TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
moaboy

My hitch set up was similar in price when I first acquired my TM and first tv was 2000 Ody. Per other posts swing hitch is not an issue. And yes with Ody you definitely want a WDH. Sounds like this dealer is perhaps less than informed with light weight trailers like TM's. There are a number of hitches that will work. Mine was a Reese. Work with the dealer until he gets it right.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
hoppe1

Thanks for all the advice. The Trailmanor dealer (Snyder's RV in Salem VA) ended up supplying the WDH (Equalizer with 600 lb tongue weight rating) for $750 + tax (I'm sure that I overpaid). They didn't have a "hitch guy" to install it, so I had to tow the 2720SL to a hitch place (Anchor in Salem VA) without using the WDH and have it installed there. They charged me another $240 to install (I'm sure I overpaid again). To be fair to Anchor, it did take them 3 hours to install in the rain. So whether I really needed an Equalizer, I have one now. It seems to work well, but it makes a lot of noise when turning in slow traffic. I towed the trailer from VA to NJ with my Odyssey with no issues, so I guess I'm happy if I can just forget about the cost.
hoppe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppe1 View Post
. So whether I really needed an Equalizer, I have one now. It seems to work well, but it makes a lot of noise when turning in slow traffic. .
Yes, you really needed one and you can now tow care-free!

From the Equalizer Owners Manual (which I hope they gave you?):

Noise:
Noise is a normal occurance when towing a trailer and using any weight
distribution or sway control hitch.
In some cases the friction on the L-brackets or sockets also generates
noise. This most commonly occurs during slow, tight turns where the tow
vehicle and trailer are in a twist. This noise is normal and should be expected. It is an indication that there is friction on the L-bracket and sockets.
Most of the noise will usually subside after a few uses as the hitch breaks in.
Trailer and tow vehicle loading may also influence hitch noise.
Lubricating the socket joint may help reduce this noise, and is part of
the required regular maintenance routine. Lubricating the L-bracket joint is
optional. A better solution is a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Bracket
Jackets™. They quiet the ride without the mess of using a lubricant.

Since I've only bought used ones (Craigslist) I've never had any noise. I don't know what the "Bracket Jackets" are, but I'd just give it a few trips and see if the noise goes away.

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote