TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #1

Default Trail Manor Evolution

It seems to me that the Trail Manor of today is completely different from the Trail Manor of a few years ago. I have had more than one dealer tell me that they started carrying Trail Manor recently because of all of the improvements. For example:

(1) rounded wheelwells
(2) air conditioner in middle of coach (quieter in sleeping area)
(3) larger hot water heater (6 gallon vs. 3 gallon)
(4) rounded rear bumper
(5) spare tire storage underneath rather than on rear bumper
(6) swing away tongue
(7) elimination of flimsy lamps
(8) more neutral interior colors (older models are pretty loud inside)
(9) more stout axles
(10) better quality tires
(11) apparently a tv stand in the rear sleeping area soon
(12) no structural wood in the upper portion of the coach
(13) dead bolt locks

This is a partial list, but my point is that the Trail Manor of today just seems totally superior to the Trail Manors of even two or three years ago. These factors lead me to believe that paying a premium for a new one may be preferable to purchasing an immaculate, but obsolete, older model.

I understand that the journey toward innovation is not yet complete. For example:

(1) how about a cover for the propane bottles

Overall, though, the 2004 models appear to be the result of a steep design improvement curve.

Any thoughts on this issue?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Trail Manor Evolution

Re: Any thoughts on all the changes.

Looks to me as if someone at TM has been quietly reading this forum for the last couple of years. Seems just about every change/improvement was made originally by someone who "also" frequented this board.

Nah, that's to easy. Must have been JD got tired of responding to "howcome you didn't...yada yada.....?

Denny :
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Windbreaker

It occurs to me that any multiparted product that does not evolve is doomed to live a very restricted life or to die. I offer the Chevy Vega, and VW bettle as non organic proof.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I'd add a couple more significant enhancements:
(14) Replacing "stabilizers" with genuine scissor jacks that can actually be used to level the trailer.
(15) Adding additional windows at the front of the trailer. The interior, even on a grey & cloudy day, is well illuminated by natural light.

As for some of the other changes, I'm not at all sure a couple were really improvements.

First, I for one don't at all like the new rear bumpers...mainly because they seem to prevent access to the sewer dump hose when the TM is closed up. As one of the 20% or so who don't use full hookup campgrounds (and therefore can't dump while the TM is still open), I greatly appreciate being able to pull the "stinky slinky" out of it's isolated storage in the bumper when I can find a dump station after packing up. Sure, being able to hook up AC power while closed (as before a trip) is nice, but there is multitude of ways to work around that challenge.

Second, I rather like those flimsy "elegant" lights. After two camping seasons (and travel over some pretty bumpy Forest Service roads to remote FS campgrounds), both of my TM's elegant lights are still working every time I turn them on...which is nearly every evening. Since I have a front couch in my 2720SL, the elegant lights add a softly lit "living room" touch to the front of my TM...perfect for a bit of end of evening reading or conversation with a glass of brandy or a fine port wine.

And finally, the move from side mounted to roof mounted AC is not a totally win-win solution. For many...like me...putting the AC on the roof means the trailer wouldn't fit through our garage doors. TM giveth and TM taketh...the foldaway hitch enabled storage of a 20 foot trailer in my 19 foot garage...the roof AC would have taken that away (particularly with the lift kit that's basically a necessity for primitive Forest Service campgrounds). So I was forced to pass on the AC option when I ordered my TM. Fortunately I almost always camp in cool to cold high altitude campgrounds, generally that don't have electrical hookups anyway, so not being able to have AC was not a biggie for me. And should I ever decide to camp in hotter, muggier locales, I always have the option of cutting a hole in the side of my TM and installing an AC in the cabinet...my 2002 has got the wiring in there for an AC unit.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #5

I looked at a 2004 2619 and 3023 at the RV Show in Dallas yesterday and the bumper storage for the sewer hose DOES open with the Trail Manor folded up. I opened it myself. It's not quite as easy as when it is open, but it definitely does open and you can get the sewer hose out when the trailer is folded up.

I thought of a couple of other items that would be improvements:

(1) standard screen door

(2) factory tinted windows (to prevent drapery fading if nothing else); apparently after market tinting is no easy task

(3) metal latch instead of plastic latch connecting top and bottom of door

(4) skylight over shower to provide a little extra headroom

(5) availability of a factory fitted cover for the Trail Manor. Even if stored inside, trailers get dusty and a cover is a good idea no matter where a trailer is being stored. If Trail Manor sold a heavy duty fitted fabric cover that had a locking cable underneath, I think they would sell a lot of them, given the relatively high price of Trail Manors. I always hate to see a Trail Manor that has obviously been sitting outside uncovered for several years. Not pretty.

(6) taking the ".com" off the Trail Manor logo on the rear window awning. It seems a little gratuitous. Minor, though.

With respect to the comment that products that do not evolve are doomed, I believe it is a matter of degrees. For example, my first RV was a 1983 25 foot Road Ranger fifth wheel. I purchased it in 1995. It had been cared for and was in excellent condition. Comparing the 1983 to newer models of conventional trailers and fifth wheels at the time, the only dramatic difference I noticed was that newer models were lighter. Other than that, I didn't think I was missing out by having an older trailer. With the Trail Manor, though, I look at models from the mid to late 1990's and it's amazing how much difference there is. So I agree with the comment that designs must evolve, but my original comment that Trail Manor has had a steep design improvement curve in recent years still stands, and I think that Trail Manor shoppers should be aware that a 2004 Trail Manor is an entirely different proposition than, say, a 1999 model.

For example, I was looking at a used 2001 2720SL in immaculate condition, for about $5,000 less than a new one. After looking at it a long time and thinking about it, I concluded that all of the improvements since 2001 might be worth $5,000. Just my opinion.

They are still, of course, all ingenious designs and light years ahead of the other "lightweight" bricks on the market.

Back to the original point, another significant improvement in the new models is the ability to plug in while folded up in the 2004's. That's a nice feature.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
CC_Turtle

regarding the 2004 bumper.. it may supposed to open while closed.. but you have to do alot of 'gentle pulling" on it to get it to go.. to me, if feels like i am forcing it to open.. not really sure how strong that plastic lid is.. hate to break that! something else TM can improve on..
Old 09-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
Windbreaker

They changed from a steel to a plastic lid? You're right I'm not sure I would like that. Too much direct sun all of the time. Not a secure step. Steel would have been better.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:52 PM   #8
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

The largest number of changes to the Trailmanors have come since the 2001 models. We looked at the 2001 models, but decided to wait another year. The differences from the 2001 and 2002 models are numerous. Since we bought our 2002 3326 model, numerous other changes have taken place. I think a lot has to do with being in the new factory and having the room to produce a better trailer and more of them. With the extra sales come more profits and money to change things on the Trailmanors. In the old factory, they were very limited in area and how many units could be produced.

Having talked to Keith Hulsey at the Harrisburg RV shows on several occassions, I am sure that they listen to what new buyers say on their surveys that they send back in along with the warranty registration. I know that I wrote a long book back in 1993 when we bought our first Trailmanor. The next year in 1994 when we bought our second unit, I again wrote a book about changes.

Over the years, I would send suggestions into Keith or Carol Hulsey.
Also, again in 2002 when we bought our third unit, I wrote another long list of suggestions. A lot of the ideas have come to production.

People have mentioned changes about the Trailmanor, but many people have never seen the first brochures that they put out. I know they had a limited budget for the brochures, but they were not very large. Instead of updating the colored brochure each year, a new blue and white brochure was made to show changes in floorplans and standard features. Once again, it's been only since 2001 that they have produced new brochures each year. Once again it all goes back to selling more units and having extra capital.

I'm sure that with increased Trailmanor sales, we will see other changes over the years.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:45 PM   #9
Happytrails

Bob, I have all of those old brochures, as well as a video.....yup, they've come a long way, and thank you for your suggestions over the years.........I can't remember tho who sent them to me, was it you?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...........[/glow]
Old 09-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Bill,

No it was not I who sent them to you, but I too have the original film back in 1993 showing them setting up in Robert Norris park in Tn. I think I spelled the park right, but not sure. The original film was a nice movie about the Trailmanor. Nothing against the new version, but the older version gave you a better idea of the unit. You had an older couple pulling the unit with a Plymouth mini van and backing into a campsite. From there they set up the unit step by step.

Also, I have brochures back to 1990 printed on them. They even had a 20 M model which would be a 2417 which was never made in later years when they changed model numbers. The closest to it would be the 2518. Also, they had a 25 M model (2922 but not made).

Things sure have changed. I even have the first review of the first Trailmanor ( 1983 ) in the Trailer Life magazine. I sent it to Carol Hulsey to put it on the website to show the evolution of the unit. Also, I sent her a copy of the 2nd review done in Trailer LIfe in 1996. The Trailmanor made the cover of the magazine. It was done in California, and it sure turned a lot of heads. That's where the market is today. Also, Carol has the latest review on the website done by Camping Life ( July/August 2003 issue). Nice review of the 2619 model.

Things sure have changed for the better in the Trailmanors.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote