TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
bfezel

Buck,

I tow my 3124KS with a 2002 Tundra and I love the combination. The Tundra has 59K miles on it and I'm not sure that I would swap even for anything on the new lots today (including the new Tundra). At the same time I'm not one of those guys who have to have a new vehicle every couple of years. They simply cost too much! I prefer to drive one at least 200K and more if it is still performing well. Personally I would keep the Tundra and spend my money on enjoying the TM.

Bill
Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Bob&Karen

We tow our 3124KS with an Expedition with no problems at all. We just got back from Tucson and you really can't tell the TM is there unless you get in really mountainous areas. At that point, I just turn off the overdrive. We averaged 14.5 mpg for the entire trip.

Bob
Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
SCBillandJane

If I am remembering correctly, the 2000 Tundra came with a 4 speed transmission and only an access cab. Rocky Mtn Ray modified his to meet his requirements in your area. I have to agree that it will work, but you need to read all the opinions and adapt it to your situation. I have a 2003 4 Runner that has the same engine, I think, 4.7 liter and a 5 speed transmission that makes it more suitable as far as power. It is rated to tow 6,500 pounds. I could have used the 4 Runner. However, I bought a 2007 Tundra with a 10,000 pound rating to tow with because I want to tow long distances with a big safety margin, and my daily drive is very short when not towing. I want, not need, the extra comfort of more room than a Tacoma, and there was no significant difference in price because of the incentives at that time. I want to be able to carry more stuff in the bed including maybe gas for a generator. My wife can't tolerate the smell of gas coming from a gas can that she would smell in the back of a Sequoia. I have also found that there should be some consideration given for extra power to accelerate on to interstates and out of parking lots on to main roads. I think that you are very wise in asking the advice of the experts. Next I would take some time and adapt the suggestions to your camping style and to how much stuff that you want to take with you and how many people. Do you want to carry firewood, grills, bikes, an inflatable boat, fishing gear, other bulky items, or are you used to taking little more than a tent? There are many tow vehicles that will work as you have seen from the posts. I am happy with my decision as they are with their decisions because they work for their situations. In no way am I suggesting only Toyota. I just used their models because I know more about their engines and sizes. Good luck. There is a one that will fit your camping style including maybe what you already have.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Al-n-Sue

Buck - FWIW - I'll be towing my 2003 3124kb (to be delivered Apr 1) with my 2001 Durango - it has 140k miles and is in great condition. I plan to drive it till at least 200k. I know that sounds unusual for an American car, but I take good car of it, regular oil changes and inspections by the dealer, and even fix the little things that typically go wrong with older vehicles. If I were buying now, I'd probably go with the majority of the suggestions here - Toyota of some kind. We have friends who tow their 3214kb with a V-6 4Runner. Not a performance producer, but it does the job. They just take it slow.
If I were you, I'd keep the Tundra!
Good luck - hope to run across you sometime in the Rockies.
Alan
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Buck Mills

Default Pretty Much Decided, at least for Now

Thanks, a lot of good comments.

I'll stick with my Tundra for a while...

I'll probably spend a little money on it now, new brakes, shocks, I'd kind of like a new stereo/nav system with backup cam...
I got the steel wheels on my Tundra and they are starting to rust a little maybe get new wheels and the bumper also looks pretty bad, maybe that can be touched up. But I can probably handle all the repairs for 2-3 months of new truck payments. It HAS been a good vehicle except for some disappointment in the MPG.

It is comfortable ... and it can tow my rig.

I am kind of a gadget freak and I use an iPod for music and a GPS for traveling. Right now I run a cassette adapter to the current stereo to pay the iPod, I have a cig lighter charger for the iPod and another charger for a portable GPS that I attach with a suction cup mount to the window. The ipod is in a cup holder device. This works but it is kind of a mess of wires. I'm looking at the Kenwood 7100 which includes a Garmin GPS on the Kenwood 6.9" screen and the iPod can be in the glove box and have full control of music from the Kenwood screen. Shell out a little more and I can have a backup cam or even two. One for the hitch and one for the back of the trailer. No more mess in the cab.

Thanks again