TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
clan_salmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPolo View Post
Bruce and Keith,
I have researched the Anderson "No-Sway" Weight distributing hitch and it looks interesting and a possible suitable "fix". Has anyone here used this hitch and what do you think of it?
Mark
Mark,

I have the Anderson WDH and so far I am generally pleased. We've pulled about 1000 miles with it.

The things I like:
Lighter wieght - total package is about 55 lbs. The shank and ball weigh 28 lbs. Much easier to manage. You'll be amazed how small the shipping box is.
No grease - The ball rotates with the TM.
Very well made - The finish on the aluminum block is just as good as the pictures. The tolerances are tight. Even when it looks like you could flip parts around, it won't fit.
Tight turns - you can turn as tight as you like. No bars or anti-sway devices to hinder you.

The things I like less:
Hitching up - since the ball rotates you have to hitch back up at roughly the same angle you unhitched you TV. Not a problem if you are straight in. If I am going to be at an angle, I drop the chains while I am still straight. Then I park.
Creaking - Not a big issue, but it's occasionally there. Caused by the chains rubbing the frame mount. 1/2 turn of the screw will usually take care of it. Much quieter than the my old WDH even when greased.

I don't think it's any faster to set up than my old WDH.

If you want research, check out this thread on the Airstream forum.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

It now has over 2,000 posts. Real user reports start around #580. I haven't followed it for quite a while, but I see that some people are having issues. Keep in mind that their weights are way higher than anything you will achieve with a TM.

I have to agree with the earlier posts. Something sounds wrong. Before spending money on a hitch I would investigate the other issues first. Once as a test I towed my fully watered 3023 without the WDH. I took it down a familiar but very crooked mountain road and then ran it up to 60+mph on a highway. Absolutely no sway. I use the WDH to level the truck a bit just to keep my headlights out of people's faces.

Stan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting post! I just got back from an 1800 mile trip, 900 with the TM 2922. I had three incidents of "violent" sway on this trip. If the Ford F-150 did not have sway control I don't know what might have happened on the first one. No sudden movements, no hard stops, just passing and pulling back in the lane. There was however strong crosswinds. I never had that happen with the Coleman popups of the past. I really don't think I need a WDH with this pick-up and it's heavy duty tow package, but I sure am in the market for an anti-sway device. The Ford pulled like a dream, almost no effort going over 9 mountain passes and got 13mpg while towing, but I won't feel safe until I understand the sway and get it under control. Any suggestions for anti-sway greatly appreciated.
Mark
I think I understand your sway problem. From the TM website: "The TrailManor 2922 Series fits an important place in our product line—three new trailers that offer the same highly popular floorplans of our 2720 models—but with a KING sized bed."

TM added two feet to the back of an existing model and did not move the axle back or add two feet to the front to compensate. You can see this in the model specific pictures on the website. The axle can not be relocated to the rear because the driver side wheel would then be under the commode. So now there is 2 additional feet of trailer weight and 38 cu. ft. of additional storage space behind the axle. It would be very easy to load this model in a way that would induce sway.

Bottom line: Use sway control with this model

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

I agree with the analysis posted by mjlaupp that improper weight distribution is the likely cause of sway in any model TM. The entire line of TM's have been and still are largely sway free except under very unusual conditions. I have experienced violent sway with an improperly loaded Coleman Niagra tent trailer but absolutely none with our 3326K.

Early into my TM purchase in 2009 I decided to add a layer of extra safety by purchasing a Hensley Cub hitch and, of course have had rock solid towing and tracking ever since. The added cost of that hitch system (nearly $2,000) has been well worth it.

Attached are some photos and a bit map of our hitch installation.

Hensley details at <www.hensleymfg.com>

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HenslyCub1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	8641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iphone091712 088.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	8650  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Hitch.bmp (410.7 KB, 44 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
brulaz

Quote:
I do have the max tow package which does have heavier shocks and springs and I do have the LT tires.
I too have the MaxTow but AFAIK it does not come with the heavier shocks and springs. That only comes with the HD Payload package, along with a heavier rear axle and 7 lug wheels (and increased GVWR and GAWR). If you have 6 lug wheels, you don't have the HD Payload package. But it's good you have the LT tires.

EDIT: but yes, it sounds like you've got too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Not enough on the tongue.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post

TM added two feet to the back of an existing model and did not move the axle back or add two feet to the front to compensate. You can see this in the model specific pictures on the website. The axle can not be relocated to the rear because the driver side wheel would then be under the commode. So now there is 2 additional feet of trailer weight and 38 cu. ft. of additional storage space behind the axle. It would be very easy to load this model in a way that would induce sway.

Bottom line: Use sway control with this model
I am looking at this model to purchase next year. As long as you don't fill up that rear compartment with heavy stuff, do you think this would alleviate much of the sway issues?

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb as to the best place to distribute the weight? Over the axle, front vs back, left vs right side or center of the trailer?

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
davlin
TrailManor Master

This is an interesting thread, which seems to have diverged into two separate categories.

1. Trailer sways during "normal" operations.

2. Emergency situations where the driver has had to make a sudden, rather violent maneuver, usually accompanied by severe braking.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
I am looking at this model to purchase next year. As long as you don't fill up that rear compartment with heavy stuff, do you think this would alleviate much of the sway issues?

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb as to the best place to distribute the weight? Over the axle, front vs back, left vs right side or center of the trailer?
The more weight on the tongue, the better for sway control. But you don't want to over-load your TV or its hitch.

Left vs right is tricky, as it's pretty hard to judge. Ideally, left and right tires would have equal weights.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Bruce, when I was "building" my F-150, I seem to remember someone on the F-150 forum I was on saying that if you had off road and max tow, the shocks and perhaps springs are heavier. Can't seem to find the reference, but that's where I got that idea.
Sara, I very much like the 2922. I suspect there are some peculiarities to my set up and loading that contribute to this, but the 2 foot extension might be significant. And I have had the 2 1/2 inch lift kit added, not sure if this contributes to sway either. At any rate I will be carefully watching for this weekend when we go out for a short trip with my father-in-law. I have moved some weight from the back forward and maybe that's all it will take. However, if this occurs again, I'm heading right for the Anderson "no-sway" hitch. As Dave states, if this happens with normal driving, I don't want to find out what emergency maneuvers create!
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #29
brulaz

Quote:
Bruce, when I was "building" my F-150, I seem to remember someone on the F-150 forum I was on saying that if you had off road and max tow, the shocks and perhaps springs are heavier. Can't seem to find the reference, but that's where I got that idea.
Oops, sorry Mark, I missed your Off Road option. That would probably stiffen the suspension, maybe the same parts as the HD Payload without the HD axle.

Sounds like you are good to go with the suspension and tires then. It's gotta be the tongue weight .