TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

our avalanche is a 2500 w/ large v8 (8.1) this was from run back in feb. i just really do not track my mph, does not change that much towing or not, it just is what it is. at the time we was towing the 91 tm 23,

(out of east tenn over sams gap into ashville nc and down to columbia sc, lot of mountains that first 100 miles, made columbia got 12.5 mpg from there to tybee , got just under 15.5 mpg in the flat land)

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
PopBeavers

I think I have the small V8 Vortec 6.0

It might be important to note the gear ratio. Mine is 3.73.

This is easy to look up because I saved the window sticker..

fwiw sticker price was 39,589

I got it out the door for a little less than 30k. I liked the employee pricing for everyone.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I just want a warm fuzzy feeling that some other truck isn't out there getting 20 mpg in a crew cab long bed truck.
LOL...that's funny Wayne, I think all of us wonder about that some time. When I see people posting that their Ford got 22 MPG towing the camper I wonder dang, am I missing something.

My MPG numbers are right in line with what others are posting here, the Toyota trucks have never been known for their MPG numbers.
With the 2619 I was usually in the 12-14 range at 65MPH on average.
With the Elk I have been in the 11-13 range at 65 MPH on average.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
Bernbob

Thanks for all the posts and advise. I just got to read them today since we have been in NC ushering in the fall in our TM. I agree about the dry weight, nobody travels dry. But being just the two of us I am sure we will keep the added weight under 800lbs. Our mountains on the east coast are not like the mountains on the west coast, which is part of what we plan to drive this summer. I have done a little driving through them and they can be quite drastic to say the least. I hate to push a tv to its max and I think thats exactly what I would be doing if I went with the Tacoma, soooo I think I will keep with the Tundra. By the way, its a 2010, small V8 with tow package. Problem is, its a lease, and the lease end is coming up in a couple of months. I dont distinguish between city and highway milage. Truck came with a milage meter and it consistantly has gotten between 16.5 and 16.1 mpg driving both city and highway. Pulling the tm to and back from Ashville NC this past two weeks I got 16.1 mpg, which I understand is all highway. At any rate, the fall was beautifull, the campground was the cleanest and nicest private I have ever camped in(been camping for 44 years), and we had a absolute wonderful time. This is our second TM, and I doubt if we will ever have anything else. This is undoubtly a great site with great people about a great camper. Thanks all.
Bernbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
Scott O

I tow our 2720SL with an '05 4x4 Tacoma. (Which I absolutely love by the way!) It does a fabulous job, but I wouldn't consider towing anything heavier with it. Not only do you need to contend with the "going" but also the "stopping". In my always humble opinion anything heaver should be towed with something more robust.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Redhawk

Bernbob, was the campground the one on top of the hill over looking the river valley by chance. I can't remember the name of it, I just remember the view and the wild turkeys running around. Great area.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernbob View Post
Thanks for all the posts and advise. I just got to read them today since we have been in NC ushering in the fall in our TM. I agree about the dry weight, nobody travels dry. But being just the two of us I am sure we will keep the added weight under 800lbs. Our mountains on the east coast are not like the mountains on the west coast, which is part of what we plan to drive this summer. I have done a little driving through them and they can be quite drastic to say the least. I hate to push a tv to its max and I think thats exactly what I would be doing if I went with the Tacoma, soooo I think I will keep with the Tundra. By the way, its a 2010, small V8 with tow package. Problem is, its a lease, and the lease end is coming up in a couple of months. I dont distinguish between city and highway milage. Truck came with a milage meter and it consistantly has gotten between 16.5 and 16.1 mpg driving both city and highway. Pulling the tm to and back from Ashville NC this past two weeks I got 16.1 mpg, which I understand is all highway. At any rate, the fall was beautifull, the campground was the cleanest and nicest private I have ever camped in(been camping for 44 years), and we had a absolute wonderful time. This is our second TM, and I doubt if we will ever have anything else. This is undoubtly a great site with great people about a great camper. Thanks all.
I sort of question Toyota's computer generated gas mileage #'s. Our Prius dashboard tells us that we're sometimes getting 55 -56 mpg on a tank, but when I actualy fill up and calculate it, it's usually in the 50 - 51 mpg range.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
moaboy

I have had good luck with two Toyota's computer calculations -for both my Prius and Venza, although I don't compare actual and computer numbers regularly. I've actually got high 50's in my Prius when I drive close to the speed limit.
I'm also not real good about comparing how full I fill the tank as I know the computer does not do a good job of factoring in those variations.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
Bernbob

The campground was called Mama Gerties. They have a great website. I dont know about other seasons, but during the fall you had better have made reservations. Clean is an understatement. You feel like your the first person to walk into a brand new facility. And-----every single person working there were super friendly and helpfull. It was our first visit but hopefully wont be out last. Unfortunatly, we could only get water and electric, had to be very conservative for the six days, too lazy to haul the blueboy to the dump. Was a great time, just wish we could have stayed longer. Next spring we head for the middle of the Nation.
Bernbob is offline   Reply With Quote