TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
PhreddieandJon
Site Sponsor

Question Lowering tailgate when TM is hooked up

We have a 2012 Ford F150 tow vehicle to tow our recently purchased 2010 TM 2027SL. The TM is equipped with electric tongue jack and swing hitch. When hooked up we can't lower the tailgate on the TV completely because it hits the electric tongue jack. We can only lower the tailgate to about 45 degrees. We think this is going to be very annoying when we are traveling and have to get into the TV.

We are new to this. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a different type of tongue jack (shorter), a longer hitch that goes into the receptacle, or can the frame and tongue hitch be modified?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phreddie and Jon
PhreddieandJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

we have run into same deal before,
if i use our wdh, i can open the tailgate, it is where it is ball is futher away from tv, if i just use a reg. ball and reciever i can't open the tailgate all of the way either, and we do not have the power lift,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
moaboy

You can get a different tv . . . just kidding. The electric jacks are not all the same dimensions but close. I don't think there is much you can do within reason.
You probably can adapt to it over time. Funny how something's bother us.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I'm using the standard crank jack for the hitch. When I load my motorcycle in my truck bed, it fits only with the tailgate down. Then, I'm having to remove the jack while towing due to the short distance between the jack and tailgate. Not enough room for a very sharp turn. I guess the electric model is thicker tube and the motor mechanism mounted at the top of the jack with the light feature is too close to your truck gate? I'm also assuming you have a tonneau cover?

The RV parts stores, Tractor Supply, truck accessory stores sell a receiver extension that will give you more distance from the truck. Do your research, cause it also lowers the tongue weight when you use an extension. The WDH may give you the necessary distance you need. It's a few inches longer receiver than a standard class III ball hitch. Again, check /practice your turning radius with the tailgate down.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We can if the tow vehicle an TM are perfectly straight in line. We have a 2004 Chevrolet.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Like hillbillyhotel this isn't a problem for us with the WDH; but is when using a standard hitch. You can get longer hitch inserts but with the high tongue weight of the TM there is to much chance the cure will be worse then the problem. I would suggest looking into a WDH.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
TravlinOn

I'm not clear on the necessity to lower the tailgate at this point unless you plan not to unhitch for an overnight stay, and need to access some essentials.

We have the electric hitch. We put only the necessaries for parking the TM at the very rear of the cargo bed: chocks, boards, tiles, hitch ball lock, shovel, grease, bug spray, emergency tire change stuff, etc.. These are accessible by opening the topper gate while we are still hitched to the TM.

If I HAVE to get farther into the cargo bed, and I have already placed the chocks, I just unhitch the TV, but still leave the plug in, move the truck a little farther forward, and open the tail gate. By leaving the plug in, the electric jack will continue to work and will be powered by your truck battery Works for me.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The TM should not have to be plugged into the 7 way plug for the electric jack to work. It should be connected to the TM battery.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

A WDH is always a good idea, except maybe where the trailer axle is already too close to max. A longer hitch or hitch extension always works against you because further distance from the hitch ball to the TV rear axle multiplies the front end unload/rear end overload from the trailer tongue weight.

Generally most of our tow vehicles, all but the heaviest and longest, will have rear axle weights near or exceeding their gross axle weight ratings without a WDH, and hitch extensions are usually bad ideas for heavy trailer tongue weights.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Rio Dan

One possible option is to swap out your stock tailgate for a fifth-wheel type where there is a notch in the top center area.