TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Hohlraum

Default 2004 a good year?

Looking at a possible purchase on a 2004 3326K in the low teens. Seems to be in pretty good shape. Looks like the current owner has been pretty frugal with the caulk gun but from the sounds of it that's par for the course with TMs as they age

Few things I'm curious about:

1. Was told that the AC unit in this needs the 30A to work. Is that still the case even with the newer ones?

2. Do the newer trailers have more circuits to handle small appliances better etc?

3. My fiance seems to be pretty put off by the idea of the seals and the insulated flaps. She's convinced that being able to see daylight at various points/seams around the trailer equates to moisture/drafts etc.

4. How would you compare a new Ameri-lite with this 04. You still think the TM is a better quality purchase over all?

5. What about going with a newer TM for 5-6k more. Worth it or is a good deal on a '04 3326K something to not pass up?
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohlraum View Post
Looking at a possible purchase on a 2004 3326K in the low teens. Seems to be in pretty good shape. Looks like the current owner has been pretty frugal with the caulk gun but from the sounds of it that's par for the course with TMs as they age

Few things I'm curious about:

1. Was told that the AC unit in this needs the 30A to work. Is that still the case even with the newer ones?

2. Do the newer trailers have more circuits to handle small appliances better etc?

3. My fiance seems to be pretty put off by the idea of the seals and the insulated flaps. She's convinced that being able to see daylight at various points/seams around the trailer equates to moisture/drafts etc.

4. How would you compare a new Ameri-lite with this 04. You still think the TM is a better quality purchase over all?

5. What about going with a newer TM for 5-6k more. Worth it or is a good deal on a '04 3326K something to not pass up?
Thanks for the input.
Sounds like a pretty good deal on an '04 3326TM (if everything works). I know nothing about the Ameri-lite but I believe it is an upright travel trailer. Kinda camparing apples to oranges. Two completely different concepts. I will tell you that the TM will tow easier and fit in most garages better.

Be sure to get the date codes on the tires and batteries. If they haven't been replaced, you'll want to figure that into the cost of purchasing this trailer.

I can tell you that moisture and drafts are not a problem in any TM that I know of, if it is set-up correctly. Our TM is a '98 and has none of these issues.

The AC on the '04 works off of a 20A breaker (like most all single AC campers), however the 30A power cord must be pugged in. It can be plugged into a 15A outlet (with an adapter). The 15A outlet will usually run the AC but no other 110V items could be run at the same time. If you are plugged into a 30A outlet (found at most campgrounds), you will be able to run multiple items.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
greentrail

welcome Hohlraum!
Here are some quick answers and perspectives

1) Yes 30 is necessary to run the AC on the trailmanors and for that matter all RV's I'm aware of

2) I'm trying to think my 2006 2720 has one outlet by the sink and one by the stove and one on the floor near the bath. That's about it.

3) you can search this. I have been camping in 20 degree weather and some windy conditions. I haven't notice drafts but I know others have mentioned using swiming noodles or foam pipe insulation to fill those spaces.

4) Like apples and oranges. Depends on your needs. The TM will offer easier pulling, lower profile in the wind and your 26 closed might fit in a long garage. Best of all an excellent support group here! The Amerilite will offer access without popping up, more potential floor space maybe a slide depending on model. I would do a search on amerilite on rv dot net forum to see what the current quality is.

5) new is always nice but it depends on budget access to a good dealer etc.

That's a start I'm sure some ot the veterans can dive deeper.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Hohlraum

Yeah basically my Fiancé's biggest hold out is "we could buy a brand new trailer for this much" and her concerns about moisture/drafts the set-up etc. She keeps referring to it as a 'pop-up' lol. Trying to give her a say in all purchases from here on out

Another thing I was curious about is the use of the scissor jacks on the TMs. The seller was pretty adamant about never trying to use the scissor jacks on the TM for levelling; they should only be used for stabilization. Said to only level the TM at the wheels (using shims under the wheels on one side for example if the pad isn't flat. That seems contrary to what I've seen other people use their jacks for on travel trailers. Is this due to the lightweight construction of the custom TM frame or indicative of some other issue with the TM not being disclosed? Maybe something specific to this the largest of the TMs?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think 2004 was a good year. TMs went through a lot of evolution starting in about 2002, but most of it was completed by the time the 2004 models rolled out. I could be wrong about the dates of any of the following, but off hand, I seem to remember the following changes in that era.

Wood in shell frames replaced by aluminum
Spare tire moved from rear bumper to new rack underneath.
Carlisle tires replaced by Goodyear Marathons
Air conditioner moved from side-mount to roof-mount
Airco is bigger, and has better air distribution
"Elegant lites" replaced
New rear bumper configuration
New power cord stowage
Cubbyhole gone from the front of the SL models
Better floor support in the SL models
Slightly better converter (not much, but a little)
Addition of an outside light on the street side

and probably several others that I'm forgetting. Anyway, I owned a 2002 at that time, and remember being impressed by the changes that were incorporated in the 2004 models.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohlraum View Post
Yeah basically my Fiancé's biggest hold out is "we could buy a brand new trailer for this much" and her concerns about moisture/drafts the set-up etc. She keeps referring to it as a 'pop-up' lol. Trying to give her a say in all purchases from here on out

Another thing I was curious about is the use of the scissor jacks on the TMs. The seller was pretty adamant about never trying to use the scissor jacks on the TM for levelling; they should only be used for stabilization. Said to only level the TM at the wheels (using shims under the wheels on one side for example if the pad isn't flat. That seems contrary to what I've seen other people use their jacks for on travel trailers. Is this due to the lightweight construction of the custom TM frame or indicative of some other issue with the TM not being disclosed? Maybe something specific to this the largest of the TMs?
Well.....if she has a problem with it being a "Pop-Up", then, that's a problem because that's exactly what it is. It's the ultimate "Pop-Up" as apposed to being a "Crank-up.....

As for the levelers.......well, any trailer should have the initial leveling done with blocks of some sort under the low side tire(s) unless it has power-levelers that are designed for that. The manual levelers can do some minor leveling and in some cases, all of the leveling. The frame on the TM is very strong and not as conducive to bending or twisting as the traditional "Pop-up".

MY TM has electric levelers on it and I can level up to about 1 1/2". Although, I normally use Lynx Leveling blocks http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...set-of-4/24732 , to save wear & tear on my electric levelers (now 12-years-old).
Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Al-n-Sue

I have and '03 3124 KB and I have all the upgrades Bill mentioned except for the new bumper and power stowage. Also, I always use the scissor jacks to fine tune my level. I try to get close with blocks, then tweak it with the jacks.

I've been in some pretty cold and windy weather here in Colorado and not issues with air gaps. It is a pretty warm and toasty camper.

Good luck.
Alan
Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We have had two 3326 King TM's since 1994. We have been very happy with both units. We just ordered a new Elkmont 26. I am sure you would be happy with the 2004 unit, but it sounds like your significant other would be constantly finding fault with air leaks or seeing daylight in certain places. This would not make for a happy camping experience for you or her.This is just the nature of the beast. You can't have a folding trailer and not have some of these issues. You have to compare apples to apples. With anything there are always trade offs.

If I were you, I would look at an Elkmont which would eliminate all of these concerns. The Elkmont is still a very light trailer. Our 2002 3326 King weighs just like our new Elkmont 26. Of course you will be paying more money than a used 2004 model, but you will have a unit that is 7 years newer and a lot more changes than what you will find on the 2004 model. The Elkmont comes in 3 different floor plans in the Elkmont 24. If you live any where Texas RV, they sure have some great deals. At least with the Elkmont, you have a light weight trailer.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
We have had two 3326 King TM's since 1994. We have been very happy with both units. We just ordered a new Elkmont 26. I am sure you would be happy with the 2004 unit, but it sounds like your significant other would be constantly finding fault with air leaks or seeing daylight in certain places. This would not make for a happy camping experience for you or her.This is just the nature of the beast. You can't have a folding trailer and not have some of these issues. You have to compare apples to apples. With anything there are always trade offs.

If I were you, I would look at an Elkmont which would eliminate all of these concerns. The Elkmont is still a very light trailer. Our 2002 3326 King weighs just like our new Elkmont 26. Of course you will be paying more money than a used 2004 model, but you will have a unit that is 11 years newer and a lot more changes than what you will find on the 2004 model. The Elkmont comes in 3 different floor plans in the Elkmont 24. If you live any where Texas RV, they sure have some great deals. At least with the Elkmont, you have a light weight trailer.
Is that what they call, "Fuzzy math"???
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
greentrail

I see the suggestion for an elkmont but as someone who was looking at conventional trailers initially I have a hard time seeing how the elkmont can compete with traditional trailers like the amerilite. Yes the amerilite is 1K more in weight but I would argue that on the flats the profile is much more influential therefore there is less advantage. The trailmanor is priced at a premium (for premium features) costing 12-20K (prices in oodle) more than the amerilite (price from rvwholesalers). I'm just saying if you are going folding or "popup" the trailmanor is strong. If you decide to go conventional it's wide open. Personally I was impressed with heartland trailers when I was looking.

good luck