TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
rlkubi

Default Grand Caravan and Trailmanor 3124

We are considering the above TM. We have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. Would we be able to pull this camper? Basically we would only need to pull it a mile or two from the resort storage to a site. Would that be possible? Also I've heard recommendations to buy after 2003 models. Why is that?

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Drews60

Im not that much of an expert but will jump in. More experienced TMer's will chip in.

The older TM trailers, pre 2002, used wood in the construction of the roof and walls. It's subject to wood rot if the unit had leaks. The flaw in the design of many a camper. Nothing as much fun as having to replace a rotted floor or endure the smells of wood rot, or chasing down the origin of the leak.

My Airstreams eliminated most problems but still had wood floors. They could be damaged by water caused by plumbing leaks.

With the 2002, possibly the 2003, the wood was eliminated in TM's. I think it is just used in the upper door construction now.

Happy TM hunting.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkubi View Post
We are considering the above TM. We have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. Would we be able to pull this camper? Basically we would only need to pull it a mile or two from the resort storage to a site. Would that be possible? ...
For just a mile or two, once or twice a year? I would do it with a proper hitch.

Even if you empty out the van there may be some sag in the van's rear end, but just drive slow and easy.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Dave99gst

I would have no worries about using a minivan to pull that camper
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
rlkubi

I keep going back to what some people have said. 2003 and newer are better. Any comments on that?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
Drews60

Quote:
I keep going back to what some people have said. 2003 and newer are better. Any comments on that?

If your budget allows for a newer unit I'd go for it. The older, properly maintained units, are good buys too. Edit: I wouldn't exclude an older unit is good condition. Just keep it caulked and cared for.

Edit: One of the pluses of a TM is that it's low height when closed makes roof maintenance a lot easier.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
clown9644

The older TMs are built like most of the competition's new stuff, they used a lot of wood in the units, now they use aluminum other than the door. If they took good care of it, no evidence of rot (take some screws out on the exterior, rotted wood leaves a black residue on the screw. The good thing is that TM has not changed much over the years, they got it right from the git go, different floor plans for different folks but by and large they all have the same features. Just remember to keep the caulk in good condition and not allow leaks to get a start on you. All that said, of course the newer units have newer stuff and less likely to have problems.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
rlkubi

I'm in Missouri and the used Trailmanors are hard to find!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Bruce

We have a 2000 3124 KS that we purchased new in late 1999.
They do have wood frame members and they will rot. It is just a matter of time. I have repaired wood in both the front & rear upper sections.
I have also recaulked the entire roof seam when I noticed a leak over the bed.
You will usually first notice the wood rot when you go to pull up the upper section and the front or rear piece pulls away from the side.
Our TM has always been stored outside with the last few years being under a fabric cover. The 1st cover was an Adco which barely lasted 2 years and this year I purchased a Calmark Sunbrella custom cover.

When we lived in FL there was a member of our TrailBlazer's Dixie Chapter who towed his 3124 with a Caravan V6. He didn't report any significant problems with that setup but I would go with a rear wheel drive rig with a bit more power for any long distances.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Hi,

Some where along my readings here the 2005-2006 TM were the best built. I may be wrong on this one, and I can’t put my finger on the post. But I think those were good years.

Dave