TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
The3ofus

Smile Honda Ridgeline towing my TM

Well,
After reading the info on this Great Site and Ridgelineowners Site and Pm's from others who have pulled their TM with the Ridgeline. I noticed some use a sway, or WDH and some Don't use anything. I decided for now to stay with just the sway bar as an add on when towing. My first 500 mile trip was here in southern Missouri where there is plenty of rolling and steep hills. I have a small place hidden in the hills back in the National forest. When I hit the gravel unimproved road I stopped and took the sway control off. This was one thing I remember someone recommending and also not to back up with it attached. So this being said, The RL towed the TM just fine, probably just as good as my Silverado did. Had to actually at times look in the rearview mirror to remind myself I am pulling a trailer. It rev's a little more but it is a V6 and I got 14.3 mpg, not bad for first pull. The Tm was loaded with all camping gear, bedding, Tv, Micro,chairs, food, no water but both propane tanks were full. Also RL was loaded with chainsaw, oil, gas, 50' of rope and chains, deer hunting blind, guns/ammo, cooler full and etc... The primitive road I go in on is very rutty, rocky and bascially used only when I go there, one way in and one way out. Again, I do consider all recommendations on the setup of this vehicle and might have to consider another setup later. I wasn't able to stop at the weigh station on my trip do to heavy tractor trailer traffic but this is one thing I would like to do in the future for piece of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-17-09_1551.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	4238   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-17-09_1554.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	4239   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-17-09_1550.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	4240   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-18-09_1459.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	4241   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-20-09_1706.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	4242  

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Most people find the sway-bar unnecessary with the TM. I have never had to use one (although I do have a brand new one), even when towing with my previous S10 pick-up in high winds in the California desert. I'm not suggesting that you don't use it, I'm just stating my experience and the experience of several others on this forum.

I think that it's good that it tows well without the WDH. The WDH has it's advantages on some vehicles and may certainly add weight to your front axle which is a good thing. However, as in everything there are trade-offs.

The WDH will certainly add better braking and control to the front axle. It will also make for a smoother ride in the TV. However, the WDH hitch is a weight distributing bridge that equalizes load and shock both directions and could actually have an adverse effect on the trailer axle, tires and brakes in some instances. I choose not to use our WDH even though it does make me feel like the whole rig is better stabilized and gives a smoother ride when I do use it.

MY TM is right at GVW capacity (especially tires). I feel that adding more stress to the trailer tires (by using a WDH) could cause issues at some point so I choose to avoid it. I also find hooking and unhooking the WDH a PITA. For those TM's with higher rated tires, lighter loading or a lighter TV than mine, the WDH may be a better option for sure.

If the TV is experiencing control issues in the front end while towing, the WDH is an absolute must. One thing that I would recommend is measuring the distance from the center of your wheel to the top of the wheel well (without the trailer). Then measure the distance again after hitching up. You know that the distance will be less in the rear after hitching up but if the distance in the front increases, you may want to consider using the WDH. Front wheel control on the TV is far more important than early tire failure on the TM.

BTW....I'm a little surprised that your Ridgeline only got 14.3MPG. On our long trip last summer, we got 17MPG avg on our Silverado V8. We get 16.5 on the shorter trips. We use our Silverado exclusively for towing.