TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Safety Recall on **some** TM Propane tank OPDs

Got a letter today from a company named Recall Management, Inc that advised me that the overfill protection device (OPD) on my TM's propane tanks were installed with an incorrect valve. If you have tanks that meet the following criteria and do not get your own letter from Recall Mgt, you probably should call them at 800-420-7511.

Recall criteria:
1. Only applies to horizontal tanks (e.g. those on the front slide models).
2. Tank must be made by Manchester Tank (name is stamped on the tank collar.
3. Tank manufacture date must be between 01-02 and 10-02 (date is stamped on the tank collar).
4. Tank must NOT have the name "Sherwood" stamped on the valve handle.

If your TM's tanks do not meet all of the above criteria, you don't have a problem.

Unfortunately, mine did meet the criteria and my tank serial numbers are within the range of recall serial numbers. But, the good news is there is a local propane company that Recall Mgt likes...and the fix will only require taking my tanks in to have new valve assemblies installed. And they'll even replace the propane that's currently in the tanks. Parts should be shipped tomorrow and I should be all fixed up by the end of next week.

The bad OPD can allow the tank to be filled to more than the proper 80%. Combine an overfilled tank with a hot day and the overpressure valve will start to vent excess propane...which could be quite dangerous in a closed area such as a garage. And pretty much that exact scenario occured with my right tank about 6 weeks ago...had the tank filled, put it back on the TM, pulled the TM out into the hot afternoon sun to get it ready for a trip the next day (sun was shining directly on the tanks), and by around 5 pm I was hearing a slight hissing and could slightly smell gas around the right tank. Not enough to be really alarming but enough to be a bit unsettling. By evening the sun wasn't hitting the tank and the air started cooling and the tank quit hissing so I felt safe about putting the TM in the garage overnight. And I made sure to use the fuel in that tank first during that trip. No problems since...but I also haven't refilled the right tank since then either. So, other than the nuisance factor, I'm kinda, sorta glad this recall is happening.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re:Safety Recall on **some** TM Propane tank OPDs

Thanks for the heads up on that one Ray. It doesn't really apply to me, but all the other people out there may DEFINATELY benifit from that tidbit of info. I know it'd be pretty unnerving to find out propane was leaking out right under my couch, (or bed in my case as I don't have a SL model).

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 07-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Appreciate the praise. Yeah, this could be very important. I was concerned that there may be some people that have TMs with the horizontal tanks (this does NOT apply to any TMs with vertical mount tanks) who, for whatever reason, are not in TrailManor's database of registered owners and therefore would be unlikely to receive the recall letter
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:19 PM   #4

Thank you Ray. I just checked my tanks and one of them meets the recall criteria. If I dont receive a letter in the next few days, I will call Recall Management. Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:04 AM   #5
Larry_Loo

Ray,

Last night I read your propane tank recall message and determined to check my TM's tanks the next morning. Well, this morning I reread your message and noted that it includes only those tanks manufactured between 1/02 and 10/02. The light of day helped me to realize that my 1999 TM's tanks can't possibly fall within that span of dates.

But thanks anyway for your notice. It will be helpful to other TM owners, I'm sure. : :