TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
jkheaney

Default Search for TV

Thank you all for your input to this forum. You have been instrumental in our decision to purchase a 2720SL.
Now the tow vehicle. We had planned to use our 09 Odyessey. Tho many of you are towing with this unit, we plan to spend a lot of time out west,and Grants Pass is a heartbreaker.
I,ve spent the day looking at a lot of junk at used car lot,and finally ended up looking at a new Frontier SE that seems like a good prospect. According to Trailer Life ,it can tow 6K. My concern is with the wheel base,and if the trailer would be driving the truck. Anyone out there with this combination?

Thanks again, it's back to the hunt tomorrow>
John
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The wheelbase of 126 inches should be great.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I just finished helping a friend do all the math on the new Frontier.

Be very careful with Tow Ratings. They usually mean little to people that are camping with passengers and cargo. They basically tell you what the maximum towing capacity of the truck is "Empty".

I would strongly recommend that you put all the figures in this calculator before you make a new purchase that you may regret later.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

It's important that you use real figures in this calculator, so it will take some time to get all the correct facts. It's best to assume that your TM will be at or near it's GVWR while traveling. Also be realistic about the weight of cargo and passengers. You should use a figure of about 500# tongue weight (if you haven't already weighed it).

When we did the calculations for my friend (using a 20% safety margin) she was maxed out at 3800# for the trailer with that truck. That's still not bad but it's a far cry from 6000#.

I just didn't want you to think that the Frontier is something that it isn't. It should be adequate but just understand that it may be barely adequate depending on what you carry.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
PopBeavers

A lot depends on what you take with you.

The one time I weighed my TM, it was 3380 on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue. Total weight for a wet and loaded TM 2720 is about 4,100 pounds.

When I was towing it with my 2002 Chevy 1500HD all was good for 4 years. Had no use for a WD hitch.

Then I put two motorcycles in the bed of the truck, along with tools, etc. I had to jack the TM tongue up a bit after hitching up so that I could remove the TM front wheel. The extra cargo in the bed of the truck caused a lot more sag than I thought it would.

Instead of adding a WD hitch we bought a bigger truck. The 2500HD does not have the same sag characteristics. The 1500HD now is used to tow the ATV trailer.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
jkheaney

OK, did the calculator....close...so today I'm onto a 2007 chevy 1500 with the 5.3 V-8(my mechanic recommended the 5.3 over the 4.9) Think this unit will be a little overkill...until I reach Grant's Pass and I'm able to go up AND DOWN safely. And I'll try it without a weight distribution hitch.
Thanks again for taking your time to answer my questions.
John