone will have to go outside if you want to change your mind. The bathroom is also considerably smaller, but still has a shower and toilet. I think it would be fairly comfortable with 2 people, and MAYBE 2 people plus a small child, especially during fair weather days when you are using the trailer mostly for sleeping (which is what you should be doing, IMHO). But the TM, especially the SL models, basically has a living room, and far more space.

Everything is a compromise......

Dave
Thanks for your feedback. This first hand comparison is exactly what I was looking for. I'm still waffling, one day its the TM, the next day its the Casita. Fortunately, I don't think I can make a bad decision.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If I:
  • went inside for the evening as soon as it got dark
  • was going to regularly have more than 2 adults spending the night
  • need to store the camper in my garage
  • am taller than 6'3"
...then I think would get the TM.

If I:
  • planned on camping in the winter regularly where I would be in temps regularly below freezing
  • like to cook outside
  • want a larger refrigerator
  • have a marginal tow vehicle
  • don't need the luxury of a lounge chair or sofa (i.e. see above about being outside)
...then I think I would get a Casita.

Note also that Casita sells "Standard" (vs. Deluxe) models that do not have a bathroom. They are hard to find, but they have bunk beds or a sofa in its place, which would give you a fair amount more room.

As you said, they are both fine campers. I'd be thrilled to have either one.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
moaboy

Used pricing varies so much by region and condition of units. I've seen used TM that are in excellent condition hold a significant amount of their value even at 10 years although it gets harder to find one that has been well taked care of. I would suggest the inherent design of both units have pluses and minuses as this discussion has pointed out. With TM one sacrifices long term unit integrity while the Casita sacrifices space. Life is full of tradeoffs...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Shrimp Burrito's plus and minus list are very much like ours when we were deciding. I guess fitting in the garage was the clincher for us.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
ATHiker

I don't have a garage, but I do have a somewhat limited tow vehicle (Toyota Tacoma). When I purchased the Tacoma, I considered larger trucks (F150 / Tundra) and decided that I did not want to drive a large truck as my daily driver, so whatever I buy the Tacoma will have to be sufficient.

Normal days, I think the Casita would be sufficient space, however as we know, there are days best spent inside due to weather. As stated above, I think this is where the TM has the clear advantage.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
foxhaven0

Default claustrophobia

Before we got our 3124ks we had an Aliner as our first ever camper. It had a king size bed, a shower/cassette toilet, stove and frig. When we got our stuff in it and us on a rainy day or night there was only room for one person to stand up at a time.

By comparison the TM is luxuriously spacious. If I had the money I would get a new one, I might look at the new 2417 or 2922 with a dinette but I really like the floor space inside you get with the slide-out. (If I were a single I might go with a Mini.) And it tows as well as the smaller camper did except for being a bit heavier.

The Casitas we looked at gave me the same claustrophobic feeling as the Aliner.