TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Seamore43

Default Leaks or no leaks?

Hi, and first of all, thank you to all of you for your help through my search and questions. I found a TM 3023 that I love, but it is located a long way from my home. The salesman says that it is a "piece of junk" and stay away. It always leaks, leaks, leaks, and this one is no exception. How hard are leaks to fix? I know a lot of it is probably where the leak is located. Do most of you find that yours leaks after a while? I so want a TM, but am not much of a fix-it person. Thanks to everyone in advance for your honesty and opinions.

I have been on this website for a while now, and you guys and gals are great. I have never come across a more friendly and helpful bunch on one website. I can't wait to become a member of your "family".

Kristi
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
TM_Matt

The salesman is disparaging his own product? I don't know.

You know the test to see if a vehicle/rv salesman is lying. His lips are moving.

Yes, they leak. Mine had a leak around the vents. My last trailer had leaks. They develop leaks. The caulking is not permanent. It is said that RVs should be resealed once a year.

Dicor is excellent. It's self leveling - you can learn to do it yourself. I've had no probs since I resealed.

BTW, my leak was rather signficant when I found it, but due to the construction, there was literally NO damage compared to wood frame trailers out there.

If the trailer looks well maintained, don't listen to the guy. I'd question doing business with him though. It sounds like an excuse to hide a grander problem to me.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Let's see.... Its a long way from home and it leaks? Unless they were giving it to me for free, I would be patient and wait for another deal closer and no confirmed leakers. A large percentage of any RVs will leak at some point in their lifetime. The salesman may be steering you towards another RV but if he says its a piece of junk, I would believe only 1/2 of his description and thats more than the effort I would take on to repair.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
rumbleweed

Tough one to answer. If the leaks are due to caulking around roof items like AC or vents or due to the seams leaking, this can be fixed. The other question is how long/ much has it leaked. If it has been leaking for a year and nothing has done about it, there may be water in the foam/ aluminum sandwich or interior items may be damaged or moldy. Leaks are relative. A few drips will evaporate and other than some water stains on curtains not be a big deal. Puddles of standing water is a whole other thing. Maybe some pics, A year for the TM and what they are asking would help.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
clown9644

Kristi, I own a 2004 3023 and love it. It had a leak so I fixed it. If you buy the TM and join the club (see http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...faq_membership ) you will find tons of goof information on how to do it, believe it or not a credit card will end up being your favorite tool for this job, some mineral spirits and elbow grease. You really need to see the unit and use your nose. If you smell mold then it is an old leak and damage has been done, probably. Check the floor for sponginess as it can deteriorate as well from a leak. I would prefer no mold for starters.

When looking, I would suggest it has to have 15 inch tires and they should be less than 5 years old, there is a thread on how to do that too. This is my preference as a 15 inch tire has a heavier payload than the 14 inch. Many will not agree with that statement though. Make them operate everything and again smell for any leaks of gas. Does the fridge get cold in all three modes, if one doesn't, there are fixes for that as well.

You mention a long distance, how far away? Give us some good information including where you are, where the TM is, who the dealer is, etc. Also, how many do you expect to camp? A 3023 accommodates 6 sleepers, some of the other units are a little smaller but still very roomy. I was amazed at the space inside of a 2619 as well as the different floor plans (slide out or bed). Don't walk away from a deal because of the salesman, walk away only if it is not right for you.

Remember the salesman told you it was a piece of junk, well that sure sounds like a few thousand dollars off the asking price! Has he mentioned how much happier you would be in his model such and such?

By the way have you looked in the for sale area? Go to http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=10, if you can as a trial member. There are some nice units on there as well as links to dealers that sell used units.

Above all else, share information and we can help you along your way.

Good Hunting!
Dave
Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Scott O

"Piece of junk" just might describe much more than leaks...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Seamore43

Default Hi and thanks for the advice

Well I passed on that deal and took someones advice and looked at the TMs for sale on here where everyone loves TrIlmanors. My ki d of folks. I have loved there TMs for 10 years and am finally going to join the family. I found one...a 2000 3134 and it is a long way also. But the sellerbis one of you and I can not wait to get it!

Needs a little cosmetic work but with everyone.'s help should be fine. I'm excited to join the TM family.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Good luck. Please remember to join as membership privelages include valuable archival advice. Post your location so others in your region can offer local knowledge for TM.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
clown9644

Good for you!!! That is one roomy unit with all the stuff you will need. Good luck on your new adventures.

Dave