TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
aulii

Default Towing with Jeep Cherokees

I have read a number of posts that make me very nervous about planning to use our '95 Cherokee as a tow vehicle for a TM 2720. Most of these posts focus on the transmission as the Jeep weak point. I would like to know how many of you have used these vehicles to towTMs and what your firsthand experiences have been ;D TIA

Paul
Old 08-07-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
Moonshot

Default Re:Towing with Jeep Cherokees

Hi,

When we bought our 1994 Cherokee 4WD Sport in 1998 we used it a few times to pull our 1963 24' Airstream. Even though we used a weight distribution hitch we knew the Jeep was not up to pulling the AS and did so only for a few trips, totaling maybe 800 miles. I never weighed the AS, but believe that with it loaded for a weekend trip it would be around 4200 lbs. That said, the transmission though strained did not give out. We still have the Cherokee and it's working fine at 136K miles, though we don't tow with it anymore. Just my personal experience for what it's worth.

Scott
Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #3
aulii

Moonshot,

Does your Cherokee have the towing package? Did you tow in overdrive?

Paul
Old 08-10-2003, 07:19 AM   #4
grkman1

I have a Grand Cherokee with V8 and have towed about 20000 miles with the trailmanor. Never a problem. Tow capacity on the Jeep is 6500 lbs. I use a weight distirubiton hitch also.

Jeep now has 80000 miles. I am thinking of replacing it, not because of transmission problems

Good Luck

George
Old 08-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Moonshot

Paul,

My Cherokee did not have the tow package, but I added a transmission cooler when I had the hitch put on. I would guess that some people have bad experiences with the transmissions in these models, but mine has been fine. I think it's hard to beat those inline 6 4.0 litre motors they've got for longevity.

Scott
Old 08-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
Moonshot

Oh, and yes I did tow in overdrive for awhile because I didn't know any better. Live and learn. :

Scott
Old 08-10-2003, 03:02 PM   #7
Happytrails

A while back I did post something about them and the transmissions not holding up, again, that was based on one person's opinion that worked at a transmission shop, and by no means is absolute. One thing concerning the tow packages that some might or might not be aware of is they have the two row radiator in them for sure rather than the one row. As everyone knows I'm in the automotive radiator business, and can say one thing about cherokee, and grand cherokee radiators......they're one of our biggest sellers. Not necessarily because they're all bad, but there are so many on the road. (We also happen to sell a LOT of Taurus radiators for the same exact reason btw). One other thing I happen to know is we do not even stock the one row versions for both.....they just don't hold up. Unlike some vehicles, there is no jerry rigging to get the two row radiators in them, they fit just right, and they hold up a LOT better. With the regular cherokee's, (4.0L which is what people would use to tow with), we sell a part number 78 for the early models through 91. This radiator is long, and very short, and has no filler neck, it has to be filled at the overfill bottle. The 78 is the two row.....for the 1992's and up, they take an 1193 which is a two row as well, and does have a filler neck. 1998's and up take one VERY SIMILAR to the 1193, but the condenser brackets are made on the radiator itself, part number is a 2188, though the aftermarket is working on making the 1193/2188 interchangable. This is different from the postal version, where everything is completely reversed. With the grand cherokees, the 1396/2232 if it has the 4 cyl, up to 1998, and the 1394/2230 for the V-8's. I include 4 different part numbers as they are identical except how the lower fan shroud sits, which most manufacturers in the aftermarket make them interchangable. (Slot mount/Clip mount). In the 1998's, they require a different radiator due to differences in the size of the upper transmission line, then in the 1999's and higher, there are two totally different radiators. Bottom line is there are basically only 4 different radiators for cherokee's and grand cherokee's that we sell, (for the most part), if we carried the one row versions, there'd be 8 different ones. If you are towing with your cherokee, I would keep an eye on the temp gauge and see if it starts creeping up. If it does, when the engine is cold, see if you can tell how thick it is, in the grand cherokee's, the one row isn't but 5/8" thick, the two row is 1 1/2" thick, pretty much the same thing with the regular cherokees. This is the same thing with the rangers, as well as the explorer's, one row vs. two row, difference is 1" thick, or 2" thick. For the explorers, tow package or not, we only sell the two row. Rangers are a bit different and can take a one row, but the one row in the Explorers doesn't hold up, nor do we sell the one row for them, they're just too much truck for such a thin radiator. In the full sized ford trucks, it's the same way, tho if you have the thin one, and want to go to the thick one, there is a small clearance issue, and you will have to cut a notch in the fan shroud to make it work. Some of our customers have no problem at all with it, others call us up cussing when it doesn't drop in and bolt it's own self up.....lol (Even though we tell them it can be done, and what they have to do to make it work). Lol, sorry for such a long post, thought I'd throw that in there since it is a very important part of a towing package a lot of people overlook. Most people think of the external trans cooler, and maybe the gearing in the differential(s), and totally overlook what kind of radiator is cooling the whole engine while they're towing up that steep grade. If anyone is concerned about it, you may email me at [email protected] And I'll happily give them more details on their particular tow vehicle. (Certainly wouldn't be the first time either). Being in the business, and being family owned for over 17 years, I can probably beat just about anyone's deal out there as long as my costs are covered, and we ship all over the US. Along the whole east coast, 1-2 days, mid west, two days, north and south west, 3-5 days max transit time if you were curious via UPS Ground. Oilspot can vouch for that, I shipped him a heavy duty 2 row radiator for his Civic at a good price, and it got to him exactly when I said it would. With all kinds of extra packing to make sure UPS didn't beat it up along the way. I will note if you own a newer Caravan, Town and Country, etc, you've already got the max that will go in it. They only use one, and it's more than enough to suffice it for towing. The older ones used a radiator not much bigger than the Civics believe it or not, and can be stepped up to a 3 row version. But the newer ones are just fine as they are (mid-late 90's). They're big enough to run the full width of the front end, and are a pretty thick 1 1/4 inch thick aluminum so they cool just fine. Also, if you own a Chevy truck 5.7L 1995 and up, you don't have anything to worry about either, they have a HUGE radiator in them that can cool it QUITE well.
Sorry for typing your eyeballs out guys, but felt it kinda belonged here under the towing rigs topics as it is directly related to the tow capacity of the different vehicles. A lot of people don't know, or aren't really aware, or simply never really thought about what it is that makes up a manufacturer's "Tow Package" and the vehicle's radiator is one of them. Most tow packages include an external transmission cooler, heavy duty springs in some cases, heavy duty power steering coolers in some cases, heavy duty alternator in some cases, gear ratio in other cases, and of course your hitch, and brake controller.......and also a HEAVY DUTY radiator to keep everything cool. Hope this info can be of help to people out there......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]