TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
rothko1

Default Soon to be new owner of used 2720SD

Hey everyone,
Found a nice used 2720SD and have a question regarding the WDH. I own a 2009 dodge ram crew cab 5.7L hemi with tow package class 4 hitch. The dealer has told me the the WDH is not necessary, but I see conflicting reports on this site with different vehicles. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
J
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
rumbleweed

I would say no with that vehicle. If you don't like the ride, you can always add it later.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Jim&Joan

Default Lots of info

This topic is pretty well covered. Use the search function to uncover them. I will say that although our 2720SL 'feels' okay on our F150 2WD, the rear end squats more than I think is acceptable. I get some of that back with a WDH. Trade off is between front end lift against trailer wheel load. You'll find plenty of reading here with good explanation.

Enjoy your TM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With regard to a WDH, the engine size doesn't matter. But the weight of the tow vehicle, and more particularly the wheelbase (yours is long) does matter. The presence of a Class 4 hitch and a factory tow package also matters, since it will have stiffened up your rear suspension. I'm with Bob on this one. I doubt that you'll need one, but you can always add it later.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
rothko1

Thanks, much appreciated. This will be my first experience with my own camper so just trying to make sure all t's are crossed. Really looking forward to getting things set up and head out with my girls. Thanks Again!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I agree with Bob & Bill. I doubt that you'll "need" a WDH. I have one and prefer not to use it because it increases stress on the trailer and just adds a PITA to setting up & tearing down.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
robertkennel

I tow a 2008 2720SL with a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with tow package and I don't feel I need anything.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
PopBeavers

I towed my 200 TM 2720 for 4 years behind a 2002 silverado 1500HD, which I think is smaller than your truck, and all was well, until I put two motorcycles in the bed of the truck. I was unable to remove the front wheel of the TM due to vehicle sag.

Switching to a 2500HD Sierra solved that problem.

I agree with the others. Start without the WD hitch. If you load the truck heavy, then you might need it. but I would wait until then.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Jim&Joan

Good point on the bed load. When measured and then loaded and had the squatting, I had a pretty good load in the bed with 2 sets of steel double tanks, an aluminum tank, full set of tech dive gear; all on top of clothing, tools, food and drinks. I manage the load as logically as possible, but getting the doubles in and out from too far forward is too difficult. So the doubles stay behind the rear wheels.

I ran into the wheel problem when folding up. I couldn't get the jack wheel off til I loaded the WD bars. I don't try to get all I can out of the WD for two reasons. One is to minimize transferring too much weight to the trailer tires. The other is that with a swing hitch, I notice that in a slow manuevering turn, the swing hitch pin interfers with the WD bar on the street side.

After a couple more shortish trips I hope we feel we have things worked out load/supply wise that I will get some axle weight measurements and get a quantitative idea of what loading the WD is moving.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Joan View Post
Good point on the bed load. When measured and then loaded and had the squatting, I had a pretty good load in the bed with 2 sets of steel double tanks, an aluminum tank, full set of tech dive gear; all on top of clothing, tools, food and drinks. I manage the load as logically as possible, but getting the doubles in and out from too far forward is too difficult. So the doubles stay behind the rear wheels.

I ran into the wheel problem when folding up. I couldn't get the jack wheel off til I loaded the WD bars. I don't try to get all I can out of the WD for two reasons. One is to minimize transferring too much weight to the trailer tires. The other is that with a swing hitch, I notice that in a slow manuevering turn, the swing hitch pin interfers with the WD bar on the street side.

After a couple more shortish trips I hope we feel we have things worked out load/supply wise that I will get some axle weight measurements and get a quantitative idea of what loading the WD is moving.
I know loading those doubles in the front is a PITA, but it would really help with weight distribution. The few times that I have traveled with scuba equipment, I have the tanks, weights and gear right up there next to the cab, along with my generator (80 lbs), firewood, and anything else really heavy as close a feasible towards the front of the truck. My empty tote (which I seldom use), bike gear and other light stuff then goes toward the rear of the bed. Inconvenient???......yes, but that means I don't have to tighten down that WDH as much.

BTW.....I have never dove with doubles......I don't think I could even stand up with those puppies on.