TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
T and C
TrailManor Master

Mr. A,

You said,
Quote:
It's astonishing that they can write parking tickets in commercial parking lots (private property-- What possible interest does the State have?). I never heard of that before.

Here in CA, the state does not collect parking ticket fees. Each city makes its own parking laws, writes tickets, and collect the fees. The reason is local $$$

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
PopBeavers

I am curious about the mpg for both Toyotas.

I have a Chevy 1500HD and a GMC 2500HD. Both get the same mileage as far as I can tell.

I can to up eastbound I80 over Donner summit and just leave it on cruise control. The GMC is better because it has 6 gears instead of 4.

On a good day running empty on the freeway I can get 16.5 mpg.

I get 13.5 in town running errands and driving to work.

I get between 9 and 11 towing the TM, depending on how stopped Friday night traffic is.

I am just very curious about the Toyota's (either one) fuel economy. Specifically I am think of Auburn to Norden on I80. Up hill for 57 miles climbing from 2,000 feet to 9,000 feet. For a fair comparison assume a steady speed of 55 mph.

How much gas is my GMC wasting compared to the Toyota.

My guess is that I may be able to do a better job of maintaining 55 mph, but I also think I am burning more gas. I just want a warm fuzzy feeling that some other truck isn't out there getting 20 mpg in a crew cab long bed truck.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
rumbleweed

This is an emotional and relative discussion so I will try to stick to a few facts.
My 2500HD large V8 full tow package and HD rear TV has a trans temp gauge. Towing on a hot day in moderate hills/mountains the trans temp is noticeably higher than when not towing. This is true for all TV's but not obvious as most only have a warning light that comes on when the danger level is reached. Heat kills auto transmissions. So the fact that you made it to your destination and back home does not mean you didn't shorten the life of your TV.
As stated here many times, towing with lighter duty TV's decreases fuel mileage. Increased fuel consumption means your engine/transmission is working harder, has increased wear and getting hotter all of which have an effect on the life of the components. My point is that just because you made it to your destination and back home doesn't mean that you didn't increase the possibility of not making it next trip.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
ragmopp

How much gas is my GMC wasting compared to the Toyota

PopBeavers....

Not much. Having a Tacoma AND living in the Sierras (until two years ago) I used the I80 corridor from Sacramento to Truckee many times. I routinely got 12 to 13 mpg going up that 'hill'. So as to saving money with a Tacoma on gas, well not much.
As to power pulling the trailer, I didn't experience ANY issues whatsoever. Now I have a manual transmission so that might, or might not, make a difference but cruising in 4th or 5th gear was simply no issue. Generally my speed was going 60 mph. So it IS possible if I went at a consistant 55 I might have gotten a mile per gallon better. Maybe.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #15
Bluegrass

Wayne- I get 11.5 to 12.5 mpg pulling my 3124kb with my 06 Tundra from Salt Lake to Grass Valley. Going over Donner Pass is just a small part of the trip so I've never checked mpg for just that portion but would guess its about 11 mpg on the Auburn - Norden stretch.

I get 17 mpg with normal freeway driving and 16 around town.

I'm sure that locking out overdrive accounts for a good chunk of the difference.

Keith
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Wayne- I get 11.5 to 12.5 mpg pulling my 3124kb with my 06 Tundra from Salt Lake to Grass Valley. Going over Donner Pass is just a small part of the trip so I've never checked mpg for just that portion but would guess its about 11 mpg on the Auburn - Norden stretch.

I'm sure that locking out overdrive accounts for a good chunk of the difference.

Keith
Thanks. Your numbers basically match my numbers.

What I do, assuming traffic is light, is just set the cruise control. The GMC has a more constant RPM than the Chevy because it has 2 extra gears.

When I bought the GMC I got a great deal. Less than 3k out the door. According to KBB it took 4 years for the value to drop below purchase price. I just could not pass that up.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post

Keith
I pulled my 3124KB with my Tundra V8 to Sedona last winter. Carried my 600lb motorcycle in the truck bed and all the gear necessary for two weeks camping. My avg. was 13.5 - 14mpg. We did highway speed the entire distance. My normal avg. mpg for highway without towing or payload is 19mpg. Highest elevation we encountered was 8k ft between Flagstaff and So.Rim Grand Canyon. My Gross Combined Weight was well over 9k lbs.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
T and C
TrailManor Master

Here is a post I wrote yesterday about recent gas mileage in my F-150.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13575

On a different trip last year I got 17 mpg towing my TM from San Jose, CA over the Donner pass to Reno. My truck weighs 5000 lbs and has a six speed trans.

What do the 3/4 ton HD trucks that you are discussing weigh? Perhaps that is one reason for the difference between your experience and mine.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Here is a post I wrote yesterday about recent gas mileage in my F-150.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=13575

On a different trip last year I got 17 mpg towing my TM from San Jose, CA over the Donner pass to Reno. My truck weighs 5000 lbs and has a six speed trans.

What do the 3/4 ton HD trucks that you are discussing weigh? Perhaps that is one reason for the difference between your experience and mine.

Tom
I weighed my 2500HD when it was empty. I believe the weight was 6350.

My 1500HD (not really a 3/4 ton, depending on who you ask) I have never weighed. I have the three axle weights for the 1500HD towing the TM, both loaded. I have published them here before but not recently. I think I still have the weights in the glove box.

My 2500HD versus 1500HD

2500 is

longer (18 inches)
heavier
taller
new body style so it pushes more air (I think)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
rumbleweed

My 2500 HD ( large V8) is heavier. I get about 15 MPG average. The TM has virtually no impact on this unless I tow in the mtns. Remember the 2500 HD has three engine options. A small V8, a large V8 and a V10 so this detail is also required.