TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
MisterP

Those who tow or intend to should read the tow rating descriptions on the Reese site at http://www.reese-hitches.com/learnin...towing-classes.

The most important words they use are "up to" for load capacity. Any class hitch can be load rated at LESS than design capacity due to vehicle frame design or axle capacity. I had a Ford F350 DRW with a class 4 hitch, but it was labeled at less than published class 4 limits by Ford, for reasons I never investigated. With a weight distributing hitch, it had a capacity well above what I needed to tow a 3326.

Also, there are weight carrying receivers, and there are weight distributing capable receivers. Frame design or mounting point strengths for a particular vehicle may make a specific receiver unusable for weight distribution, since the stress points are quite different when you load up a WDH.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default I know what might have happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiPedaler View Post
the cross wind across OK and the Panhandle was unbelievable. Once while the wife was at the wheel we began to fishtail and without the extra power of the "8" to pull us out of it when I told her to "step on it" who knows what might have happened.
Norman
First, I'm really surprised that you experienced fishtail. Has anybody else had this with a TM? I've been through some brutal side winds and never felt anything, I have WDH with built-in anti-sway, did you?

Second, I do know "what might have happened". After I found out, I bought a Class C motorhome, then my current TM.

We were all OK, but I'll never feel safe towing a full upright without a Kenworth for a TV!

wayne

EDIT: I'M SO INTERESTED IN FUJI'S SWAY THAT I STARTED A SEPARATE THREAD TO ANSWER MY QUESTION
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14208
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailercrash.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	8603  

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
salmartinez

wow! thanks for all the good replies. So I'm looking at this 3326 trying to decide if it's going to be the right thing for me to get. My brother is going halves with me and he drives the 4Runner V6. I have a Chevy Tahoe 5.3l V8. So the obvious dilemma is the 4Runner. Since this will be a mutual ownership I'm looking out for the best interest of both parties.

I believe the 4Runner V6 is right on the edge in terms of safety which should always be considered first.

This would be my first TT. Another concern I have is living in California I've read that some of the recreational camp sites cap the total length of an RV somewhere in the range of 24-28', so now I'm a little leery about that as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
MisterP

Well that's easy. Put him on your insurance and swap vehicles when he wants to use the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmartinez View Post
wow! thanks for all the good replies. So I'm looking at this 3326 trying to decide if it's going to be the right thing for me to get. My brother is going halves with me and he drives the 4Runner V6. I have a Chevy Tahoe 5.3l V8. So the obvious dilemma is the 4Runner. Since this will be a mutual ownership I'm looking out for the best interest of both parties.

I believe the 4Runner V6 is right on the edge in terms of safety which should always be considered first.

This would be my first TT. Another concern I have is living in California I've read that some of the recreational camp sites cap the total length of an RV somewhere in the range of 24-28', so now I'm a little leery about that as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmartinez View Post

Sounds like your brother will have to borrow your half of the TM and your Tahoe and when you make a reservation, tell them its a 26ft pop-up.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
salmartinez

so is that the trick? Tell them it's a 26' popup? How strict are these campsites? Are there rangers going around with measuring tapes or if it fits do they just leave you alone?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

most of the time, their checking to make sure a Class A MH or 5th wheel does not try and slip in to the campsites reserved for smaller set ups. This specific discussion was going this week on whether to call it like it is or fudge a little to get a good spot. I think its always better to be upfront with the "host". Online nowadays, the reservations group has no understanding or inclination to care. When you try to explain the difference in pop vs folding, they just ask how big is it? Your going to park it at the smaller length and then open it up. The front does not open beyond the tongue and the rear only overhangs 3ft or so.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
TravlinOn

I went through this decision process, ie TV engine vs Trailer weight a few years back with a purchase of a "box" trailer. My TV at that time had a small V8 but the weight of that trailer was on the borderline - but the salesman said it would do just fine.

Right. In one respect, the salesman was correct. You have probably seen the Ad in which a Toyota (I think) truck pulls a big airliner down the road? That's because all the weight of the airliner is matched by the road, ie the weight is straight down . All the force needed by the truck is just to overcome the friction of the tires - if the airline was a hovercraft, then all that would be needed would be a push of your little finger to push it along.

I incorrectly made my decision and bought the "box". I found that I could start out and pull the trailer on a level stretch up to 55mph without much trouble although it took a while to accomplish. But then, I found that I could not pass a vehicle, even at slower speeds, without a really long, gradual acceleration (if at all). Steep hills? Forget about it!

Just my experience. Love my TM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
salmartinez

thanks all for the good responses. After careful consideration I think I will continue looking for a 2720 as that seems to be my best overall option.